4.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you grateful for everything you have!, September 18, 2012
This review is from: Life After Death (Hardcover)
I just would like to start out by saying I own Damien's first book "Almost Home." If you were fortunate enough to read that book, the first half of Life After Death is a condensed version of Almost Home. So I was very familiar with the stories of what happened to Damien growing up. I honestly wish for everyone who is interested in Damien and his life that they would republish Almost Home. His stories of his life before jail go into so much more detail then they do in Life After Death. As I was reading his stories of growing up, you can't help but feel sorry for him. He grew up in the worst possible poverty, and was surrounded by family who should've done a better job caring for him and loving him. Not only did I feel sad for him, but I was sickened by how he was treated and what he had to endure as a kid. And then to think that this was the better part of his life before being arrested. It just makes you so grateful for everything you have in life. And you realize how important your family really are to you.

Into the 2nd half of the book Damien tells some prison stories about the convicts he was housed with, and things that went on while he was incarcerated. I will admit, I was worried Damien might go into graphic detail about the physical pain he endured while in prison. (Having read the letters that would be posted from him on a WM3 website while he was in jail, there was stuff he told that just made you sick to your stomach.) Don't get me wrong, he does explain how frustrating and hard it is to survive, but you're able to get through it and read on.

The book also publishes those letters that I've read through the years on the website while Damien was incarcerated.

If you are a supporter of Damien's and have read everything out there about him on the internet, along with his 1st book, you really won't learn much from this book. That's why I only gave this review 4 stars. I honestly was hoping the book would go into more detail about all the legal stuff he went through while in prison. He does say he let his wife Lorri handle all that stuff. I think a book by Lorri and everything she's been through since meeting Damien would be fascinating.

I'm going to assume that since Almost Home is no longer in print, Damien wanted to make sure all his supporters had the opportunity to learn about his life growing up. With that said, I could not put this book down once I started reading it. Damien has a gift to write, and I thoroughly enjoy what he puts on paper. I recommend eveyrone who has any interest in this case, or who support Damien please read this book.

Also, on a personal level, if you know anyone who thinks their lives are bad, buy them a copy of this book. They will read it and realize that things could be so much worse in life!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2012 1:46:16 PM PDT
S. Henderson says:
I couldn't agree with you more on the fact that there are parts that will make you sick to your stomach. I became physically ill twice while reading this book and had to put it down for a few moments. That being said I think it's important that people know these facts not only as a testament to Damien's strength but to hopefully work towards a change in our "justice" system. It also a huge compliment to the powerfulness of Damien' writing. Not implying you suggested otherwise just adding my thoughts that were sparked by your review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (499 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01