Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for former MS Money users, October 13, 2009
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2010 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I am a former MS Money user and was looking forward to effortlessly importing my data files into Quicken 2010 as promised by Intuit. The reality so far is a nightmare. Before I continue I consider myself very knowledgeable in dealing with Computer and software issues. I purchased and attempted to install Quicken Premier 2010 on October 10, 2009. The software loaded without problems. When you first open the program you are given 3 options on how to proceed. I chose the option that says I want to import my data from MS Money. As soon as I selected this and clicked on the get started button, the program crashed. I closed and reopened the program, only to get to a new screen that does not show the previous choices. After various attempts to get back to the original screen failed, I opened a chat session with customer support. After a 30 minute wait, I was connected and an agent helped with an alternate method to import the Money data. The import was successful and I thought I was good to go. I closed the program. The next day I attempted to reopen the program and the system once again crashed. Numerous attempts to reopen also failed. I removed and reloaded software with the same problem. I then downloaded and used an Intuit cleaner program to remove all traces of Quicken. I also deleted some files and folders detailed on the Quicken website. After this, I was again able to install and open the program, however when I selected the option to import Money data it once again crashed. I have since been unable to reopen the program. Not wishing to remove and reinstall again, I went to the support page of Quicken to contact customer service by phone. I felt pretty good when it promised "I would be contacted within 60 minutes. Guaranteed." Now I am unaware of what the guarantee means because I have been waiting for over 9 hours without a call back. I cannot recommend this product. If I do not receive a response by tomorrow, I plan to box it up and ship it back to Intuit for a refund. I will continue to use MS Money and update my portfolio and bank accounts manually. This product, and customer service does not live up to what they claim. Unless a fix is forthcoming, I say, save your money.

Update 11/3/2009: I am revisiting my original post because of the following:

1. Customer support has been great (although it took a lot of effort on my and others part)
2. I have imported 2 mny data files now with no problem. Part of the original problem I feel was because I did not install it as the Administrator. VERY IMPORTANT.
3. After using the program for several weeks, I am getting more used to it. Just a learning curve as it is very different from Money.
So, I would say at this point, make the purchase

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2009 5:38:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2009 1:14:17 PM PST
Ronald Clark says:
Just in time! I have been using MS Money for more years than I like to recall, and was dismayed that it has been discontinued. I had previously tried Quicken and found that file import was difficult, so I just gave up and wrote off the expense to experience, but now I am looking for a long-term alternative. Maybe Quicken is the only way, but by building from scratch and keeping my Money file as a transaction back-up for a few years. However, the customer service experience is disheartening. Any other alternatives that are not just services offering to connect you to your banks (which we can do ourselves anyway) and which don't provide good savings and portfolio management tools?

Update Nov 13:
After looking at the alternatives, I finally decided to go with Quicken Premier 2010, and bought the download from Amazon. Since I had just bought a new laptop, I felt that long-term it would be better to make the time investment required to do a clean install and load all my data from scratch (as of yesterday!), so now it's up and running. The look and feel will take some getting used to, but at least I have a certain peace of mind that I have a solid product with long-term support. Time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2009 8:08:37 PM PDT
Joyce says:
If I knew two days ago what I know now, I would not have purchased Quicken. At this point, I feel they need more time to do a better job of bringing in the Money info. I will keep experimenting with it however - if I can ever get it to run. Until then, I will just update my portfolio in Money manually. That is the only inconvenience I have.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 7:24:03 PM PDT
Utthon says:
Have you checked using the older version of to see if it will work for your system?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 10:08:51 PM PDT
Joyce says:
No. Quicken 2010 is my first experience with Intuit. After some grief and complaining, it seems Quicken is taking some interest in my problem with the aforementioned crashes, thanks in no small part to the Quicken blog moderator, Chelsea Marti.

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 1:33:55 PM PDT
Unfortunately I have to agree. I also had the misfortune of switching over from M/S Money. I was worried because of the issues previously noted. So I tried the free version on line on 10/16/2009. It worked like a charm with my bank (Great Western Bank) and my 401k information (Chas Schwab). I was impressed but needed to be able to print checks and manage my investments so I decided that the Premier version was for me. I also saw the negative post about the 100 percent satisfaction guarantee not being honored for the download version, so I went and paid $59.00 for the disk version. Seems that the Premier version that I paid $59.00 doesn't recognize my bank. go figure. the free version does, so I thought that this would be an automatic, considering that Intuit is the best selling personal finance company in the land, and that this is a new and improved version of the on line version. Needless to say, I'm about to find out about the 100 percent satisfaction guarantee with the 60-day money back guarantee. I have to say wait until Intuit gets their act together, because this version is not ready for prime time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 9:50:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2009 9:50:30 AM PDT
Ed says:
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry you've been having trouble setting up your banks in Quicken 2010 Premier. Both Great Western Bank (it's listed as Great Western - Watertown) and Charles Schwab are supported by Quicken Premier, so if you are continuing to have an issue getting set up, you may want to contact Quicken support at

Eddy - Quicken Product Team

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 8:42:50 AM PDT
jrtalent says:
I downloaded the "free" trial of M/S Money 2009. Loaded in a money 2005 ed. financial data. Didn't know 2009 was not going to be supported & I didn't feel it was much different. Tried to re-load that same financial data back into my 2005, & 2005 didn't recognize it. I worked 2 days trying to work around it. I was going to buy Quicken. After reading this intelligent & knowledgeable feedback, I'll save my money. Many thanks.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 5:17:03 AM PDT
Telecomm PMP says:
I need more information about your computer. What operating system are you using? Did you have security software "on" when you installed Quicken (and reinstalled it)? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 8:26:53 AM PDT
Joyce says:
Vista initially, then 7 only 5 days ago. Security was off. Last install (10/27) was done as Administrator and after changing some permissions for other users, I was finally able to import my 2 mny files without the program crashing. Used it a little last night and noticed a ton of bills and transactions showing unpaid and going back many years. Some other posters also had this problem. Am trying to find a way to delete in a batch but will have to do it individually I guess. Going from Money to Quicken is like going into a new world. A lot of getting used to. Anyway, after a lot of screaming I got over the top support from "Dan" at Data Services.

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 10:18:01 AM PDT
Joyce - thank you for your comments. I will hold off on buying the product. Best regards, Karan
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›