Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical excellence once again, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Privateering [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Being a long time Mark Knopfler fan going back to 1979 when `Sultans of Swing' first hit the airwaves, I was very happy to receive this double album opus. In my opinion Knopfler reached a peak with his last album `Get Lucky' and I wasn't sure this album could hold up to that one. While it may not surpass his last album it certainly reaches the same level of excellence in artistry, creativity and pure musical genius. It is a joy to listen to his music especially when you compare it to the garbage on the radio these days. Most of which makes me gag. It is so sad that many people the world over will never experience music such as this because it just has not been made available to them.

Knopfler's music and lyrics are very complex and demands multiple listenings before you can digest it all. I just love the fusion of celtic, country & rock. The lyrics tell you a story or describe an experience and make you think. Some of his songs are from another time and place. But not so remote that you can't relate to them on a human level. His use of the guitar is very original as he allows the instrument to `talk' or evoke emotion - from happiness & joy to sadness & grief. Some songs actually might motivate you to kick up your feet and dance. He uses this instrument unlike any other guitarist - past or present. I can't praise this man enough. He seems to be getting better with age. Every time a new release comes around I don't hesitate to buy it with no regrets ever. I feel he has really hit his stride since `Kill to Get Crimson', `Get Lucky' and now `Privateering". I also loved the album `All the Road Running' with Emmylou Harris. It contains some outstanding songs. "I Dug Up A Diamond' will bring tears to your eyes. I only hope there will be many more albums from Mark Knopfler in the future!!! They are all masterpieces.

I do have one deep regret & that is that my mother is not here to enjoy his best albums. She discovered Knopfler when she was in her 70's and developed an awe for the man that I had not seen her have for any other musical artist. And she admired many. She read whatever books she could find on him or Dire Straits, watched & listened to his concert tapes & albums and even attended his concert in 2005. If that isn't a testament to the greatness of this artist I don't know what is. She was from another generation & did not have any musical training or education but she knew what she heard was great music of quality and substance. That's why listening to his newer albums is bittersweet for me as she passed away in 2008.

I will end by saying if you appreciate fine music this album will not disappoint you. There are some really beautiful songs ( Redbud Tree; Go Love; Kingdom of Gold) with clever lyrics (Corned Beef City) that will enlighten you along with catchy & innovative guitar riffs throughout. Of all the 20 songs there isn't one you could call weak or filler. The title song "Privateering" is just amazing. For me the absolute stand out track on this album is "Yon Two Crows" which has very celtic overtones. I listen to this over and over and over and it just blows my mind. The melody created by the fiddle is simply beautiful and amazing. Great stuff!

Keep in mind that this man has been making great music for almost 35 years and is very underrated IMHO. That's because he doesn't use gimmicks or court the spotlight but is a brilliant musician and gifted songwriter. Hopefully one day he will gain the recognition he truly deserves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2012 7:30:20 PM PDT
rpther98 says:
Sandy--very nicely written review for a really fine album--remember, for all you/we know, your Mom is sittin' back & listening to Mark right now...peace.....rich

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 4:32:25 AM PDT
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your comforting thought. And yes I sometimes hope in whatever realm my Mum is in she can hear such wonderful music! I hope you enjoy the album as much as I do.

Sandy

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:35:07 AM PDT
J. Skinner says:
Hi Sandy,
Being only a few years younger than your mom, and a MK fan from Dire Straits days it is great to hear that this new release is what I had hoped for. Frankly, I was a little disapointed with "Get Lucky" and feared Mark had reached the "same song, another verse" point a lot of even great writers hit. Now really excited to hear the new tunes!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:21:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 9:22:17 AM PDT
Hi Mr. Skinner,

I see we differ on 'Get Lucky'. Perhaps it was more commercial than his other solo efforts and that's why it didn't appeal to you. I think "Privateering" might be more up your alley.
It's nice to hear from long time fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:37:18 AM PDT
J. Skinner says:
Could be. Brothers in Arms still one of my favorites

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:44:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 11:45:27 AM PDT
Sandy says:
Yes, the song and the album are great. I think it sold 30,000,000 worldwide.
The only album I never warmed up to was Making Movies??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 9:24:40 PM PDT
pork turtle says:
I really like Making Movies, but I don't understand why it seems to me that everyone thinks that is a masterpiece. Romeo and Juliet is utterly beautiful. Tunnel of Love is a great tune. Les Boys? C'mon, now.
Give me the first DS album and even the highly underrated Communique anyday over Making Movies.
Anyway, good to see great reviews for Privateering. I just can't wait until it's finally available here!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 4:33:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 4:35:58 AM PDT
Hi Pork Turtle,

I guess I need to go back and really listen to MM. I dug up the first two Dire Straits albums this weekend and I have to agree they were probably the most creative and innovative of all the DS albums. And what about 'Love Over Gold'? The guitar solos in 'Telegraph Road' and 'It Never Rains' still blow my mind every time I listen to them. The man is a genius!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 1:49:12 PM PDT
pork turtle says:
Love Over Gold is a good 'un too. I remember when a friend of mine introduced me to "Telegraph Road" years ago. Really blew my mind and really sold me on DS. Any thoughts on David Knopfler? I hear he has some good stuff too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 4:37:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 4:39:56 AM PDT
Sandy says:
You know I always think of David and I feel so bad that he left the band. I often wonder if he and Mark ever reconciled. Last I heard they still don't talk- after all these years. Can you imagine them getting together and working on an album? I actually have a few of David's albums and they are quite good. His voice has a similar quality to Mark's but is better in my opinion. His lyrics are also thought provoking. His music may not be as exciting as Mark's but still lovely to listen to. One of his song's is about Karla Faye Tucker who was the first woman excuted in Texas since 1984. Thanks for reminding me- I am going to have to dig up two of David's albums - "Small Mercies" and "Wishbones" and give them a good listen!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›