3.0 out of 5 stars Barely adequate, May 24, 2012
This review is from: Wolverine F2D14 14 MP 35mm Slides and Negatives to Digital Image Converter (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
OK. I've used this scanner for a week now and have scanned in over 2500 slides. Here's my take:

Pros:

I obtained this scanner because it had one good feature. It is stand-alone. I could scan slides on the kitchen table if desired so you are not tied to a computer and do not have to install any software. The LCD screen is adequate. The EV feature is nice and seems to work OK as does the automatic exposure. The 14 MP was another reason for obtaining this unit. Cropping and zooming gave acceptable results. The scanner does do some cropping of its own, so be aware.
The slide tray seemed flimsy but held together for the entire 2500 scans. The manual said do not reverse tray movement but I found you could reverse somewhat to center a photograph due to the sloppy detent. The scanner has another plus, it will load all the scans to a memory card. It happened to be the same card my digital camera uses and the scanner made its own directory so this allowed me to load hundreds of scans before uploading. The scan time is fairly fast, about 2 seconds, much faster than the 5 seconds specified.

Cons:

The slide tray and scanner detent leave much to be desired. The slots for slides are cut to exactly the nominal specification for slides. Trouble is, not all slide manufacturers followed this precision. Some of my slides were too big and had to be shaved down to fit. The slide tray, when inserted into the scanner, slops around negating the precision required to place the slide! If photographs have a horizon you have to be careful it is not tilted. I could scan only about 100 slides per session because my fingers got sore snapping each slide into place.

The top buttons did not always work correctly and slowed things down. Sometimes when pressing "flip" it went to "EV" instead.

When using negatives the pictures came out very light when shown on the screen, so I EV'd them down. When copied to the computer they were very dark. I had to re-scan with the EV at 0.0 and let the seemingly too light pictures scan as they may. Then they came out all right on the computer. The negative holder sprocket pins were off registration to the holes in the negative strips losing portions of the picture. No amount of manipulation would place the negative pictures between the bars of the negative holder. It was either one side or the other. Reversing the negative did not help.

I would like to give this unit more stars, but in good conscience, I cannot.

Update: Two weeks later. I finally figured out a way to register the negatives so that problem went away. However, it does not affect my overall review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 12:24:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 12:27:11 AM PDT
Oliver says:
A lot of my slides I framed myself in reusable plastic frames, which I've found to be fatter than the paper ones that developers supply when you order your slides framed. Will I be able to use the device at all on these slides? I don't see the plastic frames as trimmable, and although I can remove the slide film from the frames, this would leave me with 35mm chits of film, which I can't see the tray as having any way to deal with. Or could it somehow?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 3:45:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 3:51:43 PM PDT
W. Dart says:
I doubt it. The slide tray is very finicky. The fat frames will not let the slide tray close properly. Even though it would be a pain, you could then scan the "chits" with the negative tray. Slow, tedious but it could be done.

HTH

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 5:06:14 PM PDT
Oliver says:
Mmrmm...Not my wildest fantasy. I'll have to contemplate my options awhile further. Thanks for the consult.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 10:08:18 AM PDT
I am considering purchasing this scanner. I also have about 4 others I'm looking at with various prices. I also have about 2500/3000 slides to scan in. At least my deadline is Christmas. Have you purchased any other scanners since? If so how do they compare? In today's economy I'm looking for the best quality for my money. This one also ranked #1 for scanner accessories. The others I am looking at have ranked 50 or higher. The price is nice, but is the quality worth it?

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 10:42:56 AM PDT
You said, "Two weeks later. I finally figured out a way to register the negatives so that problem went away."

What was it?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 10:15:49 AM PDT
John Brooks says:
You need to put the negatives in the right way (emulsion side down). If you put them in emulsion side up, they won't center in the windows correctly, and your pictures will be mirror reversed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 3:47:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 3:52:59 PM PDT
W. Dart says:
Sorry for the delay. If it still applies, the scanner was adequate for my use. I did not look at or purchase any other scanner. It really didn't have any quality problems, just design issues.

HTH

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2013 3:53:43 PM PDT
W. Dart says:
Could be. I don't remember what the solution was. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›