2.0 out of 5 stars The show is amazing... this set is not., October 18, 2009
This review is from: Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
EDIT: This review is for the DVD version of this set only, NOT the Bluray version. I've heard that the Bluray version is much better.

Before I begin I would like to point out that this review and star rating is for this set and its packaging ONLY. The show itself is great and would get a 7 out of 5 stars from me, but before your mouth starts watering over the "Collector's Edition", hear me out.

Pros: The outside package and photos used are nice and add something you wouldn't get by buying the seasons individually. The episodes "Vegas" and "Enemy at the Gate" come in both the extended versions and broadcast versions. There is a bonus disc that has two featurettes that come only with this Complete Series set.

Cons: Where do I begin? I was appalled to find some of the discs were scratched and has smudges on them (most notably the season one discs and the bonus disc). One disc had errors, even though there were no apparent scratches on it. The 26 disc are divided up into seasons, and those individual seasons are housed in thick glossy paper with slits in it for the discs. The discs are supposed to be held in by rubber knobs... it was very hard to get the discs onto these knobs, and when you pulled a disc off of one, sometimes little pieces of the knob would come off with it and the knob would often smudge the disc. The Season One folder would ALWAYS catch on a tab just inside the packaging when you pull out the "drawer" to get a disc (a way around this is to lay down the season one folder on it's side; the rest can stay upright).

Although this isn't really a pro or con, I was a little disappointed that they reused the discs put into the individual season sets. The discs still mention the volume numbers, which don't apply in the complete set; this is confusing to some. I thought they (the people who designed this) would take more pride in their product than they apparently did.

So, to summarize, Stargate Atlantis is a great show that everyone should see and consider investing into all five seasons... but you'll need to be a very patient and sympathetic person to be satisfied with this set.

P.S. - This isn't an isolated incident... I put in an order for an exchange and the new set had almost identical problems. (It should be noted that, as of yet, Amazon has been good to work with.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2010 8:11:31 PM PDT
dgatwood says:
Anybody else starting to wonder if these are assembled from rejected single-season-set discs that failed QA? It would certainly explain the staggering damaged disc rate....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 4:51:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 4:52:14 AM PDT
Carl Sagan says:
The Bluray set is coming. Preorder it here instead of the flawed DVD box set:
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:46:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 8:25:13 AM PDT
Peter Tsang says:
I have the blu-ray complete set. The audio and video are excellent. I have watched most of the episodes, (I did fast forward at various high speeds through the rest), and again, the sound and picture are great.

The packaging comes in three sturdy blue plastic holders, with the 1st containing Seasons 1 & 2, the 2nd containing Seasons 3 & 4, and the last containing Season 5. The discs stay in place and all the discs that I watched are in great physical condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 2:26:29 PM PDT
Sounds like they paid attention to all the negative feedback on this set and used a much better system for the Blu-ray release. Thanks for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:43:03 PM PDT
S. Kovner says:
Given my SG-1 series had scratches in directions that couldn't be due to the packaging, I think you are right. I think some might be returns, too.
Fortunately, Amazon lets you replace a defective set. I got one functional set out of two SG-1 sets

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:39:11 PM PDT
E. Murray says:
I was going to fork out $104 for this collection, the first one with Richard Dean Anderson and also the one by itself, Continium. I even put in the order but didn't read the reviews closely enough. Lucky I did and lucky I was able to cancel quickly before shipping (I have Prime which means they go out soon). Thanks to the reviews I saved $100 and a lot of grief and disappointment. Thanks everyone, for your time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 10:52:02 AM PST
I'm so glad for your review. I'm sure this will save me a lot of headaches.

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 8:22:29 PM PDT
Yea MGM due to financial woes obviously went on the cheap on many of their box sets. The sg1 set I bought had numerous bad disks luckily I ran through them all since I got them at a huge discount and all disks played so i stuck it out I wish mgm would release a bluray of sg1 already,
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (472 customer reviews)

$199.98 $63.31