5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cisco E4200 and Netgear WNDR3700, February 25, 2011
This review is from: ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U) (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased two other routers before purchasing this one to replace an older 2.4ghz router. The first router I purchased was the newly released Cisco Linksys E4200. I ended up returning it because I barely had a signal downstairs and slow output. My previous router usually had around 70%-80% signal downstairs however the E4200 would quickly lose signal the farther I moved away from the router. I purchased as a replacement the highly rated Netgear WNDR3700. This router had much better signal however it would not work with my external hard drive. Per review of online comments and Netgear's own website, the 3700 has issues being compatible with numerous external hard drives. Netgear has posted on their website about a dozen compatible hard drives that work with the 3700. I had the choice to either keep the 3700 and fork out another $50-$100 on a new external hard drive that would work or purchase another router with similar features. I ran across the Asus at my local electronic store. I never heard of this model before since it is a new release. Before I decided to purchase it, I went home and read the limited reviews I could find on it. Both expert and consumer reviews were positive. I ended up purchasing the Asus. I was completely blown away by the features and performance of this router. I have over 90% signal downstairs. My laptop is maintaining 230-270mbps connection when I am downstairs (about 30 feet away from router which is upstairs) which was impossible with both the E4200 and 3700. The user interface provides significant amount more custom options than both the Netgear and Cisco. My external HDD (Seagate) was instantly recognized by the router. I also found the wired connection runs smoother and faster than the 3700. The 3700 had a delay at times loading pages. Overall this is in my opinion the best performing router that I have ever owned. Currently the WNDR3700 is considered the best but it has been out for a while now. The Cisco E4200 claims to be the best however I disagree with this due to real hands-on experience with it. There is a good amount of owner complaints already being posted about the E4200 which is similar to issues that I also encountered. The only bad thing I found with this unit is that it does not allow wall mount option. For the price, performance and features, this is an excellent value and steal.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2011 6:36:38 PM PST
B. Kiser says:
I ordered my RT-N56U on Saturday. I could not bring myself to order the E4200, due to my experience with the Linksys WRT-610n. I've had the 610n for years, and thought for a very long time my dropouts were due to my ISP. With all the streaming video my family has started using, the dropouts have become more of a problem, and I suspect now that it's my Linksys router. I will post a review of my RT-N56U after I've used it a while, but I have high hopes. Small Net Builder gave it a glowing review, as well as several other reputable sites.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2011 6:55:18 PM PST
I have owned the RT-N56U for a couple of weeks now. I have not had a single drop-out and no disconnects since I purchased it. It has been rock solid. I recently registered the router on the Asus website. I went to the main router product page where it has a link for the award section on this router. I was not surprised to see this router win tons of award and recommendations. There is also a link to a professional review site where the test results confirmed the speed on this router is significantly faster than any other router out there right now. It totally wasted the Netgear 3700.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:33:20 AM PST
B. Kiser says:
Okay, this is preliminary information so I didn't want to post a full review until I know more, but I got mine yesterday and installed it. First thing I noticed was it's way more complex to install than my old Linksys WRT610n. I am pretty technical and it was definitely not "plug-in" and go due to my PPPoE DSL connection.

The most significant thing I've noticed so far is the performance improvement. I can definitely see it when watching videos from my network share across my wired network.

The wireless range (2.5ghz) is about the same as my old WRT-610n router. I do not have a 5ghz device so I was unable to test 5ghz.

However, the wired performance increase alone was worth the money. I also did not have a drop out last night, as my old Linksys did often, but one night is not enough of a test period to know for sure it's reliable.

Last note is that there is a RT-N76U coming out, supposedly superior to this model. Something to keep in mind if you are like me and want the best for your home network.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 7:16:52 AM PDT
Lissy351 says:
This review isn't viable unless you have inside connections... the E4200 won't be released until May 1st, 2011. Maybe you were talking about the E3000 or the E2500?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 8:11:29 AM PDT
Melissa, if you did your research, you would have known that BestBuy has been carrying the E4200 since late January. They have an agreement with the manufacturer to carry their products earlier than other retailers. Amazon was not selling it back then.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 4:06:03 PM PDT
T. Zheng says:
I can verify this.

I bought the E4200 from Best Buy when it was first released a month or two ago.
Horrible signal just like smart shopper.
Did a graph on the signal strength.

red line is my old WRT54GS while the white/grey lines are the E4200.

Stay away from E4200.

I'm actually going to try out this ASUS very soon.

Posted on May 3, 2011 12:48:17 PM PDT
R. Greenwald says:
Purchased the ASUS RT-N56U yesterday (2 day shipping with prime is so nice... so it'll be in tmw) after nearly a week of deciphering information, reviews, charts, and comparisons. It'll be replacing my Linksys WRT330N, which had a shaky history (dropouts, some slow downs, lots of tinkering, and finally a crippling (due to linksys' own site firmware of all things) which caused it to become unusable as a wireless router... thanks linksys).

The 3 contenders being:
The ASUS RT-N56U
the Linksys E4200 (...eww Linksys *shudder*)
and the Netgear WNDR4000. (impressive but missing printer/storage usb capabilities)

Will post a review when it shows. As a side note... My only real concern is the integration of IPv6 in the (relatively near?) future. As far as I can tell, this router does not (and possibly will not?) support IPv6. Anyone feel it's a justifiable concern?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 4:48:47 PM PDT
B. Kiser says:
Yes, I think it's definitely a concern if you need IPv6 support. I'm taking the stance that this router is "good enough" for now, replacing my crappy WRT-610n (also had many disconnects over the years). It was a great buy for me, but I understand it's a temporary purchase. I'll probably upgrade in a handful of years when IPv6 is more standard and fleshed out. But for now, this router is fast and will do just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 7:10:35 AM PDT
R. Greenwald says:
I agree B. Kiser. To quote you, "if you need IPv6 support" sticks out to me. I personally am in no rush to switch to new hardware if this will do the job (and so far it is) that I'm looking for. As soon as I see an IPv6 exclusive site that I'm dying to have, I may take another look at the WNDR4000 or other such router that will be mandatory to have it's support by then.

I'm taking the stance that for $120, I want a solid (mid/high range of signal), fast (this puppy is flying), stable (little to no dropouts/slow downs/disconnects)... that will last me until IPv6 becomes a major concern (the trouble with this is there's no telling if it'll be 6 months or 6 years until it becomes this way).

For a preliminary review, as I have had this router running for approximately 17 hours:
Pros:
-Setup was easy enough (for a moderate techie): plug it in, run some software, fine tweak in 192.168.1.1, game on (about 10 minutes to complete)
-Plug and print USB feature worked nearly flawlessly (plugged in my ancient HP 7960 series, ran the utility on the cd, and boom: wireless printing.... note: must run the utility on any wireless device that wishes to have Wireless Printing capabilities (not just a 1 time thing as far as I could tell, and I connected via ethernet during the process, but unsure if it's necessary))
- Speed (clocked in at speakeasy as 24 down/4 up) wirelessly - the max my wireless has ever given me.
- Aesthetically pleasing.... shiny :)
- Handling a moderate amount of devices very well: 2 Phones, 2 Laptops, 2 Gaming Consoles

Cons:
- Upright design (though may be counted as a pro for heat dissipation/air flow) makes it look like it could topple over if someone pulled to hard on a cable that's connected to it
- Had 1 minor hiccup when trying to visit a website that's appeared only once thus far. Lasted through 1 refresh, then it magically disappeared. Error stated: "you have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N56U" (while I did not change/play with/etc the IP settings in any way)... wondering if this was a 1 time thing or if it'll return

Other (some things that haven't been looked at):
- Yet to test USB wireless storage capabilities
- Yet to test dual band utilization (currently on 5 Ghz, but will test when I install my Intel 6300 card (if the adapter ever gets here from Germany :P)
- Yet to test range capabilities (as I only live in a 800 square foot 1 bedroom apt)
- Yet to test wired capabilities (honestly this is the one I hear so much about with this router too)
- Stability (honestly cannot give it a gold star yet, because I simply need more time to push it to its fullest and see how it reacts)

More to come!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2011 8:05:00 PM PDT
Kristian says:
Any recommendations on a good network adapter for desktop to fully utilize the speed of the Asus?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,958 customer reviews)
 (1,112)