5.0 out of 5 stars Amplified improvement over Mohu Leaf & Leaf Plus - UPDATED 6/8/14, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna (Electronics)
Length:: 4:30 Mins

Previous to this purchase I tried the Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA and Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna at my home. Neither product worked better than the Philips SDV2750/27 Amplified Superior Digital Design Antenna, and none of the three could pull in more than five channels.

In other words - they didn't work for me.

When I saw the Mohu line had a new one - the Mohu MH-004092 Leaf Ultimate, I was pessimistically optimistic that with a 50 mile range it might be able to reach the tower located 43 miles away and pull in a couple more channels. TVFool had indicated I needed an outdoor antenna to grab over-air signals in my area, but I decided to give this one a try and if it didn't work - I could always return it.

"Mohu Ultimate - A Nice Surprise!"

Unboxed it looks and feels very much like the other two Leaf products (white on one side, black on the other), but it has an amplifier dongle, that is powered by USB. You can use the included AC adapter (with USB port on it) to power it by AC, or you can plug into a USB port on your amplifier or TV to power it. I chose the AC adapter, and plugged mine into a surge protected power strip. A blue light on the amplifer came on when it was powered up.

Directions for the Mohu Leaf Ultimate are simple and straightforward. There's not a lot to get confused about, which is great. Anyone can set this antenna up!

Assembly is as easy as attaching the cords per the directions, powering up the amplifier, and hanging the Mohu Ultimate in the best spot for over air reception. Finding the optimum placement for the Mohu Ultimate to work its magic is the tricky part!

It took me 5 attempts at hanging the Mohu (taking note of channels received after auto-tune and the signal quality of those channels) before I finally found the perfect spot to receive all of the HD channels in my area from CBS, NBC and ABC.

Hung 7' away from other electronics, about 1" down from the ceiling, and about 5" from the corner on an East facing wall with a large window opposite the wall, the Mohu Ultimate did what none of the others could accomplish. The over-air HD channels I'd been hoping I could pull in from 43 miles away, through mountains, were now mine without being hooked up to cable! Crystal clear reception on all available HD channels, with no dropped signals or pixalation.

That was something the Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA and Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna had not been able to accomplish for me, due to shorter range and perhaps never before finding 'just the right spot' to place the Mohu for optimum reception.

However, depending upon where you live, you might be able to save yourself some money. If you live in a urban area with lots of towers nearby, you may not need the 'Ultimate' and its amplified range. Consider saving a bit of money and going with the original Mohu leaf first, after you check with TVFool and/or antennaweb for signal strength and range in your area.

Mohu Ultimate is a top notch device that works as promised when correctly placed for optimium performance. It's build quality is solid, and it's easy to set-up and use.

Do I wish it was a tad less pricey? Sure, but for its unobtrusive good looks, outstanding performance and money it's going to save me in the long run over cable - it's worth it!

I will be using the Mohu Ultimate, and a Roku device to stream Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Instant Video. That combination will save me approximately $100 a month in cable bills. Something I thought I'd never be able to do with a very simple looking indoor antenna.

Definitely worth a look no matter where you live - rural, suburban or city dwellers - if you want to cut ties with cable TV.

Tips to getting the Mohu Ultimate to work for you:

1. To find the best placement for your Mohu, check TVFool for towers in your area. Knowing what channels are available, their strengths, and distance from you, and direction, is very helpful in finding the best spot for this omni-directional antenna.

2. Try at least half a dozen spots in your room to find what works best, and then you can neaten up your wiring as needed. Do a channel search after every new placement and take note of each channel's quality and tweak accordingly.

3. Hang the Mohu as high up on a wall as possible for the best reception to start, and then adjust as needed.

UPDATE: 2/5/2013

Getting nice clear HD reception from all the biggies in my area (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and FOX). Learned that if I moved the Mohu up or down on the wall - even as little as 2" makes a difference in reception! I actually lost ABC when I placed the Mohu too high on the wall, but gained it back by dropping it down 2".

To get proper placement you may want to get a second person to help you, especially if you know the channels that should come in (because the towers are close enough and/or you've received the signal before), and have them make minor adjustments up and down to get things adjusted for optimum reception.

I have noticed a slight delay on audio over air on one channel, but otherwise, looks as good as it did using Charter cable.

UPDATE: 5/1813

Some comments regarding supplementing your over air TV programming with 'streaming' devices such as Apple TV MD199LL/A [NEWEST VERSION] and Roku 3 Streaming Player.

Streaming devices use a wireless signal or a hardwired Internet cord (from your modem or router) to stream content to your HDTV. They don't require a tuner, thus the HDTV really acts only as a monitor for the device to be able to show content to you.

The Mohu Leaf has nothing to do with the streaming of anything. It simply catches OTA (Over The Air) FREE programming (standard and HD) and through the tuner in your TV, puts those OTA channels into your tuner's memory so you can watch those signals.

Two separate things.

IF you have an OTA tuner such as the Mohu Leaf Ultimate or similar, you can cut ties with your cable company IF you are happy with the programming options it gives you. Streaming programming from Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and other sources allows you to add to your programming options without the cost of cable TV, but it does require both the device (means to stream programming) and Internet service (a per month cost).

UPDATE: 7/8/13

I ended up lending my Mohu Leaf Ultimate to my mother for a test drive, and hooked-up my non-amplified Mohu Leaf while she tried out this one.

Needless to say I lost channels - two were my favorite HD ones - and wanted THIS one back!

I cannot speak for everyone who uses this amplified antenna, but for me, in my location... I need that extra 'umph' provided by the Mohu Leaf Ultimate!

UPDATE: 1/6/14

Mohu Curve 50 Designer HDTV Antenna is the latest of the amplified Mohu antennas. It has a curved design versus the flat design of this one. I've yet to get to test drive it, but if I do I'll be excited to see if there is any performance difference.

I recently helped a friend drop her Charter cable TV by using a Mohu Leaf. She lives in a town with towers a lot closer than in my area - and she's thrilled!

We both find that since we get the over air HD channels *(all the biggies: Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS... in HD) and can get most programming via the Internet, Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus - there's really no need to pay for so many channels we never watch. Not when we're saving about $1200 a year doing it.

UPDATE: 1/18/14

One thing to consider before cable cutting is whether or not you enjoy live sports. If so, keeping cable may be the only way (other than sport-specific subscriptions on the Roku or similar device) to feed that addiction. I've found that while the Mohu Leaf Ultimate works amazingly well in my rural location to pull in all the HD channels, I can only watch sports on those channels or pay to watch them on a channel via Roku or Apple TV.

I'm also picking up some channels with my PC tuner - with no Mohu attached - and am able to use the PC as a DVR. I've hooked up the Mohu to the tuner and it works well, but I was really surprised to get some unscrambled channels via the straight cable connection, even with my TV service turned off. **Give it a try if you have a PC tuner and Windows Media Player. Maybe you'll get lucky this way too!

I still get my internet via my cable company, but my bill went from $150 a month to $54 by using the Mohu Leaf Ultimate. Really a great, almost life-changing, money-saving device. Still highly recommend it!

UPDATE: 2/1/14

After the initial shock of losing TLC, FX, A&E, History and HGTV, I'm so happy to be using the Mohu Leaf Ultimate to pull in my over-air HD signals. 98% of the time, the picture is crystal clear, without a hiccup. All the major stations in HD and no cable bill.

Even after pulling the plug on cable TV, I'm able to get cable channels through my PC which has a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) attached to it, via Windows Media Player. I actually get some channels that I don't get via the Mohu on the PC (in addition to the over-air channels picked up by the Mohu), and can use the PC as a DVR. I don't have a flat anntena hooked up to my PC, so I guess the signal is coming through the line that's split with the other lead feeding my cable modem for our internet service?

2/4/14 UPDATE - Per a comment left by J.Ward I learned something new today that I want to share with others.

Jeff says: "No TV receives 1080P from Cable, Dish, or Antenna, so there is no limitation with your TV, as stated in your video review. It is simply too large of an amount of data to bring to the household, so it is limited to a broadcast of 1080i. The only way to view 1080P currently is via BluRay." Good to know - Thanks Jeff!

The over-air HD channels in 1080i look great, and I'm tickled to have 'em with the Mohu (newly renamed Mohu Leaf 50 - for the 50 mile range) Ultimate.

2/12/14 UPDATE - "Hmmm... not sure what happened to that other HD over air channel?"

I'm not sure why, but last night I lost one of the digital, over-air channels about 14 miles from my house. Using the TV to do an autoscan for channels I found that when scanning 'air', I do not get the channel anymore. I swapped out the TV with another containing a similar digital tuner. I was thinking that my old plasma was giving up the ghost and the tuner was dying, but alas the newer HDTV also did not pick up the lost channel.

Troubleshooting this way told me it wasn't the tuner, but it didn't tell me if it was the antenna or the signal that had changed.

I did a channel scan for 'cable' (I have the cable lead plugged into the back of my TV, although no cable TV service at present), and there was the channel I'd lost, and another I missed noting I'd lost in addition to the first. I tried to clear the TV of scrambled channels, but it wouldn't do it. It may just be that I was impatient, so I'll try to do that later today when no one is watching TV.

I can use the TV's remote to switch between the two feeds to get all the channels, but I am confused as to why this happened in the first place. Using the TV's channel search for a combined 'Air and Cable' I still don't get the channel without switching the 'antenna' button on my TV's remote. Unplugging the cable from the wall from the TV also did nothing to fix this issue.

Needless to say it's not ideal, but I can't say for sure whether it's the antenna or something else.

NOTE: A reviewer in the comments noted that he took off the antenna amplifier and got more channels than with it. I don't doubt him, but when I do this, my normal 12-14 channels drops to only 2! Amplified is the only way to go in my house.

UPDATE: 2/24/14 - Tried the Mohu Sky 60 HDTV Antenna (formerly Sky HDTV) and sent it back after troubleshooting and finding that by upgrading the Ultimate's coaxial, I got back my channels and cleared up the signal loss. I gained no channels by upgrading to the Mohu Sky, but that extra 10 mile range may help some folks. Just bear in mind you have to install it in your attic or on your rooftop for the best performance.

Mediabridge Coaxial Digital Audio/Video Cable (25 Feet) - Triple Shielded F-Pin to F-Pin with Easy Grip Connector Caps - Black solved my issue. I suggest upgrading the thin cable that ships with the Mohu to this one to get the best signal strength and stability.

UPDATE: 4/13/14

In the comments jbwam mentions an issue that you may want to know. The warranty will be voided if you puncture it, as with a nail to hang it. This model has two small holes which allow it to be hung this way, but Winegard's model does not.

UPDATE: 4/23/14

I received so many questions regarding my use of this Mohu Leaf antenna that I decided to write a book about over-the-air TV and setting up flat antennas. Check it out! Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV which is written in a non-techy way, for real people who just want to know more, save money and watch a little TV.

UPDATE: 6/8/14

Recently I started using my new TV with this Mohu antenna and as with the other one all the channels were recognized with a 'air' channel scan and look great! My new TV: Sharp LC-60EQ10U 60-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz Smart LED TV has built-in apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus and others (but not Amazon... a major bummer for me, but the Roku still has it) as well as an on screen guide that seamlessly integrates the over air channels with offerings from streaming media. At a glance I can now see what's on for all my over air channels as well as what's available on Netflix. A very cool feature that I was pleased worked so well with the Mohu antenna.

NOTE: If you're having issues with your Mohu antenna not receiving channels, or issues with setup in general, email them! They are really receptive and will help you get it right. They want you to successfully cut the cord and enjoy OTA FREE TV!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 93 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2013 2:43:34 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
You might not be the best person to ask this to since you weren't having much luck getting signals with the first 2 leafs, but... Were you getting any kind of signal with either of the first 2 that just seemed to be too glitchy to actually watch? I mean artifacts that would scramble the image and sound. I have the original leaf and love it, but on a few channels it is just too glitchy to be able to watch the channels on a regular basis. Sometimes they come in clear or mostly clear, sometimes I can't watch the show at all it is just so bad. I have been trying to decide if I wanted to try the amplified version (though it would cost a lot for me at this time to try and buy another one to test out), and just now saw this ultimate one. I actually live REALLY close to one tower, about 26 miles? from another which I think is the one giving me issues with the couple channels. I had heard that amplified antennas are not good for really close towers, but there is a hilly area and many buildings between me and the tower which causes a slightly degraded signal. Trying to decide if I should just try the Moho Leaf Plus or go Ultimate now. I would hate to have to save up the money and then find it still didn't help and have issues with returning it (since it wouldn't be a problem with the antenna itself, just the way it worked for me). I wish there was a way to just add an amplifier to my original leaf since I just need a bit more power to get those 2-3 channels in a bit better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 8:01:17 AM PST
Andrea Polk says:
It's such an individual scenario thing, that it's tough to know if the Ultimate would work for you or not. You can return them, but I understand your reluctance to save and spend. I had a tough time spending the cash on this one too, even though the goal is to cut ties with cable and save a bunch in the long run.

There IS a way to add amplification to the original Mohu Leaf.

The cheapest way for you to check if an amplified signal helps you at all would be to purchase something like a Acoustic Research RCA AMP1450R Digital Amplifier for Indoor Antenna and add it to your set-up. There's a Mohu one: Mohu MH-004078 Jolt Standalone HDTV Antenna Amplifier but it's much more expensive.

The Mohu Leaf allowed me to pull in the same channels as my Philips amplified rabbit ears. Nothing more.

The Mohu Leaf Plus was a bit better, pulling in a few more channels, but as you described 'glitchy' (pixilated, with sound cutting in and out). Unwatchable really. However, it may work for you and might be worth trying first (knowing you may have to return it and get the Ultimate) to save some money.

I truly expected I'd be sending the Mohu Ultimate back, and was truly surprised when I found the right spot to hang it and got such great reception.

I hope this helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 11:28:20 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
This does help, thanks! I will look into the antenna amplifiers and see what the prices are, and compare them all before making a choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 12:43:18 PM PST
Andrea Polk says:
Sounds like the smartest, cheapest course of action. Good luck!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 10:47:13 AM PST
R. Meyer says:
Thanks for a very helpful review. Are you using a DVR (PC-based or dedicated) to time-shift programs, and if so, what system/method/software? I'm reading good things about VLC media player, a free program that runs on a PC. -Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:46:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 4:48:18 PM PST
Hi Bob,

VLC is an excellent bit of free Open Source software, and very customizable for media streaming across all platforms, but be careful downloading and installing it as I've gotten 'bugs' attached to it at various times. (Go to videolan dot org to get the official downloads and then scan the download with your antivirus and Malwarebytes - free download is fine - to make sure it's clean before installing.)

With the Mohu Ultimate I swap out the cable lead and hook up the Mohu antenna to my Avertv Hybrid Volar Max TV Tuner Kit for Windows MTVHVMXSK and it works great.

For software I use Windows Media Center (I have a Windows 7 64-bit PC with a Core i7 processor) with both cable and the Mohu Amplified tuner. I acquire channels and then use it as a DVR, sending the recorded programs to my Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (STCA3000101).

If you have a DVR with a digital tuner (most if not all do I think...) the Mohu connects and you grab signals off-air by 'antenna scan' or similar in the DVR menu.

If you want to check out 'Always On : How to record live TV to a computer' on YouTube. That setup is yet another way to send TV to your PC.

For me it's always really all about finding something that works best for you, with what you already have, and not spending a bundle in the process.

I hope this helps you.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:56:41 AM PDT
Azen says:
I have bought several Mohu antennas in the last two years, their customer service is excellent and will help you determine signal strength at any location.

Posted on May 13, 2013 11:29:20 PM PDT
Wow, great review, sold me on the this particular antenna. Now the Challenge will be my Wife; she is having a problem with the loss of LMN, Lifetime Movie Network. I have Roku, Amazon Instant Video, and Crackle and WiFi, directly connected to the TV, but it is the LMN channel that will be the obstacle. This won't be a problem if I could find LMN via any other signal on Roku or others. Your response will be appreciated on an LMN signal.
But I do have a question about this Antenna. What does one do to connect several home TVs to the antenna? Will we need to purchase a separate antenna for each TV?

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 12:35:23 AM PDT
Ivy Vine says:
You could try to connect more than one tv to the antenna, but spitting the signal will deteriorate it and the longer the cable run to each room, will as well. Usually, the people that I see who do this tend to use an outdoor/rooftop antenna and have an amplifier with it. It might be easiest and best (with signal quality) to get an indoor antenna for each tv (though could get expensive if buying too many).

They are easy to place as they don't take up much space, my regular Leaf is actually taped to the side of a bookshelf using blue painters tape! I was going to do that temporarily until I found the best position for it, and then use the velcro tabs that it comes with, but my tape has held it up there for about 7.5 months now, and I don't care how it looks, so I just haven't bothered to mess with it.

I do have some signal issues with it for a couple stations, so I have been thinking of trying this new Ultimate Leaf to see if that fixes my problems, but I don't have the cash right now. If I can start to earn a bit more money this summer, it is on my wishlist to buy at that time. I am close to one major tower in my city (San Francisco), but there are hills and houses between us and so my signal is only ok for how close I am (a couple miles only). My issue is with the one tower that is about 26 miles away, that one gets CW (the worst station with bad glitching artifacts). I also have issues with Fox and ION at times that I would like to clear up. I am hoping an amplified antenna will make things better and not worse.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 7:20:23 AM PDT
Andrea Polk says:
I agree with Ivy Vine. Splitting the signal will deteriorate it, and defeats the purpose of using it for the best possible over-air reception. For the best reception, a Leaf Ultimate on each TV is the way to go. They also work using TV tuners in PCs!

As for LMN ... that's a tough one. For me it's FX. Are there specific programs your wife likes? That may be easier to look for than receiving that channel. They do have full episodes online at their website.

Hope this helps you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (7,425 customer reviews)
 (4,104)
 (1,236)

$89.99 $69.25
Reviewer

Andrea Polk
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Pacific Northwest - USA