4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, even if it is short (review of NDS version), June 29, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Brave - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
OK, I'm a grown-up. Probably not the right demographic for this game, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The main complaint in other reviews seems to be that it's short. Well, I didn't pay list price, and feel like I definitely got good value for the $ spent.

I haven't seen the movie, so the whole story was new to me. There's a bit of a lesson, as is commonly the case in Disney/Pixar products. The heroine is extremely capable and meets & conquers challenges.

There are some puzzles/mini-games--all pretty easy (slider puzzles, Simon-type mini-games, pipe connecting puzzles).

There are loads of enemies to defeat, but the heroine has skills, weapons and armor that make those battles readily winnable. There are 7 levels each of armor, bow and sword. The upgraded versions are discovered in yellow-trimmed treasure chests that are scattered thru the levels.

Golden orbs and health-restoring potions are found in red-trimmed treasure chests and after defeating enemies. Collect the orbs to buy upgrades for skills. Upgrades are available between levels.

Levels are short, so save points are not an issue. If you do quit the game in mid-level, you start from the beginning of that level.

No regrets on my purchase...enjoyed it! Now, if I could just figure out how to open the gate in the cave to get me to the last yellow-trimmed treasure chest (seems to have a sword upgrade in it) in the Coastal Cliffs level. Argh!!! Where's a smart 5-year-old when I need one?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2013 4:23:22 PM PDT
HOV600R says:
I'm trying to figure out the last treasure chest too. If you get it, please update this review!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 4:47:28 PM PDT
Puzzler says:
I don't have the game anymore, but I don't think I ever did get that treasure chest. Maybe someone else here will come up with the solution. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2013 5:58:01 AM PDT
HOV600R says:
I figured it out. You stand on the pressure plate, dodge a few boulders until the gate fully opens. Then run/DODGE towards the gate twice. Done.

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 9:59:40 AM PST
unknown says:
Puzzler, the reason for my comment to you is that I don't see a problem with you being a "grown-up" playing this game. We need more people like you, adult gamers to review any and all games. When a game like this comes out and there are really no reviews for it, it's hard to go by a grandmother's or mother's review of them saying something like "I bought this for my grandchild or daughter and she loves it", this type of review is not going to give me any help in making a decision in buying the game or not. "My child loves it" doesn't say anything. A kid is going to say they love a bad game just to spare their mother's or grandmother's feelings for buying a stupid game. So, thank you for your review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (65 customer reviews)

$19.99 $13.99