5.0 out of 5 stars Flea and Tick Free, July 8, 2008
This review is from: Merial Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Control for 45 to 88-Pound Dogs, 6 Applicators (Misc.)
My dog is a Chow mix and very furry. Ticks are impossible to find under her two layered coat until it's too late. At first, I tried cheaper brands. They work on ticks but do nothing for fleas. Then my vet recommended Frontline. I later tried K9 Advantix since they claim to also kill mosquitos, but I didn't notice any difference with the little bloodsuckers. And the protection from K9 Advantix didn't seem to last as long so I switched back to Frontline.

Frontline works great for us. My dog is an outdoor dog and our county reportedly has more deer than people. And with deer come deer ticks. I've seen deer in my back yard and my dog's house is very near the woods for shade. And she likes to take the occasional jaunt through the woods. Still I rarely find a tick on her. And when I do, they're usually dead (or soon will be).

I wish I'd known Amazon was selling Frontline for a better price sooner. I've been purchasing only 3 months worth for about $50 from another site for the last 2 years. Very frustrating since before you know it, you're out. With 6 months worth I only have to remember 2 times a year instead of 4.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2011 8:57:27 AM PDT
I too have found that Frontline Plus is the best brand. Drs. Foster and Smith (online company) sell a three month supply for less ($33.00 for small dogs up to $38.99 for very large dogs). Frontline is a bit less.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 7:35:58 AM PDT
Rhea D. says:
Do some research, deer ticks do not just "come with deer". "The larvae feed in late summer (near ground level) on mice, shrews, chipmunks, voles, and other small animals. Newly hatched deer ticks do not initially carry Lyme disease; they pick it up from an infected animal. The white-footed mouse is the primary carrier/source of the Lyme disease bacterium. A tick that picks up the bacterium from feeding will pass it to the next life stage and is able to infect future host animals. Nymphs feed from May through August on larger animals including birds, raccoons, opossum, squirrels, cats, dogs and human beings."

Ergo people who have squirrels or birds in their yards should be just as en garde for deer ticks as you are, even if they don't see any deer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2012 8:54:45 AM PDT
K. Hill says:
Sue, thanks for the information. I would like to point out that I was being light hearted in my statement that they "come with deer." I didn't mention Lyme disease or offer any incorrect information about its origins. I understand if your point is that everyone should protect their pets from fleas and ticks, but your comments came out sounding abrasive.

Additionally, I'd like to make note of the fact that I did this review FOUR years ago. Unfortunately, our beloved Sasha passed away last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:49:05 PM PST
B. Weeks says:
I'm so sorry to hear that your baby girl Sasha passed away!! I'm not sure why Rhea decided to come in with such a harsh manner, when you were just reviewing a product, you aren't a vet telling people deer ticks come from deer...you (quite obviously) were being light hearted about your dog and how she likes to go in the woods!! Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, K. Hill!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 1:30:20 PM PST
Thank you B. Weeks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 1:10:28 PM PDT
K. SMITH says:
K Hill, please don't let that negative sounding post bother you. I have noticed when you read comments, there's always 1 or 2 people that pop in just to chastise the reviewer...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 4:23:22 PM PDT
K. Hill says:
Thank you, K. Smith. I try to recall that some times things sound harsher in text when you can't hear the tone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

K. Hill
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Windsor, NC USA