5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but uses too much ink. Use this trick to save $$, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Canon PGI-220 Combo Pack - Triple Pack (Black) (Office Product)
I didn't want to take any chances buying another brand (or refilled non-brand). These ink cartridges are expensive, though, and just a few changes in your print settings can double the lifespan.

When on regular print settings, I noticed the paper was saturated in ink & the cartridge used up in no time. So, I changed the printing preferences to "grayscale" and "fast printing". This uses about half the ink and looks just fine to me. In fact, I prefer it because the printed copy comes out dry instead of wet with ink (that then needs to dry and could actually smudge).

Printing in grayscale also saves the other colored inks -- especially when printing coupons or anything else that doesn't require high-quality printing. To further save on ink & avoid printing unnecessary stuff (like logos and advertising on various websites), you can change your print options to "print only the selected frame".

Lastly, when the printer tells you the ink cartridge is empty and needs to be replaced -- just press the "ok" button on the printer and keep doing so it until your ink truly does run out. I was able to print out an additional 25 pages last time.

Happy printing :-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2011 5:51:26 AM PST
Helpful review, thank you! Being not too tech savvy, though, I wonder if you could tell me *where* you changed those settings? In the print dialog box that pops up where you print? Or somewhere in the device settings. Thanks so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 7:46:06 AM PST
Lone Shopper says:
Hello. Yes, in the pop-up dialog box. Click on the "Preferences" button, then on the "Quick Set-up" tab. Under "Additional Features" click on the "Grayscale Printing" box as well as the "Fast (Speedy Priority)" box. At the very bottom, I click on "Always Print with Current Settings" box so I don't have to go through this process everytime.

When you want to print something in color or richer quality, you can just unclick those buttons -- and as long as you don't save those settings -- it will always revert back to the ink saving mode (as I call it).

I've been working on a project and printing out tons of documents -- and still can't believe how long the ink is lasting me. And like I said, even when it gives you the warning that you are out of ink, just press the "OK" button on the printer to override it because you'll get quite a bit more life out of it than you'd expect.

Hope this is helpful :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 3:45:40 AM PST
VERY helpful, thank you!

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 2:04:16 PM PST
JGF says:
Thanks for a helpful review. I already use the gray-scale setting for printing in B&W to save ink (had to call Canon to find how to print only in B&W - who knew it was called 'gray scale'?), but per your advice, tried the fast setting and it worked fine. I have a Canon MP990 and can't find the "print only selected frame" setting, which would be great as I often don't want the logos - like in printing an email. Can anyone tell me where to find it on my printer - I know they are all slightly different :-)

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 3:25:29 PM PDT
G_McJim says:
Yup, these settings work just fine with Canon PIXMA MSX870 for doing all black & white text / document printing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 6:25:24 PM PDT
Capt. Phil says:
This was a helpful post and appreciated. I found the same ink saving help using my HP 7100
series printer. I use the "print in grey-scale" as well as a second choice "use only black catridge" and it prints perfectly for letters or any pages where I don't need color. Many of the complaints
from Canon and HP Printer users are simply a case of not looking carefully into the optioins
available in the printer software. Reading the manual, even when it is only available in the
software (annoying, I agree, not to have a printed manual) is well worth the time.

Philip

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 7:59:31 AM PST
Hi Lone Shopper,

Great post. Can I ask you something on it?
The dialogue box of which you speak, is that on the computer when you hit print or is there some way that you know to set it on the actual printer itself?
Thanks much

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 5:12:15 PM PST
Lone Shopper says:
Hi there!

Yes, the box that appears when you click print on the computer. There are quite a few options/tabs that appear when you then click on "preferences". I probably wouldn't have figured it out if I wasn't so desperate to stop this printer from eating up all of my ink :)

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 1:14:59 PM PST
terrific. thanks so much for this information and best of luck to you.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 3:26:46 PM PST
Jackie says:
I really appreciate your comments on how to make changes in print settings to save ink. I didn't have any trouble doing the "grayscale & fast" but can't find the "print only select frame." I have a Canon Pixma IP 4700 printer. Do you know if that setting is available and if so where I would find it. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›