ARRAY(0xa6de530c)

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected...while it lasted., November 17, 2010
This review is from: Genesis GMT15A Multi-Purpose Oscillating Tool (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this tool with the thought in mind not to spend too much on something I probably wouldn't use very often. At this price it was a cheap gamble. I finally got a chance to use it the other day, replacing some T&G flooring and was impressed at how well it worked. It's looks and feels solid and at this point I consider it a good purchase.I really can't see what any of the major name brand tools could do better. The only down point is finding blades that fit. You won't find them at HD or Lowes. Amazon sells blades made by Versa-Tool that fit, so if you buy the tool, stock up so you don't get caught without any replacements.

Update: The Bosch blades will fit, but man are they expensive! Also, if you hit a nail it doesn't matter how much you paid for the blade, it's history.

Update part 2: Ever heard the old saying "You get what you pay for"? Well, in this case it turned out to be true. After using the tool for just a few times, it started acting erratic until it finally just would not turn on. I'm pretty sure it's the switch but it's useless now. It worked long enough to get an idea of it's unique abilities and opened my eyes to how useful these type of tools can be. Now I can justify buying a high end tool as I found it to be indispensible.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2010 8:56:13 PM PST
V. Em Kay says:

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 7:31:43 PM PST
I don't know how old this review is but i can not understand why the purchaser didn't return or demand a replacement given the short duration of the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 6:00:45 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
Yes, I did return the Genesis, and then bought a Fein.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 9:28:53 AM PST
Anna says:
Thank you for taking the time to add the updates. Your honesty, concerns and comments really help those of us who want to give it a try, but need just a bit more information from experienced owners of the product. Really do appreciate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 12:58:20 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
Your very welcome, it's the least I could do. That's what I love most about Amazon, the reviews. I find them much more valuable and believable when researching a potential purchase than some professional reviews like Consumer Reports or others like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 7:29:43 AM PST
P. D. Parr says:
hi. Did you have a problem returning the product? What was their customer service like? thank you for your time

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2011 3:13:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2011 3:16:15 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
It was easy to return. I took it back to Northern Tools where they also sell them, and since I couldn't provide a receipt, they gave me a store credit. It's about the same price there as Amazon. I never had any direct contact with the manufacturer.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 11:31:23 PM PDT
Before buying a high end tool, try Harbor Freight same tool. I have not been disappointed. The bi-metal blades are good on small nails.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 6:34:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2011 6:35:41 AM PDT
MW says:
I find most power tools made by Harbor Freight to be VERY light duty. I guess they are fine if you don't plan to use them much. I have burnt a few of them up before buying something higher quality. Even Black and Decker is made better than Harbor Freight.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 6:24:01 PM PDT
B. Masuda says:
I've used the Harbor Freight version of this tool for over a year almost on a weekly basis. I've never had a problem and absolutely love this tool. I got it for $25 on sale and these days you can get it for $20. I do agree, that a lot of power tools at Harbor Freight are worthless, but this particular tool is an exception.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (315 customer reviews)

$49.99 $39.98