4.0 out of 5 stars Resistance 3 is a great FPS even if this is your first entry into the Resistance Series..., September 10, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resistance 3 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I am not one for horror movies, scary movies, FPS shooters that feature zombies in game after game (I'm looking at you Call of Duty) or that sort of thing, so after I got my PS3 I never found myself that compelled to pick up either Resistance FoM or Resistance 2. However, reading the previews and watching the trailers for Resistance 3, I found myself very much interested. Having played a great amount of Resistance 3 single and multiplayer I can report that I am very glad I picked this one up.

Graphics
This game is not as beautiful or graphically amazing as Killzone 3. However it does look quite good. The textures, the lighting especially make this game look incredible. From an artistic standpoint, this game looks just simply incredible. The guns look detailed, the textures are deep, the character models are quite good but the environments are what will capture your attention the most.

Presentation:
Because the environments are so beautiful and captivating, the game does a phenomenal job putting you into a role as one of the last survivors on earth. You can really buy into the idea that you're at the end of a war that has gone terrible. The music, the graphics, the sound effects all effectively present what happens.

Gameplay:
Most notable about this game is that it gives a shout-out to older FPS games by allowing you to hold more than 2 weapons, in fact you can hold as many as you like on your weapon wheel. You also must gather health packs to revive. It reminds me of the first FPS I played which was Star Wars: Dark Forces. This is a good thing. I hate having to drop weapons on the ground to pick up a new one, the simple weapon wheel system (like Assassins Creed) works well. It is a pleasure to switch weapons to make the tactics you need available to get the upper hand. A shotgun is an excellent weapon when you're being surrounded by zombie alien hordes, but a sniper rifle is most effective at distance. The bulls-eye allows you to hone in on enemies even when they're moving and you're firing elsewhere, which is helpful for grasshopper aliens. The augment (shooting through walls) gun is effective particularly to find out where enemies are hiding.

Sound:
The music and sound effects are sensational and help add to the atmosphere and feeling of the entire game. The music is well composed and sometimes the silence is more dramatic and intense than the music itself.

Multiplayer:
The multiplayer is quite buggy particularly here within the first week, but considering the beta and two giant updates to R3, I wonder why it is so full of errors. Much like any other modern FPS, multiplayer supports a leveling up system as well as a class system. As you level up you may create your own class and you can choose your own combination of guns, power-ups, grenades and so forth. Any upgrades your purchase for one class is available to all other classes (unlike KZ3) which is good. Besides the glitches in multiplayer, the game feels a little off balanced because certain players with upgraded guns & power-ups particularly in combination really over-run other players at lower levels. However, I find this to be a similar problem to various FPS multiplayer leveling up systems. It simply takes so long to accumulate the points to purchase new abilities, guns, powers, and so forth.

Overall, this FPS is a phenomenal addition to your PS3 game collection especially if you enjoy First Person Shooters. The single player is dark, gritty and creepy and the multiplayer despite its flaws is a fun sensational experience.

UPDATE:
The more hours I put into the campaign and multiplayer the more I have come to appreciate the art design of the game. While perhaps R3 doesn't do anything that other FPS haven't done before, it does them well, it does them with a great post-apocalyptic style and great level design. One complaint I have is that there are a few levels where the game encourages you to be stealthy, but the game doesn't always give you the tools to do so. It does a good job trying to creep you out with aliens in abandoned-post alien-end of the world as we know it places all across America. Its' story is grim and though you don't know the main characters you care about what happens to them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2011 7:18:02 PM PDT
Great review! I like how you detailed everything; it certainly makes it easy for people debating whether or not they want to buy this game.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:44:23 AM PDT
Jason says:
thank you, I try to write reviews that will be helpful, I'm glad that it was helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 10:33:16 AM PDT
Sky says:
A most righteous and thorough review. Do give R1 a try if you liked R3.

Sky

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 11:02:21 AM PDT
I agree... you'll love R1 if you really are enjoying R3

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 1:46:25 PM PDT
Sky says:
But no trophies for R1. :-( Unless they added 'em to the Greatest Hits editions??? (Like they did for Uncharted 1.) Anyone know? I'd probably repurchase R1 if there was a version with trophies.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 7:05:08 PM PDT
Jason says:
I might have to check Resistance: FoM out...this fall is already packed with good games to check, but maybe once things slow down next year...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 11:38:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2011 11:40:26 AM PDT
Jason says:
Sky I do not believe they added trophies for R1. It has to be added in by the developer and My last trip through Resistance didn't have trophies. Uncharted got them through a patch (which initially screwed up the game and needed to be patched again).

actually while typing this did a fast search

Even the dual pack being released... R1: FoM will not be getting a trophy patch

btw Jason ^_^ I believe you are the Jason that convinced me to use my Real Name on amazon. I think both times we had posted a review for a game and the review page showed JASON and JASON with two different sets of reviews. I then did another random item and someone else was also named Jason.. so I decided to use my real name to avoid confusion

Posted on Sep 30, 2011 12:14:30 PM PDT
Durrell R. says:
I just started to play the campaign and I agree the game is very cool and I really like the weapon upgrades. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 9:44:12 PM PDT
What's your opinion of the multiplayer? What features are there and how does it stack up to the single player campaign?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 7:33:39 PM PDT
Jason says:
Well first, I don't play a lot of multiplayer. I like sci-fi multiplayer like Killzone 3 and the occasional military shooter. I really like Resistance 3's multiplayer. The maps are fun, and the upgrade system is simple and straight forward. If you like the levels and the great weapons, then you'll like Resistance 3's multiplayer. I kept it simply because of the multiplayer. I think in a few months time I'll be rotating between Killzone 3, Resistance 3 and Battlefield 3 multiplayer for my FPS multiplayer needs.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (315 customer reviews)

$59.99 $13.39