Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars More like 2.5 stars, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Deception (International Romance Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was an okay read. There were some things that just didn't seem realistic to me though.

Spoilers:
1) Justine used to be a model and a friend asks her to participate in this auction for charity where the highest bidder will get to take her to dinner. She decides to alter her looks so she won't be recognized so she dyes her hair red and gets green contacts. That's all she does to look different. But for some strange reason, the next time Alex sees her in her natural state, he doesn't recognize her at all. This was after a whole night of them talking over dinner. I find it a little farfetched that he wouldn't at least recognize her voice the next day - even if her hair is now blond and her eyes are brown.
2) Justine immediately falls in love with Alex after their first night in which she's in the role of "Jasmine" and to be honest, I didn't really see how she could fall for him so fast. He was a little bland and with the way he spoke, I honestly thought he was in his 40's, not his 20's. When she finds out that Alex is the CEO of the pharmaceutical company that made the drug that killed her mother, she's devastated and vows to never seem him again. And then the next day she sees him at a party and starts pining for him again. This was after 2 days of knowing him.
3) They spend a few weeks in close contact with each other while Justine works as Alex's secretary for a business deal and he STILL doesn't know she's really "Jasmine" his auction girl. Also, after they do the deed the first time, he has to go to the hospital because his wife who's in a coma (yes, he's married!) has gotten worse. He rushes to her side and she ends up dying. He doesn't contact Justine for an ENTIRE MONTH after this because he has to cope with his angry feelings towards his wife and her subsequent death (they didn't have a good marriage). This is understandable but what I couldn't accept was that he didn't at least call Justine to let her know where his head was at so she didn't think he used her for sex.
4) To make matters worse, she's the one who has to travel to see him and of course she's been pining for him this entire time while he just wallows around his estate, doing nothing. Does he apologize for not contacting her that whole time? Of course not. They immediately jump into bed and he confesses his undying love for her. Sorry not buying it. The hero and heroine's behavior and actions just didn't ring true to me.

On a positive note, I did like reading about their travels around the world and Alex's charity work with his company to improve the well-being of impoverished people in Africa.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2012 9:21:13 AM PST
Norah says:
This person is clearly not a lover of Romance novels. I believe that Romance novels are all about escapism or fantasy and that believability is 'way down the list of things that are looked for by those who truly enjoy these types of stories. I also don't appreciate any review that gives away the whole story before I get a chance to read it and judge for myself.

Posted on May 22, 2012 12:34:56 AM PDT
dragonfly says:
Thank you for your comment....spoilers and all. I gave read several books where there are spoilers, sometimes I agree sometimes I don't. I am a big Mona Ingram fan and will probably still read the book, though inevitability will probably agree with your opinion...lol. I live reading romances...always have but sometimes you just want more and you want believable I feel it inspires us in our own lives and relationships. I have written a few spoilers myself. Sometimes it cant be helped, the book is so amazing you cant help but share or sometimes it really is that awful and you want to soars some other reader from losing that time they woukd gave spent reading and never get back....so thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 12:38:10 AM PDT
dragonfly says:
I am a lover of romance novels and am sorry to break it to you but sometimes there is such a thing as a bad romance. Its true it happens to the best of them. Diana Palmer is one of my favs and yes even she has written a few that are not up to par.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:32:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:32:58 AM PST
Booklady says:
I agree dragonfly - escapism is great but there are times when it just doesn't work and becomes stupid people time. I like spoilers because having too many books on my ereaders and cloud storage to admit to I hate giving space to something I won't like. I would have given a pass to the not recognizing her (altho would have labeled them both too stupid to live) and frankly would probably have not minded him being a bit bland but ignoring her for a month because he had to deal with anger issues from a comatose then dead wife he was unhappy with to begin with and then it's up to her to go to him - NO thanks, reading it that far for that kind of non payoff would have made me want to toss my cookies and the ereader which is a bad thing!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 1:07:19 PM PST
Leiah says:
Being a lover of "Romance" novels doesn't mean you have to give up all signs of intelligence. Escapism, sure. Having the "heroine" be totally, irrepressibly stupid? Yuck.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 7:22:50 AM PST
Maxine says:
I just finished Deception and I must tell you that this review is not really accurate. She did not work as his secretary. He asked her to accompany him on a business trip to Paris because she had a special talent of remembering conversations verbatim and he thought that would be helpful during a business dinner. To be fair, he told her he was married during their first dinner but that his wife asked for a divorce before her accident which put her in a coma. This might seem like I am nitpicking but it really bugs me when I read reviews that insist on spoilers but they give incorrect details about the book.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 8:29:11 AM PDT
BonniePearl says:
Does the author use vulgarity?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 1:27:28 PM PDT
B. Stewart says:
Um, she DID alert everyone to the "SPOILERS"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 1:38:22 PM PDT
BonniePearl says:
I read "graphic sexual content" which is not the same as using vulgar words. However, I have chosen not to read. Thanks to everyone who posted.

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 5:55:22 PM PDT
Roxie says:
thanks for the review, I don't want to spend time reading a stupid romance. I like strong heroine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›