5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Best Season Yet., June 25, 2009
This review is from: Smallville: Season 8 (DVD)
I am one of the rare "Smallville" fans that greatly prefer the darker seasons of late to the light-hearted, freak-of-the-week seasons that the show started with. Season 8 introduced the marvelous Tess Mercer (as excellently portrayed by Cassidy Freeman) who filled the shoes of an MIA Lex Luthor with more charisma and grace than, dare I say it, the great Michael Rosenbaum in the past couple seasons. Also among the characters this year is Davis "Doomsday" Bloome, who is taken to the next level by Sam Witwer, who plays the role in such a way that the viewers can actually sympathize for the tortured, lonely murderer that Davis has unfortunately become.

There are only two problems that I have with season 8. The first is that around episodes 8.03-8.05, the show lagged. A lot. The episodes, I thought, were quite boring and just not the best work that the "Smallville" writers have put forth. Specifically 8.03 "Toxic," which could've been a fantastic exploration of Justin Hartley's Oliver "Green Arrow" Queen character but ended up being a bland, practical snorefest.

The second problem is the Lana-arc in episodes 8.10-8.14. While 8.10 "Bride," 8.11 "Legion," and 8.12 "Bulletproof" were all outstanding and Kristin Kreuk delivered on every front in her reprisal as Lana Lang, the storyline of giving Lana super powers was extremely unwelcome to most fans (myself included) and, if anything, ruined what could've been a perfect end to the lengthy Clark/Lana storyline that has haunted "Smallville" since the first episode. 8.14 "Requiem" is a good episode, mind you, but the poorly done super!Lana storyline brings it and 8.13 "Power" down as the worst episodes of the season.

Now, there are definitely some blockbuster episodes that were perfect, in my eyes. The entire slew of episodes from 8.15 to 8.21 were brilliant - specifically 8.15 "Infamous," 8.16 "Turbulence" (a brilliant and emotionally raw exploration of the characters - specifically Jimmy Olsen), 8.18 "Eternal," and 8.21 "Injustice." Watching this season, I was in awe at how much the actors and actresses - and their characters - have grown since they were first introduced to us and I have yet to be disappointed by the work turned in by the fantastic Tom Welling, the outstanding Allison Mack, and the stunning Erica Durance.

Overall, I highly recommend that new viewers catch this season when its on sale and all "Smallville" fans should purchase this boxset as soon as it's released. As we enter season 9, which may very well be our last "Smallville" season, I have high hopes that the show will kick it into high gear and go out with a bang.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2009 9:52:05 PM PDT
Ryan says:
I agree with everything you said. If more people thought this way, then season 9 probably wouldn't be the last. Sure, season 8 wasn't flawless, but when was Smallville ever flawless? Like you said, this season was really dark, and that made it appealing compared to some of its campier moments.

You have my helpful vote! :)

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 7:47:45 AM PDT
Derek Gayle says:
You have many of the same thoughts as I do, except...how could you not mention "Beast"? That was probably my favorite episode of the season!

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 7:06:15 AM PDT
I also agree with everything you said. The super powered Lana Lang was indeed a lame way for the Clark/Lana saga to end. But I guess they dragged their relationship out for so long that it grew harder and harder for them to end the relationship. No better way then to end it with Lana being infused with a suit that absorbed Kryptonite. She truly is his weakness now. I do like the darker edge to Smallville in season 8. I recently purchased season 1-7 and have been re-watching it back-to-back and it's been a blast but the freak-of-the-weak is a little laughable compared to how season 8 ended. I do agree that every Smallville fan should buy season 8 and and every smallville fan should definitely tune in to season 9 and hopefully with all the viewers through season 9 and the sales of season 8 we can keep smallville afloat.

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 6:07:12 PM PDT
I guess I'm the only one who likes Lana ending up with superpowers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2009 10:17:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2009 10:19:19 PM PDT
Maggy says:
I didn't hate it, per say, but I do agree that it was painful to watch the backsliding with that storyline. Basiclly I began to REALLY enjoy Lana as a character starting eith season 5. She finally stopped being SUCH a reactive character and came into her own. She had her own motivations and got dark. However, with the inclusion of Lois Lane, it was time to let Kristin Kruek shine in another role. I truly enjoy her as an actress and I hope to see her succeed in other projects.

It would be some enjoyable mental candy to hear that she works for the League, only she can NEVER come into contact with Clark. Thus we'd get to know that she as a person is still fighting the good fight (something that seemed to REALLY mean something to her) but we don't have to ACTUALLY see Lana on the show. The best of both worlds as it were... anyone else agree?

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 7:46:03 PM PST
Julie B says:
I thought this had an Asian man in the lead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 3:50:59 AM PST
Jennifer... I agree the "super powered Lana Lang was indeed a lame way for the Clark/Lana saga to end." But like you said " No better way then to end it with Lana being infused with a suit that absorbed Kryptonite. She truly is his weakness now."
That aside season 8 was great. With no Michael Rosenbaum, I wondered, but it was a breath of fresh air. Season 9 is doing great as well. If they keep the quality up as they are I say season 10? Bring it on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 3:53:40 AM PST
Julie Blattenbauer says:
I thought this had an Asian man in the lead.

It does. "Fried rice man!" Smartass.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (399 customer reviews)

$34.96 $27.39