5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT!, September 15, 2012
This review is from: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Trigger for External Speelights with 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (NPT-04+extra receiver) (Electronics)
I've been using this on my Canon 5DMKII for a couple months now. I've had zero problems with this unit.

Recycle time: It works every time I press the shutter. Meaning no misfires. So far.
NOTE: Of course the recycle speed of your flash is going to be a factor in that. If your flash recycles fast then you can shoot fast. It keeps up if your flash can. If you try it on continuous and it skips a beat, it is most likely telling your flash to fire, the flash just isn't keeping up is all.

Ease of use: It doesn't get any simpler.
1)Insert batteries into receiver(s)
2)Attach transmitter to camera
3)Attach receiver(s) to flash(es)
4)Turn on receiver(s)
5)Make sure all units are on the same channel (1&1 1&2 2&1 or 2&2)
6)Play

Distance: I can't say how far they'll go through walls. Walls vary. But out in the open I get approximately a good 135ft (41meters). They say it's only 30 meters, which is about 98ft. So expect a little more than what they say :)

Build: Well, it's cheap plastic. It's been through some bumps and what-not. I can be pretty abusive to my equipment. Yet I try to be nice to it considering it's just cheap plastic. But sometimes things happen. So far so good.

Batteries: Receivers: AAA's. Does NOT come with. Just in case you were assuming it would. 2 per receiver (4 total). Transmitter has a built in battery. Which I found to be a little odd. It is easily accessed via the SMALL phillips screw on the bottom. 23A 12V. Radio Shack will have it if needed.

Notes for proper use:

1) MAKE SURE the batteries are installed in the receivers properly. Simple things can make you frustrated when your brand new product doesn't work. I've seen many comments on this not working so they returned it, without saying they tried messing with the battery positions. Just give it a chance.

2) REMEMBER: It is still a cheap product. But give it a chance. Problem solve it if it isn't working straight out of the box.

3) DO NOT FORGET: the battery in the TRANSMITTER is replaceable. If it doesn't transmit (the little red light will light up if it does) then go ahead and replace that battery. If after that it doesn't work, THEN send it back for a replacement. Trust me on this. It's a GREAT product!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2012 5:15:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 5:18:09 PM PST
Thanks a gazillion, "5DMKII", for your very explicit warning/instruction about this product! Based on your review, I decided to chance it.

Sure enough, out of the box the transmitter was non-operational (even though the pilot light would shine when triggered). I pulled the battery. (God, there has GOT to be a simpler way to replace this 23A than completely disassembling the blooming transmitter! No? No?!! I assume that little length of unattached black wire sitting in there is the antenna.). When I tested the OEM battery, it looked to be on the low end of OK.

But I replaced it with a fresh 23A and tested the transmitter (by pressing the little button switch on the teeny-tiny circuit board before I even closed up the case). Bingo! Works like a charm now. So out comes the battery, closed up the case, and hope to make use of this set in a fairly complicated photo shoot later this month. (BTW, polarity marks appear to be missing, and I hadn't noticed orientation when removing the OEM battery. Since it worked, the negative pole of the little battery goes to the spring-loaded end of the battery holder. Your results may vary.)

So, .... I'll be carrying a fresh battery or two, and a #0 phillips head screwdriver -- and be praying I don't drop the screw on the floor when placing/replacing the 23As. OK, maybe I'll also carry a small magnet so I can hopefully retrieve the screw. Sigh!

Sir, in your experience, about how long does the 23A battery last in use? And I assume the 2 AAs in the receivers are a bit longer-lived? Thanks again for your thorough review!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:17:31 AM PST
I'm glad to see you took the time to trouble shoot! I'm still running on my first 23A. But I've run through AAA's like crazy simply because I have the bad habit of leaving the receivers on. Always keep a backup of enough AAA's for all your receivers. That's what I end up doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:31:10 PM PST
Ah, so I don't need to pull out the 23A if I'm going to be shooting in the next two weeks. Thanks for that insight! It's such a pain to do. I agreed to pro-bono shoot an in-law's wedding later this month. I know, call me crazy. So I want to do a bit of practice. I'll install the 23A and leave it in. I will carry a spare. Again, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:05:30 PM PST
Pro-bono is the best way to start! Remember that you need to take control so you can get the shots you want. That was the first thing I learned when I started shooting weddings. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:08:08 PM PST
And I believe the reason why the transmitter lasts longer is because it only transmits when told to. The receivers are constantly looking to receive a signal. That's why they have an on/off switch and the transmitter doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:00:10 PM PST
That absolutely makes sense. Thanks again for your help!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›