1.0 out of 5 stars My first ever 1star review..., October 24, 2012
This review is from: Crucial m4 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD3 (Personal Computers)
How do you rate a product that works great from a company that doesn't seem to care?

Do not upgrade your Crucial m4 drive (2.5" or mSATA) to firmware 010G / 01MG. There is a known issue with the drives not being recognized after a reboot.

There is a path to revert from 010G to 000F for the 2.5" drive, but not for 01MG to 000F on the mSATA drive.

Here's hoping that Crucial does something to address this soon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 12:46:02 PM PDT
TMV says:
Hi:
I was just wondering if you have actually had a problem with your Crucial mSATA drive not being recognized after a reboot.

I have both Crucial M4 and mSATA drives. I did have a problem with one of the M4 SSDs not being recognized, but was able to fix it using the power-cycle technique described by Crucial, followed by initializing the SSD by inserting it into and taking it out of a StarTech dual port docking station. I did not lose any data. However, there is no docking station I am aware of that has an interface or adapter for an mSATA drive. If the mSATA drive were to "lock up" like the M4 SSD drives, then I'd be forced to send it back to Crucial to repair or replace. I would also lose all the data on the drive. Therefore, it would be, I believe, beneficial to all users of the Crucial mSATA drives to know if there is a similar issue with their drives.
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:18:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 3:21:03 PM PDT
Stephen Furr says:
Yes, I had both the 256GB mSATA version and the 512GB 2.5" 7mm version in a laptop. I had the mSATA as the boot drive and the 2.5" as a secondary data drive. The day after flashing 010G/01MG the machine turned off (I wasn't at it at the time, so I don't know why.) Upon powering back up the mSATA wasn't recognized but the 2.5" was. Well, there wasn't a bootable OS on it. I went to my backups and reloaded the 2.5" with a bootable OS. The next day the mSATA came back! I had switched the boot order so it was now the secondary device. I had a quandary now: go back to booting from the mSATA or not? Next day the 2.5" went out to lunch and wouldn't mount. Finally in desperation I checked the Crucial forums and found others with the same problem. I was able to get code to revert the 2.5" to 000F and it has been fine ever since. I couldn't revert the mSATA no matter what I tried (000F and 0309.) I finally was able to get to the data on it and wipe it. I then opened a ticket with Crucial and sent it off for RMA. It was received by them today, hopefully I'll have a replacement soon. I think it's sad that this level firmware has been out for over a month, and it still listed on Crucial's site. Heck, I have an email from Crucial (based on me registering the drives after buying them) that RECOMMENDS updating the firmware!

TL;DR: yes, the mSATA has the same issues with the new firmware.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:29:04 PM PST
Tim Welch says:
I had an issue with one of my M4 desktop drives not being recognized after a reboot. Crucial recommends turning on the computer, and letting it idle at the BIOS for about half an hour.

I'm not sure what exactly it's doing, but the drive does something to configure itself. Then after rebooting again, it was recognized and all was well. I'm not saying it will definitely solve your problem, but it's worth a shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:22:10 AM PST
Stephen Furr says:
Yes, that does solve the problem... until the next time it fails to mount. Since their instructions are to disconnect the data cable and let the drive power up for 30 minutes, then power down and up for another 30 minutes this means you may need hour(s) to get back to your data. If this is your boot device that means you're stuck for a while. Hardly an acceptable solution.

Another ding against Crucial: I returned my mSATA drive to them for replacement. Guess what? The new drive came with 01MG on it; the label even says "FW: 01MG." They have had this version out for well over a month, and are actually shipping new drives with it, but the problem remains.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:08:46 AM PST
Stephen Furr says:
To their credit, they have offered to replace my newly-replaced drive with another replacement, this time manually checking that they send a mSATA drive with FW 000F. That was a week ago, and honestly how do you find time to backup everything to another drive to do the ship/receive exchange again? Well, now I have more of an incentive: my suspended laptop with FW 01MG somehow resumed in the bag, promptly blue-screened, failed to write a dump file, and magically restarted 8 hours later (still in the bag.) All this confirmed from before/after event log entries.

Now I read that there's a 020H (and perhaps an "02MH?") in the works...

Again to my original review, first sentence: great product (when it was running 000F), company that doesn't seem to admit to a systemic problem. There are great, personable, and yes, genuinely caring people working there. I'm guessing they are also saddled with a corporate structure that inhibits anyone from hitting the "stop" switch when something goes awry.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:09:30 AM PST
My drive ran for just 2 days before lockup. I could boot using frimware upgrade tool from Crucial, upgrade the firmware- meaning the drive is up and alive, but not to unlock the drive. Whatever Crucial did to lock the drive up, it's still in the most up-to-date firmware, or maybe inherent to drive's function. I have been told things, like "garbage collecting"- I really needed that picture, and self-reset, provided enough time. My original ssd never locked. My new one only locked once and for good. Had to reinsert the old ssd to revive the slate.
Blue jeans and light bear. There's nothing that we have, they could possibly want. I guess I learned nothing watching Avatar

Posted on May 16, 2013 12:07:06 PM PDT
My drive failed before any firmware upgrade.

Let me tell you, it's difficult to apply new firmware to a drive that refuses to appear in the BIOS!

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 5:16:45 PM PST
Robert York says:
I completely agree with Stephen. I have a Crucial 480 Gb mSata with the SAME problem. I was finally able to get the system to see it (using command line DISKPART commands) and as soon as I cloned the original... same thing. The system could not recognize it. I spent hours trying to fix something that is unfixable. You get what you pay for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›