5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the same as the white controller, December 13, 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller - Glossy Black (Video Game)
I bought this black wireless controller so I could have another wireless controller. Be advised when reading reviews on this product that it appears some people are reviewing the Xbox 360 Silver Controller and Play & Charge Kit, which is a special controller that is different (and more expensive as of this writing) than the black controller I am reviewing. This controller does NOT have any chrome items on it (other than the usual Xbox Guide button), nor does it have any upgrades to the D-pad.

As far as the controller itself, I didn't notice any structural difference between this controller and my old white controller that came with my Pro 20GB Xbox 360 several years ago. I did notice, however, that this controller properly charges my Play & Charge Kit where my old one did not. Prior to buying this controller, my Play & Charge kit would always show the red light while recharging. Since the recharging appeared to work anyway, I didn't think much of it (especially after calling Microsoft and being informed that the warranty on accessories is only 90 days, though that was in 2008). Since I assumed that the battery was at fault the whole time, I was surprised to find out that this controller charged the battery and (correctly) showed a green light when charging was complete.

Though it did not appear to be a structural change to the controller, I had somewhat forgotten (or not realized?) how much wear my controller has taken over the four years (give or take) since I got my console. The new controller gives me a bit more precision in games, especially with the right stick and the pushing of the sticks (for activities like sprinting). The tactility of the sticks (with little raised lines for grip) were a nice reminder of what my controller seemed to have at one time.

This was a satisfying purchase for functionality and the nice sleek look of black. I should also note that while the description of the item is "Glossy Black," this controller isn't really what I would call glossy like you would call the bezel of an LCD monitor or clear coat on a car. It gives off very little gloss in my opinion, which is fine by me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2011 4:58:23 PM PDT
Bob NJ says:
Hey! Good review!

Just realized why they call it Glossy instead of Matte. The part on the inside curve of the part below the right analog and d pad is glossy. In the past it was grey and matte.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 1:35:05 AM PDT
TARTOOT says:
Thank you for the review E.K. Rare to find one that actually helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 5:07:36 AM PDT
E. K. says:
Very glad to help, J! Thanks for the comment.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:58:47 AM PST

Posted on May 22, 2012 9:16:34 PM PDT
R. Ellsworth says:
nice thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:10:10 PM PDT
E. K. says:
Thanks for the comment, R. Ellsworth!

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 1:00:46 PM PDT
J. Badessa says:
Does this item come with a wireless dongle? If it doesn't, I'll buy the one for Windows which shows the dongle in the picture. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 1:38:50 PM PDT
E. K. says:
It does not come with a wireless dongle, as the Xbox 360 has the necessary gear internally. You will need to do as you suggest and get the "for Windows" one if you want the dongle for PC use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 1:39:31 PM PDT
J. Badessa says:
Great info. Thank you so much for the extremely quick response!

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 2:25:09 PM PST
Don Gardnier says:
My Son got an X box for his Bday and I need to buy two new wireless controllers. I was looking at this one for him and I want to get one that also has lighted buttons (I am blind as a bat). I am looking to get lighted ones. Here is my questions.

1. Do all of these controllers come with the rechargeable batteries??? The specs say they come with AA but these would not be rechargeable.
2. If they don't come with rechargeable batteries, can you point me to a good one that does (one camo and one with lighted buttons)
3. There seems to be at lease one and maybe two wires here at the house that he uses to charge the batteries for his current controllers. Is there 4 connections on the units for these wires that will allow 4 controllers to charge at the same time...and if so should I be getting controllers that also have the charging cable.

Any other info that you might have that I would need in making a good decision and ensuring a great Christmas for my son.

Thanks in advance.