Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars Check out from library, February 3, 2011
This review is from: The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story (Hardcover)
I love PW and follow her blog daily. I was so excited to get this book and read it since I had read the story on her site about how she and her husband met and fell in love. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in this book. Only the last 85 pages is new material. The majority of the material can be read for free online. Also, the story up through the wedding is very detailed and flows beautifully. The story that takes place after the wedding doesn't have a lot of detail and doesn't really flow that well, but what can be expected when you are using 85 pages to cover a year when you have previously used 230 pages to describe the first year? The price is very high, even at the sale price, for the amount of new material. I suggest checking this book out from your library rather than purchasing it, or just reading the blog for free.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2011 9:37:15 AM PST
Bridget says:
I actually end up returning my book because there wasn't enough new material to warrant the cost of the book. Also many of the recipes can be located on her website or simply looked up in any cookbook or online. I like supporting my favorite authors by buying their books, but I am a big fan of just going to library. It is a great money saver and I just supporting my public library.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 10:23:10 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 4, 2011 1:36:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2011 12:29:43 PM PST
Bridget says:
I bought mine on Amazon and had no problem returning the book. Amazon has a fairly decent and user friendly return policy. Also I am pretty sure you can even return Kindle versions of a book. At least that is my understanding.

Also if you can't return a book then you can always sell it on Amazon and get most of the money back. Also I don't think that it is all that hard to set up an account to sell books here. My friend
does it with her school books and she just has to type in the UPC code and all the information about the book is filled in automatically. I have been thinking of doing this with all the books I have lying around. Just as way to put them to better use.

Sorry this is more information than you were asking for.

If you are planning on returning. I hope that you don't have any problems.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 6:41:42 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2011 6:44:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 1:14:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2011 1:15:55 PM PST
CC says:
I'd prefer reviews of the book, not step by step instructions on how to return it. I think it's rude to return a book you read and weren't happy with.

Ree also says on her site that the majority of the book was there, and she saved the wedding, etc for the book. I'm not sure why if you read her website daily you wouldn't know that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 2:17:25 AM PST
Bridget says:
I am sorry. It was my understanding that I posted my comment in the comment/discussion section and it was in response to a question on whether I had difficulty returning my book or not. If you prefer to read reviews of the book then might I suggest sticking to that portion of the website.

I also provided some other information in case it might be helpful to whomever in returning whatever book they wanted to return. Maybe a college student read this comment and found a way to get some money back on their very expensive text books. I am all for helping people out because I find it rude not to offer help when someone asks for it.

I wonder do you send food back? Do you return store purchases? Clothes that don't fit? Return stuff you just don't like? How is a book any different?

I suppose I could have used it for kindling, but I thought that maybe someone who couldn't afford the price of a new book, might be able to afford the cost of a used book. I thought that since I didn't like the book that there was probably someone out there that might like it and so instead of throwing it away or burning it. I returned it. How rude.

Also according to my Ree Fact App. She said that the first half would be old stuff and the second half would be new stuff, and there just wasn't enough new material in comparison to the cost of the book. See even if a person reads her site daily it is easy to make an honest mistake or for there to be a miscommunication between perceived expectations and reality, and for some of us there wasn't enough new material and that was disappointing because we were hoping that the book would be heavier with new material and lighter with the stuff from her blog. When the customer isn't satisfied with the product then they are within their rights to return it. Maybe honest criticism and reactions will help Ree to hone her writing skills in the future and allow her to produce a better book. Forward movement can emerge from conflict.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 4:08:13 PM PST
Not sure what you expected...but this never was going to be excess chapters. I read the story online as well...but was happy to buy the book have it in it's entirety (reading it while she was publishing it online and again in person, helped me realize quite a few things personnally) both to have it..and to have the chance to meet Ree and have her sign it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 5:37:06 PM PDT
I agree with you C.A.Carnes. Who returns a book! Pass it on to someone who has not read her story. That is the fun of having a book. If you know who P.W. is then you know her story, did you want her to rewrite her life. Goodness

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 6:06:44 PM PDT
jjchenoa says:
What "says it all" to me is that there are zero replies to the 5 star raters personally berating them for their opinions but so many people just cannot keep from needling those who expressed that they didn't like the book. I wonder what it is about Ree or her product that makes people feel they have to vehemently defend her against anyone whose opinion of her product isn't the same as theirs. Kinda creepy really.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 2:51:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 2:58:13 PM PDT
It's that way on her blog, also. She is very charismatic, and her self-deprecating humor makes her seem approachable. She's very, very, very good at it. She is the Paris Hilton of cyber space - the quintessential web-celeb. I used to read her blog and occasionally leave a comment. I noticed that whenever a comment was less than totally sycophantic, there were "security police" on her site who deleted it immediately. I tried it a couple of times, saying something that was other than, oh, Ree, you are so wonderful, and it was ripped off fast. I think she has a small militia whose only job is to polish Queen Ree's throne. Yes, it's VERY creepy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›