Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy so far, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D800 36.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I've had my D800 for less than 2 weeks and so far I am happy. here is my background

I've owned D700 (several samples), D7000 (several samples), D300 (several samples), D90, D80, D40, D40s, D60 in Nikon
I've owned 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D, XSI, T1i, T2i in Canon.

D700 is a brilliant camera, incredible AF, incredible low light shots, fast fps with grip (8), scene recognition in auto mode, built like a tank
D800 takes spectacular photographs in either JPEG or RAW. the AF is at least as good as D700. Scene recognition in auto mode is even better, it essentially focuses on the face.

The worst camera from the top tier consumer and prosumers in terms of AF is D7000.. I have gone through several of them. The AF Module on D7000 is inferior to D300/D700/D800. D7000 was the only latest Nikon where I experienced AF problems in low light. Never with D300 or D700. D7000 - yes. Problems with continuous AF when shooting White Birds on Contrasty Background - D7000 - YES, D300/D700/D800 - no.

The only things I am kind of not loving on D800 - the AF switching was changed from D3/D300/D700 way to D7000 way , where you have to now press the button and scroll one of the two wheels and you have to think which wheel does what. I liked the levers of D700, simple two levers controlled everything. But I guess I will have to get used to it. The second thing I am not happy about is 4FPS. And the third is of course - the battery life went down significantly from D300/D700.

Everything else, including the new Auto-ISO feature is brilliant. it basically now accounts for VR in lenses, where you can control how aggresive auto ISO is depending on the lens you use. If you don't have VR you may want it to select faster shutter speeds, if you do have VR, you can set it to select slower shutter speeds. You can turn off Auto-ISO via the wheel without having to go into menu.

5DM3 is a great camera too. I think the AF is pretty similar. AF has to do with not only the Camera but lenses. The truth is that Canon's USM on their top lenses is just brilliant and they focus incredibly fast. Just try the old 24-70 on any of their bodies. Nikons' AF-S SWF is pretty fast but not as fast as Canon's USM. On balance though, both 5DM3 and D800 will do brilliant job for you.

This review is obviously only based on less than 2 weeks of use. I will update it later as I get more experience with D800.

Another couple of weeks went by and I used D800 more. Loving the results. I am starting to get used to new way of changing AF and it is working pretty good. I took the camera to a very dark restaurant with 50mm 1.4G lens which everyone seems to be hating these days on D800, and got many great pictures in very dark conditions. The only problem I see is that poor battery life. I took about 500 pictures with very little live view and one or two short videos and my D800 shows only 33% of battery left. That projects to me under 700 photos per battery life. I was able to routinely shoot way over 1000 shots with D300, D700, and even D7000. So I don't know what is going there, but I am going to have to purchase another battery.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 12:15:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 12:16:17 PM PDT
Tesla says:
You said you owned a D7k. I just got my D800 and it just seems it's shutter release is rather slow...Here is an ex:

I'm hoping this is just some screwed up setting on my end. Got my D800 yesterday and today being playing a lot with it. So today is very sunny I go out shoot in A (or P for that matter) I get a fast shutter speed 1/500 1/1000 but one I click on the shutter release button, it just seems like it's taking longer than I expect. With my D7k it was a fraction of a second in these weather conditions, with D800 more like a sec, wth is going on? I use only 64G SDXC extreme pro Sandisk but I tried a transcend SD and it's the same.
Please advise.
Thanks!

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:30:56 AM PDT
Eddie Grant says:
Hello D. Bodsky. I'm in no way a Canon fanboy but that's all I owned eg. the A1, 350d, and the 5D Mark II, I saw the Mark III (not entirley impressed with the dramatic price increase over the Mark II) but I'm seriously looking into the 800 D. If you can could post some those shots in the restaurant with the 50mm 1.4 glass. I'm very interested in seeing those photos. I love shooting in low light but looking for something better that the II. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:10:28 AM PDT
D. Brodsky says:
G37X, I have experienced exactly the same thing you are saying, it is like there is a moment between your squeeze the shutter and actual release. I even wrote about it on dpreview forum. Can you tell me the following though, is it happening with every lens you own or with one specific lens. I remember having this same issue with 50mm 1.4G but when I switched to a different lens, the shutter release became quicker.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:15:24 AM PDT
D. Brodsky says:
Eddie Grant, here is a link to a gallery of low light shots I took with D800 and 50mm 1.4G lens. http://brodsky.smugmug.com/Night-Life-and-Going-Out/Mercado-Di-Vetro/22463128_GJBX5d#!i=1795959313&k=b5pnNqZ

I am actually looking into Canon as a companion to my D800. I have a few Canon lenses and also Canon T2i. I am thinking about Canon 7D to compliment my D800 to shoot sports/action during daylight. its 1.6 crop mode and 8 frames per second, with decent af could work. Interestingly, because a lot of people are dumping their 5DM2s to get 5DM3, I see prices from $1400-1600 on used 5DM2 on forums, yet 7D prices are still $1100-1300 for used. So the prices for used 7D and 5DM2 are almost the same.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 2:03:19 PM PDT
Tesla says:
Thanks. Well it was a dumb mistake on my end, got too excited with the new camera. It was set on Quiet mode. It's all flying now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 2:21:38 PM PDT
D. Brodsky says:
Oh yes? I also set it on quiet mode then!!!! Because on D7000 you can set it on quiet mode and it is not so slow.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 5:55:54 PM PDT
Eddie Grant says:
The Mark II is the better choice for low light I hate the 3.9 fps it has. Your pics in the restaurant are great!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 6:36:26 PM PDT
D. Brodsky says:
Thank you. The reason I am not interested in Mark II is that I have D800. I like 7D for 8fps

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 6:57:04 PM PDT
Eddie Grant says:
The 7D is a better choice for sports and action.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 9:38:06 AM PDT
Aquarius says:
Hello, I was wondering if you've run into the left-point Auto Focus problem that many people have reported and demonstrated in numerous blogs. I love this camera, but the AF concern is a big problem for me. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›