5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black) (Camera)
I think the camera is an amazing buy for the money. I was able to unpack the contents & begin shooting good pictures IMMEDIATELY, using the fully automatic settings & the included partially charged battery. You will however, need to supply an SD Card as this is not included, not even a small one.

The menu was a LITTLE confusing at first, but I quickly got the gist of things and am taking good pictures with the camera. Having used the full-auto settings and just dabbling with the advanced settings, I'm very pleased with the purchase and I think anyone who is either new to DSLR cameras or who doesn't want to spend over $1000 for a 'pro' or 'prosumer' DSLR will also be very happy with it right out of the box... or ANY of the T series cameras for that matter.

If you're going to be shooting in RAW (or like I do in RAW+L) I recommend getting AT LEAST a 16GB card, if not a 32GB card. The included battery is a champ. It lasts a good long time & charges quickly. I was going to get a 2nd battery, but I don't think it's necessary at this time as it lasts for several hundred shots. The manual says it takes 2 hrs to charge a fully depleted battery, but the math doesn't work out that way. The included charger is portable & charges the included 860mAh Li-Ion battey at a 580mAh rate, so a full charge should be about 1.5hrs. I'll have to time it when I need a full charge & have the spare time to check it every 10 mins or so beyond the 1hr mark.

Only a few negatives:
* When using the fully automatic settings indoors the white balance is just a little off, but this is fairly common w/all brands in the entry-level range. It can easily be corrected in photoshop, or by manually choosing one of the white balance lighting scenarios (incandescent bulb, fluorescent, or sun) depending on your situation. My outdoor shots look great on full auto settings.

* Having not used an SLR type camera in a NUMBER of years (I've never owned a DSLR), I found that the manual it comes with is not very thorough, and neither is the larger PDF manual on the included CD. However; it's not Canon's job to teach you photography and therefore I think the manual is just adequate. The only real trouble I had was trying to figure out how to attach the included eyepiece cover when shooting on a tripod w/studio lighting using auto exposure settings... it's not explained anywhere. You need to slide off the cover that is there already (the eye cushion) and slide on the cover... duh! Cripes O Mighty! They explain how to attach the camera strap (like you really need to read that...), but not the eyepiece cover?! Those experienced with SLR photography don't need any more, those totally new are covered by both the instuctions & the quick-start guide; but, those in-between won't find the info they're looking for here... get this book: Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))

* There is no memory card included. Even a tiny one would be appreciated for the completely new user to start shooting right away when buying the 'kit' version. It may be the 1st D-SLR for the majority of it's purchasers, but it's probably not anyone's 1st digital camera in general.. so you probably have one of these lying around already.

* A textured grip would be nice, but like the exclusion of a memory card, this is helping to keep the price down on this puppy.

In summary:
Is it a good camera for the $$: Yes, 4/5*
Is it a good camera in general: Yes, 4/5 (auto white balance could be better, textured grip would be nice)
Is the 'kit' worthwhile: Yes, 4/5 (including even a tiny SD Card would be nice for the camera newbie)
Good instructions: Barely, 3/5
Would I buy it again: YES(1)
Recommend to a friend: YES(1)
Overall rating: 4/5

* Revised due to recent price drop on T4i, see 4/6/2013 update at the bottom
(1) If you can't afford the T4i

**-- Update - 6/1/2012 --**

Took it to Jones Beach last weekend, for the Memorial Day airshow. After walking around to find some other Canon users, I learned how to use some of the manual settings in order to get shots of the fast-moving airplanes & jets flying around. I didn't need help in so much as how to change the settings on the camera... but more what settings I would need to be using.

Anyway... I got some GREAT shots! The only issue I had was my telephoto lens didn't have IS, so I had a very fast shutter speed manually entered to make up for any hand shaking. The result is that while the jet shots look great, I have stationary propellers on the older aircraft. That's not the fault of the camera, but of my inexpensive EF 75-300mm non-IS lens. Now if only someone can teach me how to use photoshop effectively :)

Here are just a couple of shots from that airshow: [...]

**-- UPDATE 4/6/2013 --**

OK, so I've had this camera for nearly 2 years now, and I'm still very happy with it. However; the T4i has come down quite a bit in price due to the announcement that it's being replaced by the T5i. Excellent timing for those of you looking to purchase a DSLR!! If you can spend a little more, I'd recommend the T4i over the T3 by a wide margin. Otherwise, T3 is still the way to go.

Here's why:

1. It's got the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor (Every other Rebel has DIGIC 4) - This is quite an improvement, especially with white balance.
2. More ISO options - in combo w/the new DIGIC 5, this is a pretty big deal
3. It's faster... can shoot up to 5.0 frames per second, continuously - That's a big deal if you shoot sports/action/aviation.
4. You get 18MP - That's fairly significant.
5. In-camera HDR Combines multiple exposures - You probably will want this feature, even if it doesn't interest you right now.
6. That little 'i' lets you use a wireless remote shutter release - may be significant, depends on what YOU need.
7. Slightly larger LCD (3" vs 2.7") that flips out - significant.
8. Touch screen - Mostly Bells & Whistles here, but reviews state it's very functional & intuitive.

To sum this all up, with the T4i you'd gain: better images/video, high ISO performance, touchscreen, less shutter lag, and a few other things. This camera offers many new technologies and additions from Canon that aren't seen on any other camera in their line up (including much pricier cameras like the 60D). If you're wondering about the upcoming T5i... it's the T4i with a new body sculpt, real-time preview of Creative Filters in Live View mode, and a redesigned new mode dial that turns 360 degrees... that's IT!! Same image quality & Features as the discontinued T4i!! By the way, the T4i (and upcoming T5i) outperform the much pricier 60D in terms of image quality (seriously, it does... 60D is getting long in the tooth now). The 60D's advantage is that it is weather sealed and has controls laid out more like a pro body (it has a rear dial just like the 7D, 5D, 1D bodies.) It was a clear upgrade over anything in the Rebel line until the T4i was introduced.

Regards,
Bill

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2012 10:01:28 PM PST
Jodi says:
Outstanding review! Very helpful! Thanks!!

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:38:00 AM PDT
Justin Link says:
Great review. The only reason it says it might take 2 hours to charge is because chargers tend to trickle charge at around the 80-90% mark to top off the battery. This might be done at half power, which would be why it would take a full two hours. Just thought you might want to know!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 7:44:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2012 7:46:14 AM PDT
W. Stewart says:
Thanks for the kind words guys! I try to address issues that I myself would be looking for in reviews :)

Justin: That would make sense, I was thinking of it from an RC Hobby LiPO battery charging aspect :)

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 1:59:17 PM PDT
I would be happy to give you some PhotoShop help. I'm retired and have lots of time. Write me at lancekoz@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 5:30:09 AM PDT
W. Stewart says:
I appreciate the offer, my problem is the lack of time. I have my own 1-man business running an online hobby shop. Too busy for 1 person really, but not enough to hire anyone... plus I still work out of the house at this point. I hope to have a B&M storefront eventually.

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 5:14:05 AM PDT
BigPhotoShow says:
I need your help please. A lot of people are saying the T3 has a flip out screen. is this true? I assumed that only the T3i and T4i and 60d had the flip out screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2013 5:57:15 AM PDT
W. Stewart says:
T3 does NOT have a flip-out screen.

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 10:02:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2013 10:05:14 PM PST
E Trexler says:
I am hoping you can quickly answer this question for me since I need to order and get back in the mail soon. I bought my grand daughter (she is taking Photography at school) the Rebel 3T for Christmas. I want to include a memory card with the camera but I am totally ignorant of which card to choose after reading many articles and reviews. I have selected two examples to include here: SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46) is on sale right now for for $31.45 (I read that 30MB/s is as good as 45MB/s) but Sony 32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF32UY/TQMN) is selling for 20.99. As you can see there is and $10.50 price difference which I don't mind paying but if the Sony is as good as the SanDisk, why pay more? I suppose my main question to you is what memory card do you use? Thank you so much. (By the way, I did follow your advice and have already received the Rebel T3 for Dummies help book!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2013 3:34:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2013 4:30:56 AM PST
E. Trexler,

I was in IT for 20 years, and have a BS in Computer Systems. There is no difference from card to card simply because of the brand. These companies do not manufacture the cards, but simply have their labels slapped on them. There are just a few companies in China that actually manufacture memory chips... that's it. Some brands may "Assemble" the memory, but they do not "Make" it.

That being said, not all brands are the same... some brands will purchase lower-grade memory chips, and each brand writes their own firmware for the controller chip and flash memory chips. But comparing 2 major brands like this, there should be no significant difference.

There can still be major differences in memory cards, even within the same brand... quality control in China seems to be pretty poor, and these companies cannot check every single card. If you DO get a clunker, simply swap it out & you should be alright. There are A LOT of fake cards appearing on eBay, and even from some reputable dealers who have been fooled. Kingston cards are most often faked, because they have about a third of the flash card market. These fakes can also be programmed to report a false storage capacity.

It doesn't pay to buy cheap cards on eBay or less reputable sources. So the short answer: Save some $$ and buy the Sony.

As an FYI, The EOS Rebel T3 uses popular SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards, but the product specifications make no reference to the new UHS-I specification. I called Canon, and was told that the camera supports the UHS-1 protocol at the 100mhz bus speed and 50MB/s write throughput. In practice, the new UHS-1 100mhz protocol will not deliver a full 50MB/s write throughput due to overhead in the protocol itself. This is why Sony rates their card at 40MB/s write speeds, and Sandisk at 45MB/s write speeds. For the T3, there is no significant difference between 40 & 45 MB/s.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›