2.0 out of 5 stars Not for young viewers at all, September 17, 2011
This review is from: Our Friend Martin [VHS] (VHS Tape)
My school uses this as part of the curriculum for the first graders. I am referencing 6 year olds in my review here. I am at a loss as to why my children, at the age of 6, need to learn about bigotry and hate and riots and firebombing. To a child, they all come out of viewing the video noticing one another's skin color. For the first time, by and large. My children are mixed race, and they have come home terrified that their father will be assassinated and wondering why their white mommy hates their black daddy. All they remember is that MLK Jr get's his head blown off by a white man.

Teach my children how to spell, play dodgeball and basic math skills. Leave it to me to determine when they are old enough to learn that there are people who will judge them based upon the most superficial things, and that prior to 40 years ago, it was legal to do so. They have a lifetime to learn about hatred and such a short time to enjoy being a child. Head shaking.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2012 11:21:36 AM PST
book lover says:
Thank you for an accurate assessment of this very misguided video. It absolutely horrifies me to learn that educators deem it worthy of being shown in an educational setting.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:37 PM PST
A. Talib says:
This is a great video but not for 1st graders. I show it to my 4th graders but not before a lot of prep. Kids do notice skin color and face prejudice and racism at an early age but I do think that 6 year olds are too young for this movie.

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 3:23:03 PM PDT
elizabeth says:
You're absolutely right Cookie2. Give them a chance to be children - that should be every child's birthright.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:18:07 AM PST
ALK says:
I agree. I sat next to my 7-yr.-old and watched this with lots of pauses and explanations. Several times I checked with her to make sure she wasn't afraid, remembering how I felt watching documentaries re the Civil Rights Movement and the KKK as a child. The last thing I would want is for a well-meaning teacher to show this to her in a setting where she's a minority (I'm AA, my husband is Caucasian), and have a class discussion that makes my precious girl feel suddenly self-conscious about her skin color, and isolated. I thought the movie was well made, and it's a subject close to my heart, but I feel that you and I have our children's emotional best interest in mind in a way that too many socially conscious people don't. It's not enough to just educate about Civil Rights. We have to have empathy for the tender hearts of children who are learning, not only about the issue, but about how they, themselves would have been hated and discriminated against.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 5:01:46 PM PST
E Johnson says:
Did anybody every stop to think about what children of "that day" felt? Do we consider that children actually went through that themselves? Now we're afraid of warping young minds. Seriously???

My family and I loved this movie and my children watched intently and one of my children is autistic. It's an excellent view of what happened during the history of civil rights. However, that's the point of history. It shows how ugly we behaved at one time.

BTW, we had to learn this when we were in school and we were also watching Roots as well at the same "tender" age.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (75 customer reviews)

$14.81