5.0 out of 5 stars Great telephone system integrator., June 2, 2011
This review is from: Panasonic KX-TG7623B DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone, Black, 3 Handsets (Office Product)
I'm using this system with an OBI 110 Voip system, a Motorola Droid and a Motorola V9m, and have been very impressed with how well it's pulled together these components into one extremely usable system.

First thing that struck me is how well the bluetooth profile works. Normally when using a bluetooth device it is either on or off. For example, if you leave your bluetooth headset on in your car, and then try to handle a call on the phone itself, you will quickly find yourself talking to (and listening to) nobody. With this system, your phone works fine by itself even when connected to the unit. This was the thing that i was most worried about, and it turns out it functions perfectly. I'm pretty aware of bluetooth profiles, and really didn't know that one existed that could be implemented as cleanly as this is.

The range on the phones is great. Battery life seems great, and also uses standard batteries that are easily replaceable for a couple years from now when it's not so great anymore. The size of the phones are substantial, and comfortable to hold. Unlike other reviewers, I have found the speakerphone volume to be more than adequate. I can't complain about the price, especially not as i picked it up as a gold box purchase.

The base unit came with a wall mount for your typical kitchen wall outlet, which I was not expecting, but very happy to get, as it was my preferred location for the base. I thought it would look bad, but it actually looks really clean hanging up on the wall.

I had no trouble importing contacts from both the dumb and smartphones. In both cases, additional action was required on the phones themselves to allow the transfer. I'm not sure I'm happy with all the information that was stripped out of the numbers (home/business/cell1/cell2) but I'm aware that there is, in general, a lower tolerance for complexity on a home phone, and feel they might just as well have made the right decision. I will have to go through and prune the address book on the system, as i didn't keep the tidiest ship on my cell phones.

One thing I thought was great, was that I was able to use one handset to call a person using my cell phone while using another to call another using my landline(voip). I don't read manuals (I find life more full of surprises that way), so i don't know for sure this would work, but I would presume you could probably call another person using the other cell phone. Unlikely this would be useful that often, but its nice to know that it can be done, and also sets up 3 as the magic number for handsets for a unit with features like this.

As stated, I didn't read the manual, and was able to set this up in just a few minutes in one of the more complex of its potential arrangements. Kudos to you, Panasonic.

If I have any complaints, they're pretty nit-picky: I wish the "Answering Device" option could be completely removed from the phone's menus, since i'm never going to use it. I wish the V.M. access was a little more front and center, rather than being a couple clicks down. It would seem a little disingenuous to pick on it not having a battery backup on the base unit since i know they included it in the successor, but there is that. Another reviewer pointed out that the address book is a little laggy, and I'd have to agree. It takes a little under 1/2 second to pull up a new record from the base station (I'm assuming the address book isn't kept locally on the handsets). I havent found it to be a dealbreaker, but it certainly makes me want to keep my address book as small as possible. Caching an address book copy on the handsets would have been a good idea.

All in all, I'm very happy. It made me pack up my old DECT system with no regrets. I might have even have burnt it in some celebratory fashion were the action not so universally frowned upon. Also, with the World Health Organazation now deeming cell phones to be carcinogenic, I'm delighted to keep those brain tumor incubators far, far away from the noggins that belong to me and mine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2011 4:04:27 AM PDT
Richard says:
I'm seriously considering buying the KX-TG7623B and dropping my landline, but want to understand how voicemail works. Since this will be a dedicated cell line, I don't want to have to check the cell phone itself for VM. As a cell only installation (i.e., no landline), there are two possibilities for how VM could work. First, have the answerer handle VM, either by turning off VM on the cell service, or by setting the answerer to pick up before the cellular VM service does. Does this work?

Second, the cell service can handle the VM and the cell phone can signal this via bluetooth to the KX-TG7623B. The KX-TG7623B would then have to recognize the signal and do something reasonable (what?). Seems like a long shot, but does this work?

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 2:56:30 PM PST
Crocuta says:
The system will only work with one cell phone at a time, so while you can have two paired and use either one, it won't allow you to actually talk through both cell phones simultaneously. It's quite nice that it can use the land line and one cell phone at once, though. I would never have thought to check that out if you hadn't mentioned it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 2:41:55 PM PDT
Richard, did you ever get an answer to this? I'm wondering the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:07:12 PM PDT
D. Petzinger says:
The better of the two ideas would be to just program in your own telephone number as the voicemail number and dial that. You could even put in a couple pauses and then the password so you didn't even have to click anything. I use Google Voice, so i never get the "messages" indicator on the phones. Since all recorded voicemails end up in my email inbox as recordings, I'm totally ok with that.

If you wanted to completely avoid using your carrier's voicemail, you'd probably best have them disable it, as you would inevitably end up receiving a voicemail while on the line, or during a reboot, or because of low cell signal or network glitches.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:26:01 PM PDT

Here's my scenario. I'm going to be ditching the land line, adding a third line to my cel phone plan, and using this to add the cordless phones to that third line, which will effectively become the "home phone". However, I want to use the voicemail built into the cordless phone system here, and NOT the voicemail on the cel phone.

I read the manual for this model, and it says if you turn on the "cel only" mode, that it disables voice mail. I checked with my carrier, and I can set up a new line on my cel phone plan with voicemail totally disabled. If I do that, and do NOT enable the "cel only" mode on the base unit here, will it still answer the phone and take messages? I'd rather prefer to do it that way due to technically not "with it" people in the house. Tkx.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:51:45 PM PDT
Joseph,

I emailed Panasonic customer service and got a fairly prompt response. When using cell-only mode the VM feature on the phone is completely disabled. Therefore, if you want VM you'll need VM service from your provider. This means that you have to look at your cell phone to check for VM, or dial your VM number. For us, the cell phone is on the main floor of our house and near the base station, so it's not an inconvenience to check it (note: check your cell signal at the place you want to place your cell phone). I have the same issue with non-technically inclined people, but it turns out not to have been a big issue. They just have to know where to look (at the cell phone) and what to dial (the VM number).

Overall experience: I'm using a dedicated Motorola RAZR V3 as the cell phone, and the blue tooth connection is rock solid. We purchased it in Sept. '11 and I don't think it's dropped once. There is a noticeable lag of about 2 seconds between the time you answer the cordless handset and when the connection occurs. You can tell when the connection is made because there is a barely audible background noise change. Takes some getting used to, but definitely worth the $30/mo. or so savings.

I also programmed the VM number into the address book so it is always first and, thus, easy to find (hint: space comes before letters in their lexicographic order, so " VM" is always first).

I tried programming our VM number into the phone as D. Petzinger suggested. It didn't work, I believe because the VM feature is totally disabled in cell-only mode. Also, I tried the trick of adding pauses after the VM number in the address book entry, followed by the PIN. That didn't work either, I suspect because of the way bluetooth works. D. Petzinger, if you've done this and it worked in cell-only mode I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Happy to answer any other questions.

--Richard

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:53:12 PM PDT
But what if I **DO NOT** enable "cel only" mode, even though that is the way I'm using it. Will it answer like a regular landline?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:58:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 3:59:24 PM PDT
Richard says:
That's an interesting question -- haven't tried it. I believe VM will still only work on the landline, so wouldn't answer on the cell side. However, it might let you program the VM phone number (and perhaps pauses and the PIN) in as the VM number. However, it might not make the call correctly, as the VM number might be "dedicated" to the landline. But I'm speculating. If you try it I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

There are also some other side-effects of turning cell-only on or off. Don't recall them all, and they're a bit scattered around the manual, IIRC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:02:33 PM PDT
I just spent some time on the live chat support with Panasonic, and they say that what I'm looking to do won't work. Even if I left "cel only" mode off, it won't work according to them, that no matter what the setting, that the answering machine only works with a land line.

It does seem odd though to have all the answering machine stuff in this unit, and then have it not work given it's primary reason for existing is the cel connection stuff.

I wonder if cel to cordless things like this from other manufacturers behave any differently? I wanted to go Panasonic first, as we have an existing system we've been using for five years, and are happy with it. But if someone else does this the way I want, perhaps I should try looking elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:45:19 PM PDT
Richard says:
I had the same reaction. All the VM machinery is there, so why not use it for cell-only? I'm guessing when Panasonic did the cost/benefit tradeoff it didn't make the cut. Maybe short-sighted, maybe it's non-trivial, don't really know.

I also had Panasonic cordless phones before this one, and so was pretty confident from my past experience that they could get this right (I think they 95% did, based on how I use it). I might have seen one other cordless phone with bluetooth when I was looking, but can't recall. There sure weren't as many as I thought there would be, given how attractive it seemed to be. Good luck in your search.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›