3.0 out of 5 stars COLOR me impressed, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Canon SELPHY CP800 Black Compact Photo Printer (4350B001) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Right off the bat, no printer cable. That still irks me. I know, no printer comes with them, but why not?

Setting up the printer was easy - plug it in, install the software and you're off. I choose to print my photos directly from my PC instead of a SD card (since that's where all my photos were). The SELPHY Photo Print software is really easy to use. The startup kit only allows for five photos, so I chose wisely. It takes about 40 seconds to print a full color photo. The photo quality is pretty amazing! I was very impressed. I've been printing with inkjet printers for over 10 years and if you haven't used the printer in awhile, there's always some ink waste in getting the photo to turn out right. Plus, you always need to calibrate and clean your print heads. None of what will be necessary with this machine.

The unit is small and attractive. The giant white power adapter is not! And why a white power adapter for a black unit? I couldn't believe the size of the AC adapter for this thing! Kinda kills the whole small and portable thing, but there is a battery pack available for this unit.

The process in which this printer prints pictures is very cool and I hadn't seen anything like it before. It transfers via thermal film and puts down the yellow (Y), the magenta (M), the cyan (C), and then the black (B). So the photo paper makes four passes through the printer. When it makes the first pass, you see a yellow photo, then a yellow+magenta photo, etc. It's kinda cool to watch. Once your "cartridge" is used, you throw it out, something I wasn't keen on. From what I can tell, these are not recyclable and that's not a good thing. Canon is usually pretty green, so I can only hope some sort of recycling will exist for these bulky plastic cartridges. There's likely something on their website (I hope). The cartridges seem very wasteful and the 108 photo/cartridge pack means you'll be throwing THREE cartridges away when you're done.

Though there is a cute little credit-card sized photo option, it requires a separate tray and obviously, smaller paper. It seems like they could have combined the (only) two paper sizes in the same cartridge with a lever or something. But, each paper size requires a different cartridge. I have not been ablebto find the smaller credit-card sized paper/paper tray/cartridge anywhere else besides Canon's site. That's frustrating. I'd love to make tiny photos!

Overall, I like it, though it seems a little wasteful and costly. Cost per print for the 108 photo pack is about 27 cents/image right now. Not too bad.

PROS:
* Small printer, small footprint
* Excellent photo quality
* Software is easy to use, if even a little *too* simplistic
* One photo in about 40 seconds
* Variety of connection methods (USB, SD card, memory stick, cell phone [with bluetooth add-on $50])
* Heat transfer is nicer to deal with than messy ink tanks
* No print calibration or alignment needed
* No messy ink or waiting for photo to "dry"

CONS:
* Wasteful cartridges - a very specialty item that cannot be reused or refilled
* Giant AC adapter
* Each paper size requires its own cartridge AND paper tray
* Can only print two different sizes of photos - not an all-purpose device
* Expensive add-ons (Battery $80, Bluetooth Adapter $50)
* Credit-card sized paper, tray and cartridge are hard to find and expensive

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2010 12:01:27 AM PST
Samuel A says:
I have a number of questions regarding this review (or perhaps they are answers to your questions, depending on the context). I mean no disrespect and I apologize in advance if the points sound "tough".

1. There is no need for a printer cable as this is intended as a portable printer, not a desktop printer, and the built-in card slots don't need a cable and neither does your camera as most, if not all, cameras ship with a cable, too. Yes, I am aware it would only cost them $1 to include one. But imagine how many people don't need the cable. All those thrown out USB cables wouldn't be very green, either.
So why does it "still irk you"?

2. If you looked outside your Vine participation, you'd see that Canon sells a white-colored version of this printer. Are they *required* to have the power adapter in both colors, too? Your power adapter is probably white because this printer model comes in white. Personally, I imagine they'd rather all the iFans be happy with all their matching whiteness, so in picking one color to make the adapters with, Canon chose white instead of the typical black. Sounds reasonable to me.

3. Saying the cartridge is "wasteful" is akin to saying a roll of film is "wasteful". It's not reusable because once it's been exposed, it's done. Once the thermal printing has been done here, it's also done. There's no practical way to refill these *ribbons*, unlike ink *tanks*.

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 12:33:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 9:35:25 PM PDT
D. Loken says:
I bought a battery for it on ebay for 30 dollars, I actually bought 2 of them. The thing this was build for was portability, you can take it with you to family stuff or other functions and print pic's out right there and give some out instead of running to the store and mailing them to you friends and family, or emailing them. There is a case you can buy for it, it''s offered here on amazon. I bought it and it holds the printer and cords and 108 of the paper and ink cartridges, making it very portable. I would advise getting it. The battery makes it great to print pics anywhere, picnics, out by the ocean, on a boat, camping, anywhere! I would advise getting a couple of them on ebay too! I love the thing just because I can take my digital camera and take my case with my printer, then take pics, take out my printer and print out pics for people right there. It's worth the price just for that to me. Let's say it's Christmas time, and your family's there. Most of the stores are closed and you really don't want to go out anyway. You take a bunch of pictures of the family and friends, most of the plugins are filled up, so you take out your handy canon printer and put the battery on the back, take the sd card out of your camera and start printing pic's for your family and friends before they go home. Isn't that worth the price? It would be to me!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 10:13:18 AM PST
Tim Smith says:
which carry case did you purchase?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 8:02:53 AM PDT
Victor says:

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 11:45:57 PM PDT
First of all, you cannot mark this printer down for having a white power cable with a black printer! I was a little bummed that I had to buy the battery separately, but it's only $30 additionally on ebay. The battery makes it SO easy to be portable and print anywhere and everywhere. You really don't need to print any smaller photos than 3X2. I'm not really sure what you would even use those tiny photos for, and you don't need amazing quality for super tiny photos anyway. The quality is AMAZING, prints fast, and the ink does not smudge at all. Regarding the ink refilling, if you're dealing with a photo high quality printer, you do not refill your cartridges anyway. When you refill, there's always a chance for spotting and uneven color printing. Also, there's not always a guarantee that the ink being put into the cartridges is photo quality. I was slightly peeved that you have to rip off these extra tabs at the top and bottom of the photos after they're done printing, but it's not that big a deal. I was also used to buying my photo paper for very cheap at OfficeMax, so I was turned off at first because you can only use the paper/ink packs. These packs are still WAY cheaper than any other brand and put out more photos per ink cartridge than ANY HP printer I've ever owned (which has been many tiny photo printer over the years). Some of the HP printers were a littler quieter (issues I've had on film sets), but they always had some weird alignment issues, paper feeding glitches, etc. This one is even smaller, works better, has cheaper ink/paper, AND has a battery option that the others don't (also a plus on set). I would HIGHLY recommend it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 9:25:35 PM PDT
D. Loken says:
I bought this one: USA GEAR Portable Photo Printer Carrying Case & Messenger Travel Bag- Works with Canon Selphy CP800 , CP780 , CP760 & PowerShot , EOS and Rebel Digital Cameras , Accessories & More! from amazon. Cost under 20 plus shipping. Can carry the printer, 2 batteries, the Bluetooth, the cords, and 100 sheets of paper and ink cartridges.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›