4.0 out of 5 stars Almost, But Not Quite a Great Game, November 24, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis - PC (DVD-ROM)
System: Dell XPS 410
Duel Core E6600
2gb RAM
Nvidia 640 mb 8800 GTS

I was actually somewhat disappointed in this game, I hate to say. I looked forward to this for over a year.

First the good. Graphics are very good even with the low to medium settings I was required to use because of my system. Audio, for the most part, was excellent. AI was a slight step up from other games in the genre, but not as much as I had expected. The game-play was engaging - at least for most of the game.

The only negative aspect in the graphics and sound department was the tremendous amount of computer power that must be needed to run higher settings. Although I have a mid to high computer system, I was required to run the game at a low resolution with advanced settings set to either low or medium. I couldn't come anywhere close to my monitor's native resolution of 1920 x 1200, even with all settings on the lowest setting.

What was odd is that if I let the game detect and set "optimal" settings, it would select a a medium resolution and high advanced settings. But playing at that, I could only get maybe 12-15 fps. So, the detection system was useless. I had to tweak manually to get the framerate to acceptable levels.

I finally was able to get the framerate at an average of 35-40 fps - which is very acceptable, however, every few minutes, I would hit a "bump" and my framerate would briefly drop to 0 and then bounce back up to the 35-40. Because this was happening so often, I had to take another step back in the graphics department and play on DX9 mode instead of DX10.

It was disappointing to have upgraded my computer to a duel core, 2gb or RAM and a 640mb Nvidia 8800 GTS DX10 graphics card only to run a game on DX9 with low settings and a low resolution. And this was after reading tweak guides, turning off background programs, downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia, etc. Very odd, and I suspect Crysis was rushed out and not optimized correctly.

The story and the characterization were weak in my opinion - characterization more so than the story. This is a fairly straightforward FPS with not a lot happening with character development.

Levels early in the game were much more interesting with more openness and options. As the game progressed, it became more and more linear - to the point of being very limiting.

There were a lot of glitches in the game - items floating around, things spinning. There was a lot of clipping. Some problems became quite a nuisance. For example, getting an objective to clear an area and after doing so just standing there for additional directions. None came and I spent the next ten minutes searching around until I found a hostile in a boxcar just spinning around. He wouldn't die by gunshot, so I had to grab him and throw him to the side. Once he died, it triggered the next script and I got an updated objective.

The last few levels were excruciatingly glitchy. On the ship, I kept falling through the floor to the point that it was extremely hard to complete the objectives. The boss battles were lame. It appeared to me that the game was rushed toward the end and they just threw some things together. The ending was a let down. And the thing is, the game itself was very short - maybe 9 hours or so, I would guess. You'd think they could develop something a little better in a few year's time.

I enjoyed the game, but it just wasn't as good as I had expected. High expectation can do that. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Crysis a solid 8. If it were optimized to run better and without the glitches (which could be possible with some patches in the future) I would up that score to 8.5.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2007 7:40:22 PM PST
PS2 Bruce says:
This is why I do all my gaming on consoles now, instead of PC. I have a XPS 410 Core Duo with 2GB of RAM and an NVIDA 7900 (512MB) which you would think would be plenty for any game, but no. The hell with all that, I will stick to 360 when I put the disk in, and play. I don't have time to mess with drivers, dx9 vs 10 and all that crap, just to get a game running.

Posted on Nov 30, 2007 6:34:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 6:48:36 PM PST
Dude says:
You know the cutscene where you're in the CDC with Admiral Morrison and Helena on the USS Constitution toward the end of the game? You're looking at the radar screens and Morrison is talking about evacuating the island and nuking it. The part where he says "4 days ago, NASA picked up a frequency..." is where my computer temporarily freezes up. That should not happen. I have updated my sound and video drivers and DirectX Diagnostic (dxdiag.exe) does not detect any problems. I'm running on Vista Home Basic, but I've had to run Crysis in XP SP2 compatibility mode and the auto-detect feature in Crysis tells me that all the quality settings should be on Medium. I have to put the sound on low quality, but the game still gives me a hard time during that dreaded cutscene. Oh yeah, and I've got one of those 8800 GTS 640 MB cards, too, but I don't have a multi-core processor and I'm only running with 2 GB of PC3200 RAM. Guess that's substandard for Crysis.

Posted on Dec 18, 2007 5:11:46 PM PST
A. Bush says:
There may be some issues with your hardware. I have the same graphics card and processor and I run all my settings on high with few FPS problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 7:21:50 PM PST
R. L. Hodges says:
No, but you're stuck with the console. Every game I've ever bought for PC I can still play on PC, all the way back to the DOS days 20 years ago. Every game, which is well over 200 for my collection. With consoles, you're stuck investing fortunes in a whole new set of games for each new console. No thanks. And we wont even get into the PC vs. Console debate in terms of horsepower, performance and on-screen gameplay capabilities - it's like swatting a fly with an Abrams tank.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 5:01:20 AM PST
Kenneth Sohl says:
Too true, too true. However, a friend of mine playing Oblivion on both his PC and Xbox said that the console version was easily 80 % of the PC version, so the gap between the 2 platforms is decreasing fast. I understand the next generation of Xbox will not only be in HD, but one will also be able to play PC games on it. If this is true, it will become increasingly harder to justify the $3000 or so that a system good enough to run a game like Crysis to the max will cost as opposed to spending a few hundred on a console. It's just sad that game pads are so klunky and counter-intuitive to use compared to a mouse-based set-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 11:11:37 AM PST
JGT says:
$3000? I built mine for around $800 and it runs Crysis fine at high setting on 19200x1200. No AA though.

Posted on Jan 28, 2008 2:26:22 PM PST
Maek says:
Everybody throws "duo core" out there as if it had more processing power. Bottom line - if the software is not written to take advantage of parallel processing, then treat your processor as if there were only ONE processor...and slower then some of the faster single processors out there.

It's like having a V8 engine with only 4 cylinders attached to the transmission, you know? What good is a V8 if all 8 cylinders aren't attached?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2008 4:13:15 PM PDT
D. Crenshaw says:
What is your build, JGT?

Posted on Mar 25, 2008 9:44:35 PM PDT
EA Games, it must be rushed. They should stick to sporting games, where their isn't much going on to begin with

Posted on Mar 25, 2008 9:47:12 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (328 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.19