1,566 of 1,591 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars plz read the fine print, September 23, 2010
amazon's service net EW policy DOES NOT necessarily mail someone a new kindle before asking for the damaged one back. everyone really does need to read all that fine print on these contracts. for example: service net specifically says, 'We will replace the original purchased Product specified on your Amazon.com order with a new or REFURBISHED [my emphasis] unit, provided such replacement is authorized and necessitated by Product operational or mecanical failure during normal usage...You must obtain authorization prior to the receipt of a replacement Product by calling 1-877-441-3836...You will be REQUIRED to provide a credit card to secure the return of Your failed Product. If you do not return the failed Product within a reasonable time period (which will be communicated to you at the time of your claim, your credit card will be charged for the replacement unit. Once authorization is obtained, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO RETURN THE PRODUCT USING A PREPAID SHIPPING LABEL PROVIDED BY US. At Our determination, You will receive a replacement Product of like grade and quality...We reserve the right to replace the Product with a remanufactured or refurbished Product.'

for ADH (accidental damage from handling) issues: service net says, 'ADH only covers operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling and does not include protection against theft, mysterious disappearance, misplacement, viruses, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct..., cosmetic damage and/or other damage that does not affect the unit functionality, damage caused during shipment between You and Our service providers and ANY OTHER LIMITATIONS LISTED IN THE LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE SECTION. (there's lot of goodies there, so plz read that section)...

plz note that if you purchase the square trade EW (extended warranty, pronounced EWWWW) for your kindle (which is actually $39.99, only $10 cheaper than the service net policy), and you submit a claim for accidental damage (the operative word here after all is 'accidental' since both policies have disclaimers regarding 'reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct...cosmetic damage, etc.'), YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY A $50 DEDUCTABLE. add that on to the $40 bucks you parted with for the EW and you have half the price of the kindle 3. also, square trade says, 'If protective items such as covers, carrying cases or pouches, etc., were provided OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR USE WITH PRODUCT, it is expected that You will continually use these product accessories for protection against damage to the product. Abuse is defined as Your intentional non-utilization of protective items during product use...Any resultant damage from this type of treatment in NOT covered by the ADH progam.'

so, gentle readers, it all comes down to that customer service rep that takes your call or handles your claim online.

you can expect your claim to service net to result in this: 'The use of this coverage (ADH) REQUIRES AN EXPLANATION OF WHERE AND WHEN THE ACCIDENT OCCURRED AS WELL AS A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE ACTUAL EVENT. FALIURE TO PROVIDE THIS INFORMATION WILL RESULT IN CLAIM DENIAL.' period, case closed.

be careful with your kindle, use a case or protective pouch, and keep your $40 or $50 bucks to buy new reading material or save up for the next generation. dealing with these EW claims will be frustrating at the very least. kudoos to those above who escaped the pain.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 9:51:28 AM PDT
Hi Three Cats,

This is John from SquareTrade. I wanted to respond to two points in your review, and mention about SquareTrade's warranty for the Kindle.

Buying an extended warranty is a subjective matter, everyone has their own comfort level for the piece of mind that a warranty provides. Other factors apply, of course, like the way claims are handled and what, if any additional costs, are involved when filing a claim.

First, there is no additional charge damaged Kindle claims at SquareTrade, we've waived the $50 deductible for all damage claims, except for those on cellphones.

And no hassle, at SquareTrade, we understand that customer service and efficiency is paramount when a customer is filing a claim, so we provide as hassle free a process as possible when your item fails.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at johnhelps@squaretrade.com.

John H, SquareTrade, Outreach

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 12:40:01 PM PDT
three cats says:
that's great for you to say, but the contract speaks differently:
"What is covered:
· Mechanical and electrical failures that occur during normal use of your item. Your item is covered for up to
the full purchase price of your item (tax and shipping are excluded).
· Some examples of covered issues include computer hard drive failures, iPod batteries that stop charging,
cell phone keypads that get stuck, and digital camera sensor failures.
· If Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Protection was purchased, the Service Agreement expands to
include damage from liquid spills, item drops, or any other accidental damage. ADH coverage begins 30
days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible
applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items.
· ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or
loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items."

now, this was taken directly off the amazon website, under 'SquareTrade 3-Year Electronics Warranty Plus Accident Protection (Electronics $175-200) also, under the 'Technical Details', it specifically says: 'Claims: SquareTrade will fix the item or pay you the full replacement cost of the item. $50 deductible when claiming on a damaged item.'

you should know that the ADH doesn't even kick in until 30 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE. that being said, i guess we should put our kindles up for 30 days just to be on the safe side. i also didn't like the fact that after the 30 waiting period, there is that great disclaimer about 'willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss'.

If the details are different than what you have advertized, then you should change the descriptions. for now, i'll believe what is published.
and yes, some customer service reps are helpful...others are not.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010 2:55:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2010 9:40:53 AM PDT
Hi Three Cats,

I understand about using what the contract says. We've just recently made that adjustment to only charge the deductible on cellphones, so the contract hasn't been updated yet. But we are not currently charging the deductible and that will be updated in a future edition of the contract.

And you are correct that there's an exclusionary period for the first 30 days after you buy the warranty and that we don't cover loss, theft or willful damage. We're not insurance, so there are going to be issues that we do not cover, and we make it clear what is and isn't covered. I don't believe that there are any warranty product for the Kindle that will cover it for theft or loss, unless you can roll it into your home insurance.

As for only some reps being helpful, we empower every one of our agents to be customer focused. It might not happen all the time, but I think most of our customers would rate us pretty highly in terms of customer service. But even as I'm writing this, I know that its going to come off as company spin; I certainly would take anything like this from a company drone with a few grains of salt. You might want to check some Kindle boards and do a search for SquareTrade to check out actual reviews from Kindle users.

John H, SquareTrade

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 3:26:32 PM PDT
LOVE ROMANCE says:
My husband gave me the 1st kindle last Christmas and it had some problems...I did not have an EW. I had to return it to Amazon and they sent me a refurbished kindle. Also they gave me a gift certificate. I can ony say that they treated me fairly and I was very happy. I recently purchased the new kindle $189 it is not 30 days yet. No I have not purchased an EW contract. I am just going to take my chances. It is covered for one year. So if it goes after that then I will simply purchase another. I love my kindle. I am a reader, so I will definitely purchase another. Kindle is the best. Love it and I love Amazon.com. As for the customer service, 95% are terrific, I have only experience very few who are not. But just because a few is not I still rate the service....98.2%. I like Amazon.com. No one is perfect, but they will do all to resolve your issues....

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 6:45:20 AM PST
mochapie says:
Excellent, informative commentary-thank you! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 4:49:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2010 3:24:19 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 9:14:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010 9:15:28 PM PST
Cherubian says:
Three cats, as someone who has dealt with many legal issues concerning contracts, what is in writing will carry more weight and be binding under the law. Square Trade may have retracted the $50 deductible and do things a little differently than stipulated in the contract, but the contract is binding and his words of change are just words until it is in writing.

So you are correct and customers should beware, I am not saying Square Trade will not honor their word, only that what is in writing is binding and anything less is not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2010 6:12:20 PM PST
Drew L says:
Let's not forget that it does cost $35 for the cover itself, another $30 for the warranty is a total of $65 in protecting the investment.
You could sell it for more than that on ebay (even after 1 year's usage), thereby using that money for getting the next gen kindle.
Further, Amazon's ads show the kindle being used without cover and in a jeans pocket, so I as a consumer would question warranty terms that would say use a cover if one is available. I love squaretrade for warranties because of low prices and good customer service.

I do think spending one fifth of the cost of the item on the warranty and then having to buy a cover making the cost of the item one half more than the selling price just to maintain contractual obligations is a bit too much.

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 2:47:06 PM PST
Hi three cats...
Just wanted to say thank you very much for your comments. I was just about to hit the "go" button, but decided to read your thoughts on the matter. Needless to say, I'll keep my $40:00/$50:00 for a replacement battery when needed, or next Gen.
Happy Holidays !
Mike

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 10:29:29 PM PST
I am so grateful for people who take the time to tell me the truth. Thank you for your honest opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›