1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with quality & markings & accuracy, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Timex 12.25-Inch Rain Gauge with Magnified Dial (TX7003) (Lawn & Patio)
It's cheap... but I was disappointed that the lines measure 1/8 of an inch, not 1/10th line you might expect for a rain gauge. On TV, rainfall is not measured based on 8ths.

Another disappointment is that it looks like the lines are not spaced properly... some are, but others are very awkward. I can't imagine they are as accurate as my last rain gauge. See the photo I uploaded showing this.

As far as the plastic and build quality, I suppose it's decent for the price... which means I suspect it will last 6 months to a year.

Even though this is relatively cheap, I would not buy it again.

If you want a cheap rain gauge, then I recommend the Chaney Instrument 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge

If you want a "real" rain gauge, but still not what I would consider expensive, then I recommend the Stratus RG202 Long Term Professional Rain and Snow Gauge.

UPDATE 2012-03-20: We just had a major rain event in DFW. My old trusted rain gauge measured about 3.70" and this one got 4 1/8" and they are mounted very close to each other in the same place. I don't trust this Timex. Official measurements usually are very close to my old rain gauge (a "Chaney Instrument 5-Inch Capacity Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge") and the same stands true for this rain event, but the 4 1/8" Timex reading seems high. I am reducing my rating to 1 star and will probably get another Chaney.

UPDATE 2012-06-06: I still do not like this rain gauge. If you want to spend more, look into the "Stratus RG202 Long Term Professional Rain and Snow Gauge". Yes, it's significantly more money but it's still not that expensive and is definitely much better.

UPDATE 2012-07-08: I noticed that the clear plastic is quickly turning an ugly foggy yellowish color, probably due to being in direct sun.

[Add comment]