3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely AMAZING for the price!!! Can't Be Beat! UPDATED, November 9, 2012
This review is from: VIZIO M650VSE 65-inch 1080p Razor LED Smart HDTV (Electronics)
UPDATE: Found that this TV has some Banding issues with it ... not horribly but very apparent when viewing certain things like fast action scenes where there is bright solid colored scenes (like sky or say a green football field). This of course has been an ongoing issue with these LCD LED TV's for some time and many are affected by this and unfortunately this one looks to be as well ... I have received a replacement and will see if the new one does it later tonight when I hook it up.

Here is a link to what Banding is for you to be aware of what I am talking about: [...]

3 Stars till if this is an issue. Great TV, awesome picture, but this banding is VERY hard to overlook.

Just got it hooked up tonight and I have been tweaking with it for a few hours now.

FYI when you connect the stand don't lay it on it's screen on something soft like it says in the instructions ... I put down couch cushions and it kinda pushed the screen in and when I first turned it on there was this HUGE white orb about 2 feet wide X about a foot tall .... I freaked out thinking the screen was screwed ... I took a soft shirt and started rubbing the screen and it went away ... I guess with these really thin TV when you put pressure the front film on the screen kinda presses against something behind it that does this i suppose ... just an FYI for you guys with your TV's in route when putting it together.

I had a 70" Sharp Costco model (3D version) a couple months ago and Hated it ... bad picture and the Halo / ghosting effect on certain programs and especially sports (football a lot) was UNBEARABLE ... I took it back within a few days ... I have been on the hunt for something around that size and since this came out for the price I HAD to at least give it a shot.

Not gonna get to deep yet till I do more and give it another day or two but needless to say my MAIN issue with the last tv was the Ghosting / Halo effect around the players and certain things and with this TV that is almost not even there. I see it a little when I have the film mode turned on with the setting all crazy in Vivid mode and the contrast and brightness high ... but at close to optimal setting (all that junk off with better picture setting and tuned somewhat right) I don;t see that halo effect At All !!! That I am VERY happy about and so far and pleased with this set.

The base is a little wobbly for my liking but stable enough (if you have kids maybe strap this securely to wall for added safety) ... the Menu is a little sluggish as well as the apps (have't opened any yet to see how the interface is for netflix, hulu, etc. yet) but I noticed when I set my Universal Remote that the menu moved a lot faster then using the stock remote. I like the keyboard on the back but it will never really get used so it will get stored and I will be using the Universal for everything like always.

The picture look good so far ... still need to tweak it a bit more but good from what I can after an hour or two of messing with it.

The one thing that I am not pleased so far with is the sound ... I know these TV's get bashed for sound but the Sharp I had was WAY better on sound ... the speaker and in the back and basically shoot out the back ... no front firing speaker at all. So I have this on a stand with about a foot and half open from the back of the tv to the wall so no matter what sound setting I have it it sounds hollow and to surround'ish (even though I turned surround off and left it flat and changed the Eq settings). I have a full surround sound set-up but I don't like running that unless I need the major sound for a show or a movie ... when I watch just basic programming I like using the TV's speakers .... these are really bad and I am now looking at some sort of sound bar that I can use and have on at all time for the main speakers for this set (I will put the bar behind the tv facing forward ... maybe that will help). This is one major issue for me since I know need to spend more money on basic sound.

No 3D which many don't care for ... I actually do and wish it had that but I didn't want the 3D version of this TV ... it had the old style look as the one they have had out for like a year now plus I heard the screen is PURE Gloss ... Shows reflections like a plasma .... That is a no go ... I like the matte screen so it cuts down on all of that and I am sure this will do that (been dark since I got it home so not sure how it looks yet, but looked good on reflections in the store).

Menu is pretty basic as far as all the advanced settings you can get into on some of the higher priced tv's ... but just enough to give you the picture you are probably looking for (for the price you won;t get all of those crazy settings).

Another thing I don't like is the 3 HDMI's .... all TV's should have a minimum of 4 ... I know have my Blu-ray that needs to be swapped out with another active device when I need to use it. I will one day be upgrading my Denon receiver with the HDMI pass-throughs so I will really only need one input on the tv.

Well that's about what I know about this TV so far after getting it home a few hours ago... just wanted to report.

I will follow up in the next day or two for more findings as I mess with his bad boy more.

But in closing so far ... for the price of this thing and the size and the things it has, this thing is a Great Deal!!!! I would not hesitate if you are looking at something in this size range for this price (take my word for it stay away from the sharps).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 7:20:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:22:03 AM PST
L. Capo says:
Thanks for all the great info! We just picked this TV up yesterday and are awaiting help getting it out of the SUV but your comments on installing the stand are noted! We will be especially careful with that. Also the info on the speakers and remote will come in handy. We got a couple Vizios as gifts for our grown children two Christmases ago and love the picture whenever we visit with them. We decided to treat ourselves this year. Can't wait to watch! Thanks again for all the helpful comments!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:20:33 AM PST
Did the replacement tv have the same banding issues? We just got ours thru amazon and there is some banding. Probably like yours in that it isnt horrible, but is distracting on a lot of scenes and sports.

Trying to decide if its worth the effort to have a replacement sent. Or maybe we should go with a different brand or type?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:31:32 AM PST
Chris I. says:
Ya the second one I got had the same banding .... Ya it's not bad for just normal stuff but watching sports is rough, especially football as the green filed when the camera pans across the field you can see it a lot! I watch programs like Walking Dead etc. that have the daytime foggy kinda look and that is horrible too.

I am kinda starting to get used to it, but I am still actively looking and might try something different before my 90 day return policy is up.

I created a M650VSE owners thread at AVS and most all the users in that forum experience some sort of banding so it looks like this TV is well known for this issue from what I can gather from all the feedback on the forum.

I LOVE the TV in every way ... Except for the banding ... if it didn't have this then I would feel like I stole this tv for the price and the value you get from it.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 5:44:14 PM PDT
clicky123 says:
First this player is not smart. It has a bunch of Junky old apps(not the word I wanted to use) from yahoo. This TV tries to make you sign up for Yahoo. To use the "apps". they have.

AMAZON INSTANT VIDEO: this is a joke there is no WATCH LIST. It is the libary from the first version of amazon. The amazon video is also small and hard to see.

AMAZON DOES NOT EVEN USE THE LIBRARY ANY MORE!!!!! YET THIS TV IS SAYING HEY WE HAVE ALL NEW STUFF.

NETFLIX 3D DOES NOT WORK on this tv. Netflix has Angelo Rules in 3D. But this tv will not let me see it in 3D.

Most apps are dated except Netflix.

THE APPS ARE SAD 142 NOT HUNDREDS LIKE THEY CLAIM 59 OF THOSE ARE "LOCAL ON DEMAND (JUNK)

ALOT OF YAHOO APPS THAT ARE SAD.

THERE IS NO AMAZON CLOUD SINCE THIS IS NOT SMART YOU CAN NOT ADD IT.

USB. WHAT A JOKE. will only play 3 formats out of all there is in the world. All three are dated NO MP4

SO NOW i HAVE TO use a blueray for the USB and Roku for Amazon. Because this tv does not live up to what it says it can do.

If you did purchase and register online then VIzo offers you 5 year protection for 149,119 4years.

Thanks for the lies VIzo and false advertisement

Glare you will have to turn your TV room into a cave to be able to see the picture during the day.

Would I recommend this NO to many lies.

There are not hundreds of apps. It is not smart it is not fast. The USB is a joke. Amazon is old version and hard to see.
The 3d in Netflix does not work.
Could not find or use the "full screen apps window"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (62 customer reviews)

Out of stock