3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but low output voltage, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio Devices (Personal Computers)
Setup time from unpacking the box to listing to the music on my iPhone was about five minutes. The Bluetooth connection has proven to be robust and clear.

I have discovered (the hard way) one problem: the output voltage from this adapter is 12dB lower than my other peripherals. That means that I have to turn my surround-sound receiver's volume control up quite high to reach a listening level comparable to, say, my CD player or my docked iPhone. This creates a trap: after listing to my iPhone via the Bluetooth adapter I have to remember to turn down the volume on my surround-sound receiver before switching to another input. Failure to do so risks blowing a speaker, especially if you like to listen you music LOUD.

The nominal output level is not given on the spec sheet, so I intend to all Logitech to make certain I don't have a defective unit.

I've given the unit 3 stars; if I simply have a defective unit, I'll up it to 5 stars and I'll post back here.

Note 8July2012: Logitech wasn't interested in helping.

Joe

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2012 11:01:16 AM PST
Brew says:
Thanks for warning us about the lower sound output levels. Some folks can compensate using adjustable input levels on their home stereo. My regular stereo doesn't have that feature. If you use your stereo with a universal remote which supports "macros" (like the HArmony Remote, etc) then you can tell it to lower/raise the volume when changing inputs.

If you're bored, you could open this up and look... perhaps there's a potentiometer to adjust output levels (or maybe your other devices will let you normalize their outputs to match this)?

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:49:58 PM PDT
NextGen says:
Yeah I just bought the thing and this is the first think i noticed about the thing. I cant think of anything more annoying than having to turn up my audio system so loud because the output of this device is so low. If i can still return it i just might do so. It sounds great but i cant stand how quiet the thing is.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:35:32 AM PDT
S. Ferguson says:
I have it connected to my stereo and I'm using my laptop to send the signal. I simply keep the volume on the laptop volume set to 100% and set the volume from the stereo receiver and am not experiencing this issue at all. For me the key is to make sure that I'm sending the "hottest" signal I can from whatever device I'm pairing to the unit. Hope this helps.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 6:41:13 AM PDT
Dee says:
I noticed the same thing right away. But fortunately my receiver is pretty clean so I don't get any hiss or background noise when I have things turned way up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 10:29:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 10:55:55 AM PST
Manu84 says:
Mine distorts drums, it's super odd, all music sounds clear but the drums get a hiss distortion, snare and cymbals particularly. Could it be that my unit is defective?

Sorry my bad, it's my bluetooth adapter on the laptop that does it, it's low quality, my galaxy s3 works flawlessly. Disregard my previous comment.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 4:43:28 PM PDT
BonesighNYC says:
Joe, I have exactly the same issue with the unit I received last week.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 7:13:42 AM PDT
i would have to agree this is a terrable wast of time an money. i have 2 stereo's an it has very low volume on both. it won't has no sound quality on the one with the woofer i would not recomind this unit to any one

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 11:43:35 AM PDT
RC says:
Have you tried any that have a higher output voltage?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 2:05:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2013 2:12:20 PM PDT
Joe Campbell says:
Nope. In fact this problem became such a PITA that I removed the Logitech device and replaced it with a $20 Radio Shack dongle that works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2013 5:17:43 PM PDT