Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, April 18, 2012
This review is from: The Joy Factory SmartSuit3 - Ultra Slim Snap On Stand/Case with Wake up/Sleep Cover for iPad 4th/3rd/2nd Gen - Black (CSA103) (Personal Computers)
I went to a retail store in New York City that specializes in Apple products and looked at their array of ipad3 covers. Of all, I liked The Joy Factory SmartSuit3 (in black). It appeared to be the sleekest and least bulkiest of the lot while offering some degree of protection. It also had a better feel to it than another relatively sleek ipad3 cover I was previously eying, namely, the STM Bags Grip.

Note that the pictures of the SmartSuit3 on the Amazon web site don't do it any justice as the pictures are too dark (i.e, black) so you are unable to see properly its textured appearance, which is one of its great features. If you check availability at various vendors and check it out in person, you will likely highly appreciate its look and "feel" (on your skin/hands). It is truly "slick", chic, and professional in appearance. (Note that the pictures of the bronze color version of the SmartSuit3 do give some level of indication of the textured appearance but still doesn't quite capture the actual textured look of the black version)

The SmartSuit3 comes in three colors - black, bronze, and white. I did not like the white version that I have seen in person but individual tastes vary considerably. Looking at the bronze version in person, it appears to be a little lighter (less brown) than depicted in the pictures. Of all three colors, I liked the black the best.

Unlike the Smartsuit3, a lot of other ipad covers cover the bezel thus taking away from the chic Apple design and look. For instance, of what use is a white ipad, if the white bezel is covered? Covering up the bezel not only makes a cover appear relatively bulky, but it also is a hindrance/obstacle when using your hand to swipe across the ipad screen near its edges. After spending $500+ for a slim Apple ipad, it instead seems to make the most sense to get a cover that reveals the ipad bezel while still being the slimmest/sleekest and chic ipad cover. Based on my examining about 20 covers at a retail store, the Joy Factory SmartSuit3 seems to be the pick of the lot that meets this criterion.

I also give the SmartSuit3 extra points as it is designed in the USA (although made in China). Also I appreciate the little "green" touches such as the reusable packaging cover and the internal protection-packaging material that is designed to work as a mouse-pad. These small green gestures gives you a sense of the culture behind the company that makes the SmartSuit3 and I am happy to give them my business!

UPDATE AS OF NOVEMBER 28, 2012
My ipad (with the smartsuit3 cover on) was in an extremely thin cloth bag when the bag slipped out of my hands and fell on the concrete sidewalk. I had to hold my breadth as I checked to see if the ipad "survived" the fall. Thankfully it did and I give the smartsuit3 credit for having protected it. I am generally a careful person and rarely drop anything. However, on the occasion that I did, I am happy that I had an ipad cover. This more than justifies the price I paid for the cover!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2012 5:29:54 PM PDT
C. Welch says:
Might I ask where in NYC you found this? Not seeing it at Tekserve or other places I typically check for Apple accessories.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 8:06:37 PM PDT
Dravid says:
I too did visit Tekserve where I saw a variety of ipad cases but unfortunately, Tekserve did not have it. I instead had seen the SmartSuit3 at Adorama (42 West 18th Street, New York City, NY 10011). It had also seen it at DataVision (445 5th Avenue, NY, NY 10016). You can also try B & H (420 9th Ave, NY New York 10001). In all cases, I strongly recommend that you call them in advance to check if it is available in stock and in the store for display (for instance, it is currently out of stock at J & R). Also when you go to the store, it may be helpful to get a print out from their web site so they can track it by SKU (when I went to the Adorama store, for instance, and asked to see a couple of items that were not on display, they had it sent up from their basement stock-room to the store upstairs). Having the SKUs can therefore be handy! Note that the black version of this case is hard to come by, so it you are only interested in this color, call ahead to check availability.

I recommend that you go to their web site, print out the SKU information

Posted on May 4, 2012 8:49:16 PM PDT
Dravid says:
Another site ( the wire cutter) has also rated SmartSuit3 #1 in comparison to other ipad covers. Here is the link for their comparison of covers:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›