5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Animated Series I Have Ever Seen..., February 4, 2012
This review is from: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Complete Collection One [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
That's right, this series isn't just one of the best Anime I've seen, it is the epitome of Anime in my mind, and one of the best animated television series I have ever experienced. Okay, so I'm a newbie who just finished the series and is on a bit of a high from the experience but I stand by my statements. Due to a series of random events I actually wound up buying the entire series just a few weeks ago and watching it for the first time. I bought the 5 separate Blu-ray releases that are currently available, it cost me substantially more than this set (about $200 total), but I'm still happy I did it, that's how much I love this series. So if you like this series and don't yet own it on DVD/Blu then you have to buy this repackaged Collection 1 set, in my opinion, there is nothing else to it.

This set includes the first 33 episodes of the series. A nice even breaking point that leaves the remaining 34 episodes on the eventual Collection 2.
As far as the episodes, yeah the first thirteen or so are repeated material for anyone familiar with the first series and they feel arguably compacted as such, but any arguments about the series quality disappears by episode 14 and onward where the series departs from the first anime and plays true to the original manga.

I highly recommend this series on Blu-ray over DVD, it's not the best blu-ray picture you will ever see but this is among the most unique and beautiful anime animation I've seen and I wouldn't want to risk missing any detail of it if I didn't have to. Towards the end of the series some of the battles are evocative of the best work of Miyazaki. The streamlined and simplified animation style seems to suddenly break free during some battles and they really do some artistically masterful things that would normally be reserved for feature films.

I realize I'm mostly preaching to the choir for most people who will see this review but I honestly can't recommend this series enough to newer fans of anime who may have not seen it. In fact, I recommend it not only for fans of anime but also for fans of animation in general, fans of adventure, fans of epics, fans of anime, fans of good storytelling. People talk about Harry Potter and James Camerion's Avatar or those types of things as being immersive worlds, well FMA Brotherhood is not only an immersive experience but one with a substantially more well constructed story than those aforementioned stories and a perfectly satisfying ending. Those who have seen the series knew how great it was long before I did, but I've been converted and having now viewed this show, I know it will be a while before I have such a fulfilling and rewarding viewing experience again anytime soon. They just don't tell stories with this attention to detail that often.

With the new more affordable price this set offers, fans who have been holding out will no doubt now see this $60 retail price as much better than an equivalent exchange for all they're getting. If you buy this set then I'd say according to equivalent exchange you'll still owe much more than that.

**I Love the artwork selection, I was sad Al didn't make the cover of the 5 individual series releases.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2012 8:56:52 PM PST
A. Mendez says:
I agree 100% with you on how great Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is. It is my favorite series of all time. I also bought the original 5 releases as they came out. I still own some to the creators of this amazing anime because the $150 I paid WERE WORTH IT.
You might like Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. If you have not seen it already, it is a great series in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 10:15:28 PM PST
Tarra says:
Code Geass is 1 of the best, for some odd reason Amazon doesn't have the 1st season anymore. I think I'm just going to wait and see if a blu ray version is released in the future.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:45:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 6, 2012 4:45:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 8:15:46 PM PST
A. Mendez says:
@Tarra
I doubt a Blu-ray version of Code Geass will be released soon, considering that Bandai won't localize releases for North America anymore. Get the DVD version while you can!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 8:27:14 PM PST
So what's going on with Bandai anime releases? Are all of them going by the wayside?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 1:11:29 PM PST
Tarra says:
Isn't Bandai shutting down, I think I heard that somewhere.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 12:00:41 AM PST
E. Lopez says:
Well bandai isn't shutting down to say. they just won't release any new blu-ray/dvds. they will restock the current one until they expire. Anyways i doubt they will be re-releasing any any when it sells out:-/

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 3:33:53 PM PST
lisa says:
'If you buy this set then I'd say according to equivalent exchange you'll still owe much more than that.' *giggles*

on the other hand, I'd say they owe me since we got most of the original boxes...right before we got a blu-ray. GAH!

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 11:41:31 PM PDT
Ie Naki Ko is the epitome of all anime. You'll never see a better written story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:15:14 PM PDT
Daniel, it was pretty good and I also like Candy Candy and Heidi along with the much newer Cooking Master Boy. However, you're probably replying to newer anime lovers and not the older generation that grew up in the 70's and 80's. I still remember paying $30 for VHS tapes with maybe only one or two episodes on them or getting one that's been copied so many times I couldn't even tell what I was watching. Now, for $40 you can get the entire set or first season on blu ray.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›