5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect, January 14, 2010
This review is from: Pino Digital Kettle Pro - 50 oz. (1.5 L)
First of all, I find it hard to believe, in this day and age, that this is the only option for an electric kettle that tells you the current temperature of the water, and allows you to dial in the exact temperature you want (at least when I did the research, at the time I didn't see any others). When I first researched digital kettles, I wanted the exact features of this kettle, I expected to find tens of this type of item and then narrow it down. Instead, I found a few kettles that let you select a couple canned temperatures, and wouldn't display the current temp. So, for this, the PINO stands out as having the features I wanted.

I'll start with what I like about the kettle:

-It will quickly and easily heat water to the exact temperature you dial in.
-It is decently well constructed, and it's easy to use.
-It boils water pretty fast, and the displayed temperature seems to be very accurate.
-It has a capacity larger than anything I've needed yet.
-I like that it can be removed from the base to carry the hot water with you to the table or anywhere else, without unplugging it and bringing the cord too.
-When you remove the kettle with hot water in it from the base, the metal sides are hot (of course), but the bottom black base is cool, so you can set it on the counter or whatever without burning it.
-It's all stainless steel inside - no plastic parts.
-Looks pretty nice on the counter.

Some cons:

-This one is my fault, because I didn't real the manual, but the way you are supposed to get the water to your desired temperature, is to, while the base is OFF, set the temperature with the arrows, and then press the on button. It will then heat to your desired temp, and when it gets close, it will slow down and hold your set temperature. The problem is that if you change your mind about the temperature while the kettle is ON, and you change the dialed in temperature, it will heat to boiling before letting it cool to your temperature. The same is true if you just turn the kettle on, and dial in the temp you want and let it go - it will heat to boiling first. This makes the process of getting water to your desired temperature take a lot longer because you have to wait for the water to cool from boiling, and the kettle is pretty well insulated so the further it needs to drop the longer it takes. Unfortunately, this was the intuitive way for me to operate it, and I didn't read the manual, so I was frustrated for a while that it would always heat to boiling and I would have to try to stop it early by constantly monitoring it. So the key here is to always set the temp while the base is off, and then turn it on, unless you want to boil the water. The "con" would be that it's not necessarily intuitive, but as long as you know how to operate it, you're good to go. I just put this here in case anyone is having a similar "problem" with theirs. To reiterate and try to be clear here: if you set the temperature with the base OFF, THEN turn it on, the kettle will heat the water to the dialed in temp and then slow down and hold that temp - it will NOT boil the water first.
-As you may expect, the displayed water temperature does "lag" behind the actual water temperature by a couple degrees, not a big deal, it's only a few seconds and couple degrees behind while heating, and if you let it sit for just a few seconds, it will settle into reading the actual temperature.
-The little water depth gauge that hangs in the middle of the kettle to tell you how much water is in it is very flimsy and can be bent very easy, so it's not very accurate, and on top of that, it falls out easily without even touching it. The first time you think "no big deal I'll push it back in," but eventually you'll just remove it entirely.
-The opening at the top is pretty narrow meaning that you'll probably splash some water down the sides if you are trying to transfer from a mug or glass, which isn't all that big of a deal, but more importantly, because of this small opening, it is hard/impossible to clean inside of the kettle, should it ever need it (I haven't cleaned it yet because I've only boiled water). I don't know if it will ever need to be cleaned, so this may be a non-issue (other than being difficult to transfer water from a mug or cup without spilling/splashing).

Overall this kettle is great, and I'm really glad I bought it. For people who want to heat water to a specific temperature, this kettle is perfect. Another great thing is that it really isn't that expensive when you compare it to other digital kettles that don't even have as many features (such as dial in any temp and actual temp readout). I think the only feature I would add (or thing I would change) with this kettle, is a different style water gauge.. just something to tell how much water is in it (since the one that comes with it is ridiculously cheap and seems to break for everyone within the first couple uses).

[Add comment]