5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this show is Justifiable, May 19, 2010
This review is from: Justified: Season 1 (DVD)
As a heartbroken fan of Nip/Tuck, which just ended its 6 season run, I was keeping an eye out for another FX show I could enjoy. With FX, original series can be either hit (Nip/Tuck, Dirt) or miss (The Riches). Justified is a show I normally wouldn't have looked at even once. Being a city girl at heart, I'm not a fan of westerns or anything country. One thing I am a fan of is Timothy Olyphant. When I saw one of my favorite actors (brilliant in "Hitman") was going to be in a new show, I of course had to watch. A pleasant surprise awaited me.

It's as if Timothy Olyphant was born to be US Marshal Raylan Givens, a good ol' country boy with personal issues. After shooting a man in Miami old west style ("It was justified"), Raylan is punished by being sent back to his old home town in Kentucky to work the local cases, many involving people he knows. His estranged father, former best-friend-turned-criminal, an old flame and a complicated ex wife round out the engaging cast of colorful characters. Raylan has a reputation for being a bit trigger-happy, a branding he hardly thinks is fair ("only if it's justified"). He is never without his 10 gallon hat (unless someone steals it), he can talk down a hostage situation with whiskey and a bucket of fried chicken, or shoot a guy for "taking one more step". It's all in a day's work for Raylan.

Justified is one of those shows that makes you forget you're watching a show being acted by actors. It's as though you are observing actual people live their lives. I feel like I'm in the scene, watching everything unfold before me. The dialogue is fresh, gritty, real and absolutely hilarious. The characters bounce between utterly ridiculous and completely relatable. And the actors, everyone from the main stars to the day players are right on the money.

If you haven't yet seen Justified, do yourself a favor and catch it when it re-airs on FX. Watch it On Demand. Or wait for the DVD's to come out. If you don't give this show a chance, well, that ain't civilized.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2011 12:21:46 PM PST
B. Cash says:
Ditto

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 8:58:05 PM PST
S. Roberts says:
Hubby and I just started watching this about a month ago and thoroughly enjoy it. Maybe it's because we live in Lexington, KY and know where a lot of the places featured in the show are located. Anyway, I totally agree with this excellent review and look forward to seeing it on TV for many more seasons.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 10:20:47 PM PDT
Atos says:
very real for those of us who have never even been in a mining hilbilly area, but is it real to life who cares it is good

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 7:45:03 AM PDT
S. L. Savell says:
I just like looking at Raylan Givens. He could brush his teeth in only his tight jeans in the bathroom for an hour and I would watch it. Over and over again.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:14:17 AM PST
Brook Worm says:
If you're a big fan of TO and don't mind letting your city-girl heart wander now and then, you should at least watch the first episode of Deadwood. I'd be willing to bet it will have you hooked to watch the whole series! It takes place in frontier-era Dakota Territory in the real-life gold-rush mining town of Deadwood and is Shakespearean in scope and period-appropriate language. The plot is full of fun and surprises and the acting uniformly excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:35:01 PM PST
Thank you for the recommendation. I am not too-city to remain open minded to all options. I will definitely have to take a look at Deadwood.I love Shakespeare and you've made it sound very interesting.

Thanks again! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:25:21 PM PST
Lee Haskell says:
Back-off SL. I saw him first :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 3:58:23 PM PST
DEADWOOD is a great show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 3:25:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 3:26:05 PM PST
Sophie says:
This cracked me up, great comments :-)

Now I have to buy the series to see what this is all about!

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:41:27 AM PST
baltomd says:
Can't believe you didn't like The Riches. Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver? It was brilliant! All the same, Justified sounds like fun too. Adding it to my queue!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (13,320 customer reviews)
 (10,156)