Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

1.0 out of 5 stars This Upgrade will ERASE your other office stand alone products!!!, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Family Pack, 3PC (Disc Version) (DVD-ROM)
This Upgrade will ERASE your other office stand alone products!!!

I own:
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
Outlook 2007 (Stand Alone Product Purchased Separately) and
Publisher 2007 (Stand Alone Product Purchased Separately)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Upgrade

When I installed my new Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and selected the Upgrade button, it DELETED my stand alone installations of Outlook 2007 and Publisher 2007! OUTRAGEOUS!

After 40 minutes on the phone with Microsoft technical support, their answer was "Yes, the install will delete all of your other stand alone products". When I asked "Where is that fact documented in the software install guide or in the process of the software installation", they had no answer. In other words, it's not! UN-ACCEPTABLE!!!

Apparently, Microsoft must have the happiest customers on earth, because they have no complaint department to file an official complaint with. (Trust me, I asked and demanded to speak to someone who could direct me to an official complaint department).

When I insisted that I be directed to a manager who could direct me to an official complaint sight, I was HUNG UP ON!!! That is absolutely DISGRACEFUL!!!

What a way to handle your customer when he brings to your attention a HUGE FLAW in your upgrade process!

I'm filing a complaint with the better business bureau and then I'm calling my lawyer.

Oh, by the way. Microsoft's technical support team felt that me, losing all of my Outlook Contacts, Email Accounts, Calendar Entries, Tasks, Notes, et.al was an "inconvenience". They were sorry for the "inconvenience" of me losing years of work!!! Utterly COMTEMPTABLE!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2010 12:36:18 AM PDT
Young@Heart says:
I think a class action might be in order on this mess, I had no idea it would install a trial version of Outlook on my computer and make it the default email ciient, I lost hundreds of emails from my webmail because the trial version automatically downloaded all the mail in my inbox to itself, and waited until the trial was almost over before informing me that it was a trial version

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2010 2:59:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2010 3:02:28 PM PDT
JackS says:
Unclick the 2010 upgrade box first or choose "Custom".

You're right though....Microsoft is a stupid company.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 2:10:31 PM PDT
I tried to add OneNote and it wouldn't work, so I boxed it up to send back. Then today when I got online to work, it said I have a "free trial of Office 2007" and that I can only use Excel, Word and Power Point 6 more times before I 'install it'. I ALREADY OWNED THOSE... I was hung up on when I called as well. I have NO words to describe how TICKED off I am right now! :(

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 5:10:01 PM PDT
Young@Heart says:
This was my very first experience with install a Microsoft product, I have never had a product that installed trial versions without permission before.
The really messed up part is if you accidentally open the Outlook trial after the trial period is over, it will still download your emails from your server.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:25:23 PM PST
I am still using Office 2003 student edition. I was considering the purchase of Office 2010. I see I can install it on 3 computers. I was going to purchase the student Version but finally noticed that it does not include Outlook. A Version that contains Outlook costs about $100.00 more the student version was $124.00
That is a total Ripp OFF to have to PAY $100.00 more to get Outlook. My computer recently got a Trojan Microsoft think Point. My computer guy reformatted so I lost everything in my computer. I had done a full hard drive back up 2 weeks previous, but now I see many important files were not properly backed up to my external hard drive. I do have a Hotmail account and I use the Hotmail down loader which means many of my contacts and e-mails are saved on the Hot Mail server.
After reading the comments here I think I will just install Office 2003 again and save my $200.00 plus dollars.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 5:48:58 PM PST
D. Lee says:
Microsoft's customer service also hang up on me.. more than once on my software issues. I am not sure if it is their policy, their call center (in India?), or what... they have level 1support (unless you pay for more) and then the next level is pass you back to the telephone company (hang up).

Unfortunately, they do have good products and therefore a monopoly in several fronts. They are now so powerful even the governments cannot suit them successfully. Their arrogance is very apparent and I really hope that the open source stuff acceleratee and let's all dump Micrsosoft products - and never hire any of their employees in our business!

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 6:57:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 11, 2011 7:02:00 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 7:02:23 PM PST
Give them hell !!!!

I just upgraded my desktop PC (XP to Windows 7) and in the process rendered all of my email from the past 9 years useless unless I purchase this MS Office 2010.

I decided that the upgrade is not worth $109, so I will have to move my files onto my laptop that still runs XP and give Microsoft the freeway salute.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 10:03:06 AM PST
Do you and your lawyer have a court date yet?

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 3:32:33 PM PST
P_J_P says:
Well - I hope you had your entire system backed up before installing it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›