3.0 out of 5 stars Qualified recommendation: best there is..., July 4, 2006
This review is from: Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless SlimTouch Mini Keyboard with Touchpad (WKB-4000US) (Personal Computers)
I think this is probably the best product amongst wireless keyboards you might use with a living room PC, though the only other I've tried is the Microsoft Remote Keyboard for Media Center. The problem with that keyboard is its awful pointing stick; though it does get more flexible with use, it's not nearly as good as the pointer sticks you find on IBM Thinkpads.

This keyboard has good key feel, a built in pointing device, and is a nice size (about 8.5x11) for the couch. Unfortunately, it sometimes, and often enough to be annoying but not enough to be unusable, stops responding. Missing a keystoke or two, or not responding to your touch on the pad. A second later it will start acting normal.

I have this behavior even with 100% fresh batteries, and I'm not mistaking it for the auto-sleep function. I mean, you'll be typing, and it will stop responding for a few seconds.

Perhaps this is a wireless issue; it does use the crowded 2.4ghz band and I live in an apartment and run a wireless network. Then again, I figure that's true of many people who would buy this product...so it'd be nice if they could design around those impediments.

I suppose it's also possible I have a defective keyboard, but enough people have commented on this as a problem that I suspect it's just the design.

So. Works pretty well, but I'll have my eye out for any new products in this vein...

***UPDATE***

I contacted Adesso about my problems and they suggested that I return the keyboard under warranty. Doing so was fairly painless, it took a week out and a week back (UPS ground, I pay to get it to them). But: new keyboard still has the problem of intermittent response. It seems to me that having it on my lap or on a flat surface like my ottoman blocks the transmitting antenna; it seems to work fine if I hold it with just one hand and type with the other--but that's not a very usable operating position...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2007 3:03:00 PM PST
Umm... are you reviewing the right product? You refer to the "pointing stick," but this is a touchpad-equipped keyboard and not a pointing-stick equipped keyboard. I double checked mine to be sure I hadn't just missed an additional pointing device on it! ;-) Maybe you have a different Adesso keyboard? This one specifically has a touchpad, per the title of the item. ("Wireless slimtouch touchpad mini keyboard")

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008 10:53:44 AM PDT
C-Dub says:
The reviewer is referring to the Microsoft Remote Keyboard for Media Center and how its pointing stick is not as good as the IBM Thinkpads.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›