5.0 out of 5 stars A rebranded Air Superdrive, but efficient nonetheless Update: Not quite complete rebrand, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Apple MD564ZM/A USB 2.0 SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
This "Apple USB Superdrive" is basically the exact same thing as "Apple Macbook Air USB Superdrive", except with the new Macbook pro's shipping out without an internal disc drive, they just decided to drop the "Air" from the Superdrive.

What is wonderful about this drive is that it only requires one USB Port. Often you'll find external drives requiring 2 USB ports, one for Power, and one for data. On a laptop with as few USB Ports as Apple ships with, this is borderline unacceptable. As a computer Engineer, I need at least 1 port free for various interfaces, so an external drive that requires both my usb ports just wont work.

Design: While I have my gripes about Apple, build quality is not one of them. This thing is sturdy, thin, and requires a minimal amount of desk space. I actually fashioned a "bookstand" like enclosure which makes it vertical, which means it takes up even less desk real estate.

Speed: I didn't notice any major difference in speed between a medium quality laptop internal disc drive and this one.

The one thing I wish it had: Blu-ray support. I can dream can't I? That said, discs are on their way out. Which is why I'm okay with the superdrive being seperate from my laptop. I only use it when I'm at my desk anyways.

All Said and done: If you already have the superdrive for the air, don't get this one, its not any different, at least not enough to notice. If your computer does not have a disc drive like the air and retina pro, this is the drive to get, if you plan on using it for anything besides emergency purposes. If you plan on using an external drive 1-2 times a year, there are cheaper options out there. That said, this one is a great blend of build quality, ease of use, and not using a ton of my valuable ports.

Update: I had a chance to look at an air superdrive again, the USB Cord does appear to be a couple inches longer on the new superdrive. This is actually a much appreciated addition, I had forgotten how short the old USB cord was. I wouldn't have had room to plug it in from the back of the desk with the old cord length, I do now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 5:45:25 AM PDT
Will the Apple USB Superdrive transfer windows office 2011 (Mac version) to my MacBook Pro with retina display?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:19:05 AM PDT
One would assume, if your software is on a CD/DVD.... that's the whole point of this drive.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:09:22 PM PDT
aztec506 says:
Anyone know if this will work with Win7 machines? Specifically a Lenovo w520 and a Lenovo u300s. Thanks........

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:47:59 AM PDT
DJMoody says:
I do not believe Apple has currently released windows 7 drivers outside of bootcamp... there might be a way to take those drivers out of bootcamp but this isn't officially supported.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 9:59:11 AM PDT
NoSpam says:
Do you know if the USB is 2.0 or 3.0?
Thanks.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 10:42:03 AM PDT
WarrenB says:
Thanks for the comment about needing 2 USB drives. There is not place on my MBP to insert 2 usb connectors on one side. It has always ticked me off that Apple puts so few USB ports on the MBPs. It is not inexpensive hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 9:39:28 PM PST
2.0

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:31:30 PM PST
My current iMac has a built-in optical drive. Do you think there would be less wear and tear and extended reliability using this drive? I ask this because my old G4 laptop gave me numerous problems with the drive because I import quite a number of CD's. Thanks. Great Review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2013 2:05:27 PM PDT
Ciara says:
By all means, get this or any of a number of good external optical drives out there at half the price, to spare the hardware of your iMac. The sooner the better. As a DJ, I learned this early on. And after all this time, my MBP is still running strong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 10:16:13 AM PDT