Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Time To Scare Up A Deluxe Special Edition DVD!, September 25, 2006
This review is from: Poltergeist (DVD)
Now that DVDs are way down in price, I've ended up with literally thousands--I think. I have a tendency to resist the earlier releases, the ones that are obviously "cheapies" with no special features--I know that better editions are just around the bend for most films! But I recently had to make an exception for "Poltergeist". Now I had originally seen this film in a theater on its release. I have always considered it one of the best in its genre. I've seen it a couple of times since, but probably not at all in the last ten years (and for the record--all the sequels were terrible).

What amazed me was that I still thought it was a terrific movie! Now, some people will think a couple of the effects are cheesy--and for today's standards, maybe they are. But they are so well integrated into the film that I don't think the modern viewer will mind. And I believe films are historical documents--I hate that George Lucas, for example, has corrupted his films with constant CGI updates. It's as sacrilegious as colorization was!

"Poltergeist" succeeds as a great film due, in large part, to it's unrelenting suspense--but, in equal measure, it relies on us to care about the family involved. I think the movie endures because it has heart and characters to actually root for. Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams are great (and believable) as the parents affected. Their love for each other and their family, and their willingness to sacrifice anything for the safety of their kids is well presented and acted. Williams, in particular, has never been better. At first, she is your typical suburban Mom--but as strange things start happening, you see her confusion, her delight, her fear, her horror, her desperation and her heroic side. It's a very nice underrated performance. And Beatrice Strait and Zelda Rubenstein both give richer, more fully realized performances than I remembered.

Who'd have thought--all these years later--that it's the characters of "Poltergeist" that have distinguished it in my mind?

It's time now! We need a Deluxe Version DVD. It's hard to believe 2007 will mark 25 years--that seems a fitting opportunity to honor a film that has stood the test of time. I'll be first in line to upgrade. KGHarris, 9/06.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2006 7:52:00 PM PDT
TV People says:
February 22, 2006
`Poltergeist' SE, `Twilight Zone' DVDs on the way!
Last night, representatives from Warner Home Video participated in an online chat with The Home Theater Forum about upcoming DVDs, and the folks from WB relayed some great news for fans of Steven Spielberg's work from the early 1980s.

First up (and I have to say I'm personally ecstatic about this news), a proper, respectable release of "Poltergeist" will finally see release on DVD for the first time. The title has actually been released to DVD two times since the format's birth, first, on a near-bare bones MGM release (the disc did include the film's domestic trailer), and later on a truly bare bones Warner's release (when the film's home video rights were sold by MGM to Warner Bros.)

A couple of years back, a rep from Warners promised that a special edition release of "Poltergeist" was in the works for the film's 25th anniversary in 2007, and last night fans received further confirmation from the studio that the disc is on its way!

`Poltergeist' is still set for its Silver Birthday (gosh, are we all that old?) next year. Two-disc SE with lots of goodies," Warner Home Video told The Home Theater Forum.

No words on bonus features yet, but I implore the gods of DVD to have had the decency to sit with Steven Spielberg, Tobe Hooper, and producer Frank Marshall (not to mention any available cast and crew) to reflect on one of the most undervalued gems in Spielberg's filmography.

The upside is the set is indeed coming, but keep your fingers crossed we'll get some great bonus content.
- This is from SpielbergFilms.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2007 8:45:43 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 19, 2011 4:16:33 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 28, 2007 8:29:51 AM PDT
I haven't heard anything about this SE yet (it's June, 2007) but let's hope Warner's keeping their word. This movie has a special place in the heart of Gen Xers born between 66 and 75, as it was rated PG. Many of us went to see it in theaters that summer and were thrilled. One of my best summer movie memories ever. (I was 10 in 1982.)

Posted on Apr 12, 2008 5:45:28 AM PDT
Karen Shaub says:
I've always had my doubts as to whether or not Toby Hooper actually directed this film or not. I know, I know, his name is on it. But its pure Spielberg, and he's never worked for him again. I think he was replaced during filming, but given credit anyhow 'cause Spielberg's a nice guy. Hooper never made anything this polished again. (I'm only kidding here.)

One of the things I like about this movie purely from the horror aspect is that it manages to cover just about every childhood fear and comes up with a new one--snow on the tv screen. The tv people! Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 10:58:38 PM PDT
Given the level of controversy where people are saying the big guy is doing your work for you, would you put yourself in that situation again F' no! The money is nice, but the guy's career was on the far side of the good days where one has merely his pride. The cast says Hooper directed the movie. I'm sure Hooper wasn't in completely control in the editing room. In fact, I did hear something about cocaine being an interference. Obviously there are Spielberg fingerprints everywhere. It's just not fair for people like you, and so giddily, to take credit of a classic away from the man responsible. Hooper was no slouch, for pete's sakes. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is as important a film as any made by Spielberg. And I say that as a big fan of Spielberg's.

Posted on May 30, 2011 8:36:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2011 8:36:34 PM PDT
People come on now! You're writing a review on a blu ray talking about a dvd!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2013 7:07:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2013 7:09:24 PM PDT
Leland says:
Chad, Amazon is not separating the formats that are being "reviewed". They are lumping all of them together, but it should be noted that the reviewer does state at the beginning which one he/she is. Look at the Wizard of Oz, for example. lol
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

K. Harris
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: StudioCityGuy33 at Yahoo dot com