5.0 out of 5 stars "A Rare Tropical Fish -- Like You!", July 9, 2003
This review is from: Desk Set [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I hesitate to write this review, since "Desk Set" is not merely my favorite Hepburn-Tracy movie, but also my favorite movie. Moreover, it includes my favorite scene in the movies, the "scene on the roof." Hence, I ain't objective. The roof scene, in which Tracy gives Hepburn what is essentially an I.Q. test, and Hepburn aces it, is not merely brilliant Tracy/Hepburn (told you I was biased), but a classic example of the jousting that occurs when a very smart guy meets a very smart woman. Inevitably -- because this is Tracy and Hepburn -- Richard Sumner admires and, eventually, falls madly in love with Bunny Watson, who dumps her long-time, self-centered, unappreciative boyfriend in order to marry him.
Everything about this film is delightful, from Tracy's cautioning Hepburn, "Never assume!" before relating the famous "detective" problem (see title of this review), to the office jokes between the legal department and the librarians, the floating-island dessert, Tracy's bongo drums, and the rousing climax in which, as the new library computer spews out all 87 verses of the poem, "Curfew," instead of data about the island of Corfu (having been mis-programed by a female in god-forbid -- a suit), Hepburn theatrically recites the poem, rounding off each verse with a resounding, "Curfew will not ring tonight!"
"Should Bunny Watson marry Richard Sumner?" Tracy types into his computer. "I thought that you said that it couldn't evaluate?" asks Hepburn. "I programmed in the answer," Tracy responds.
So have I. This is a great movie: it has humor, romance, intelligence and wit. Love it. Buy it. Most importantly -- make the studio put it out in DVD.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2010 1:26:20 PM PST
You must be a kindred soul. Not only have most people never heard of this movie, but none of them would call it a favorite movie as I do! Thank you for your terrific review! Now I am off to purchase the DVD version since I no longer have a VCR to play my old videotape of this.

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:33:01 AM PDT
I, too, would have to say this is my favorite movie ever. It is just plain charming and a sure pick-me-up experience. My favorite scene is at Bunny's apartment after getting soaked, Mr. Sumner is invited to dry off and to share a meal. Who doesn't love that she is serving Floating Island....such a huge divergence from today's NYC single girl's likely meal for a man. I loved Spencer Tracy's portrayal of a drunk as he leaves her apartment with his shoes smoking and Bunny and her friend doubled over with laugher. Gee, I think it may be time for me to watch this again.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:50:59 AM PST
Definitely a way over looked movie. So much fun and brilliant writing. Undeniable chemistry not only between Hepburn and Tracy, but you can also tell that Hepburn and Joan Blondell must have had so much fun making this movie. I have always believed that the final scene in Bunnie's apt, when Richard is about to leave and pops back around the corny with his shirt untucked and his hat askew, just HAD to have been improvisation. That was true laughter out of Hepburn and Blondell. So much fun, my family has made this one of our holiday tradition movies (we consider it a great Christmas movie). Awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:42:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 8:16:41 PM PST
I totally agree with everything you said. The scene in Bunny's apartment makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. If I ever need a lift in spirits, I just watch this movie. It makes me very happy!

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:04:14 PM PST
kterbo says:
Ok I don't understand, you are writing a review for the movie "desk set" but these reviews are for Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Collection (2011) which contains many movies. ??? Did amazon move the reviews around? What about the other films?

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:05:43 PM PST
kterbo says:
here is the link where I found your review Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Collection
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (279 customer reviews)

$12.98 $8.05