4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Bought In Years, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) (Personal Computers)
I had pretty much come to the conclusion that you couldn't buy a DVD/CD burner anymore that lasted more than a few hundred burns before it burned itself out. I've bought LG, Samsung, Sony, HP, and a few others and they would all start having problems after burning 300-400 discs.

I've had this drive for several months now and have burned about 800 CD and DVDs and it is still going strong. None of the problems I've had with other drives not reading a certain format of disc or a certain disc type, while it would still read others.

A few of the other drives I've had, got where they would only burn CDs and wouldn't burn DVDs. Others would do just the opposite. This drive will still burn any kind of disc and any format with no problems. It might die tomorrow but this is the best drive I've bought in years.

The only down side to this drive and the reason I only gave it 4 stars, is that it has something built into the firmware that does not allow a CD or DVD encryption breaking program to run. If you have it installed and try to use the drive it locks up your computer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2011 8:28:14 AM PDT
Maine says:
did you have to wait 1-3 months for shipping? thats what advertised now

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 7:10:55 PM PDT
dclk says:
No. It did say something similar when I ordered it. When I ordered, the message was that the item was out of stock and would be shipped IF it was ever restocked and that I would not be billed until the item shipped. I only paid $17.99 for it and it ended up shipping from Amazon in less than a week. By the way, it is still going and I've burned about another 100 discs with it since writing the review. Even if there is a wait, it is well worth the wait in my opinion if you do a lot of disc burning and are tired of buying a new drive every 6 months.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 12:29:22 PM PDT
A. Taylor says:
What kind of DVD Decryption program are you using? I have DVDFab and I use it to make backup copies of all the DVD movies I buy. With this functionality disabled, the drive is useless to me.

Thanks for the heads up. I almost purchased this before reading the reviews.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 4:27:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 4:29:54 PM PDT
dclk says:
I was trying to use DVD43. I tried everything imaginable to make it work. No matter what I tried, it locked up the computer every time. Sometimes it would lock up while the computer was loading the desktop, sometimes it would wait until I tried to use the drive. But until I removed DVD43 from my computer it was a nightmare.

It does work perfectly with DVD Decrypter. But DVD Decrypter requires that you save the DVD files to your hard drive before you can copy it. It is the programs that defeat the encryption from the disc on the fly that cause the trouble.

By the way, I burned another 60 DVDs with this thing over the weekend and it is still working perfectly. It is truly a well made burner.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 2:25:24 PM PDT
N. Gaultney says:
That's strange that you're having problems with DVD ripping. I've used DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and AnyDVD completely successfully. AnyDVD decrypts on the fly.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 6:25:10 AM PDT
dclk says:
Interesting. I have not tried AnyDVD.

I just went to look into it, and they want nearly $300 for their software package! WOW!!! I think I'm going to stick with using DVD Decrypter. On the fly was nice, but I don't think it was $300 worth of nice. Good to know it works though. Thank you for the info.

By the way, for anyone who cares, I burned another 120 CDs with this drive over the weekend and it is still working perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 6:58:40 AM PDT
sjmilone says:
Hmmm, I can't find the ~$300 version, but here's a Blu-Ray version for $50: http://www.any-dvd-cloner.com/any-blu-ray-ripper-platinum.html I've had no problems at all with the "Any DVD Platinum" version all winter/spring/summer long. Thanks for the product review on the drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 10:59:19 AM PST
Pete Heller says:
just curious: what the heck do you do with all those CDs you're creating?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 6:52:07 PM PST
A. Taylor says:
If he's anything like me, he makes a backup copy of every DVD movie he owns.

I own a computer repair business, and I also do a small amount of photography. Most customers like me to burn all their images from the photoshoot onto disk. I then print a nice, fancy label right onto the disk, and they can then take the disk to a photo store and order their own images.
For the computer business, I have every single operating system you can imagine burned onto disk. Some customers also prefer me to backup their information onto a set of DVD's for safekeeping.

So while I don't crank out as many disks as he does, I can certainly understand where all those disks go. And if this Asus DVD burner can handle all those disks, then I'll take that as a sign that this is the drive for me (although I'm still researching the DVD decryption issue DCLK mentioned in his review)

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 8:03:14 AM PST
dclk says:
Pete, I actually burn a lot more DVDs than CDs. Matter of fact I just burned another 80 yesterday. This is really an awesome burner as far as reliability goes! The next time the price goes back down under $19, I'm buying another one to put in the closet just in case this one ever does die.

A. Taylor, Yes I do backup ALL my discs. In my younger days I bought and recorded 1000s and 1000s of VHS tapes. I'll never have the time to get them all converted to DVD, but it is fun trying. LOL I also own my own business and discs are much easier than paper and catalogs, in every aspect.

To help your research of the encryption thing. I do not have any native SATA ports on my computer. I run this drive from a PCI serial ATA SATA card. That may have something to do with it. May not. I have also recently discovered that I can not boot to the drive from the BIOS at startup. It could be that for some reason DVD43 cannot correctly access the drive at startup. Not sure, but I really do miss my DVD43.

I did download and install the trials of AnyDVD and DVD Fab. They did not conflict with the drive at all. BUT, and I really mean BUT. Neither of those work on their own, in real time like DVD43 did. I also installed the latest version of DVD43 and it did NOT conflict with the drive at all. BUT the newer versions of DVD43 also do not work like the old version 1 of the program. Version 1 of DVD43 instantly and completely eliminated the effectiveness of any kind of copy encryption on the disc. It did it automatically and in the background without any input from me at all. None of these others do that. I am just sticking with DVD Decrypter which does work fine, and best of all it was free.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›