5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value. Size matters when flying., September 27, 2012
This review is from: Olympia Luggage 29" 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag (Apparel)
Just what I was looking for - a large, one-compartment bag under 62 linear inches. Perfect for flying with bulky camping gear. Plus lots of small pockets for the easy-to-lose stuff.

QUALITY: Can't vouch for how it will hold up over the years yet, but the quality (material, zippers, wheels, etc.) is similar to the bag I'm replacing, which held up for several flights over 10+ years. I'm sure the $100+ bags are more heavy-duty, but this one seems great for the money. I expect it to last as long as the old one.

SIZE: There is some discrepancy with the specs on the web. Mine measures 28.5"x14.1"x14.8" on the outside, including the wheels, but not the straps & pockets (I posted a customer images with rulers). That's 57.4 linear inches. Size is important because I want the biggest bag I can get without exceeding the airline's 62" checked bag limit. And since duffels tend to puff out when packed (especially when stuffing the pockets), I feel this bag is the perfect size. Also note: Be careful about the weight too. Large bags like this are easy to exceed the 50 lb airline weight limit, so be careful when packing heavy items. (Note: Weight of empty bag about 6.5 lbs.).

WARRANTY: There is some discrepancy about the warranty too. Amazon doesn't mention it. eBags.com says 10 years. The tag on my bag says 2 years, immediately followed by "Luggage America, Inc. warrants this product from defects in materials and/or workmanship for 5 years". I posted an image of the tag. Good luck figuring that out. Hope I don't need to.

SUMMARY: Very nice bag for the price. Seems well made, but time will tell. I will post updates if I have any problems. I'm sure more expensive bags are better, but I'm giving it 5 stars for value, size, and features.

Hope it helps. See my customer images (Note: customer images seem to be difficult to get to for this product. Click on "See all customer images" underneath the pictures). Appreciate the feedback.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2013 5:56:01 PM PDT
Danny G. says:
Is the bottom rigid or flexible?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2013 6:08:34 PM PDT
J. Padykula says:
It's fairly ridged, but the main support is internal - the frame that houses the extendable handle. There are only two rubber feet on the bottom at the front. By comparison, my old bag had two skid strips that ran the length of the bag, which looked sturdier. I would have posted a picture to show you, but it looks like Amazon has turned off the customer images.

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 10:22:23 AM PDT
SFTechie says:
Awesome review. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 11:54:30 AM PDT
The Dude says:
Great review! One question - can it be locked?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 3:09:01 PM PDT
J. Padykula says:
It isn't really made to be locked. Plus it's probably pretty easy to cut through the nylon anyway. I guess you can put a small lock through the double zippers (to keep them from opening), but airport security discourages locks. Personally, I use small carabiner clips through the zippers to keep them together. That way security can get in if they want. I used to wrap a strap around the entire bag too, but that almost never made it to the other side so I stopped.

Posted on Apr 22, 2014 5:50:42 PM PDT
Lara Picaso says:
just wondering how the bag has held up. Looking to purchase it but have seen mixed reviews. I know you get what you pay for but it's been a while since your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2014 6:24:21 PM PDT
J. Padykula says:
Unfortunately, I've only used it once and it doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere soon. (Employment situation changed; no vacations in the foreseeable future). Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. But I don't expect that much out of a nylon duffel. My last one lasted 5 or 6 trips, so I'll be happy if I get that. Actually, I had a more expensive luggage set before the duffel, and that didn't even last that long before the zipper broke.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2014 9:41:53 PM PDT
Hi J,
Since you traveled with it at least once. Would you recommend this one as opposed to the 32 inch version ?
Is this the one I have to consider? I am planning to use it as my checked bag and not going over the 50lbs limit.
Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 10:14:57 PM PDT
Dan T. says:
I purchased this bag, but I am confused at how small it is. Is the height of the bag including the handle that extends out? I ordered the 29" one, but I'm only measuring 18" without extending the handle out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 4:13:53 AM PDT
J. Padykula says:
Hi Jossue. My only recommendation is to use a bag that won't trigger oversized fees. Policy might vary between airlines, but I've found this to be typical: "Maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height), Maximum weight is 50 pounds".

The larger (32" & 33") duffels seem to be right at or just over that limit. This bag measures 57.4 linear inches so technically you could get one slightly larger. But duffels tend to bloat when you fill them so this bag can get very close to the 62" limit when measured at the "lumpiest" points. I think they've only measured my bags once (and they were fine), but I'd worry about some nit-picky airline employee giving me a hard time with anything bigger than this.

And be careful with the weight, especially with a larger bag. I was over the 50 lb. limit once with this size bag. (Fortunately, they let me redistribute to another bag).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (203 customer reviews)

$67.49 $32.99 - $67.08