4.0 out of 5 stars A SOLID SEQUEL, HEAVY ON STARK AND LIGHT ON IRON!, May 8, 2010
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
While Iron Man 2 may not be perfect, it is a very solid and fun sequel. Improvements include better action sequences and some great characters added to the franchise. Unfortunately there is a lot going on here and even though it isn't hard to follow, there isn't enough time to give each sub plot the proper screen time it deserves. Oddly enough for a super hero film, I think they could have edited some of the talky scenes down and added a little more Iron Man action.

A good example of this is when we meet Natasha Romanova she isn't given much to do and I found myself wondering if she was going to be The Black Widow on screen. She is only in one action sequence(a great one with one of the funniest moments in the film)late in the movie and she and Nick Fury are really only there to set up The Avengers movie. I'm not saying it should be edited out, but there is only so much ground you can cover in two hours. Whiplash is played with gusto by Mickey Rourke, but he doesn't have much screen time either and that seems to be the problem with this film, no one but Tony Stark gets enough screen time.

After the first encounter with Whiplash in Monaco on the race track, we don't really get a good dose of Iron man until the final battle, which means there is over an hour of time where there isn't that much action. Considering what I had read about this being an action packed film, I found it to be very talky. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because the characters are well developed and the actors are all really good here.

The final battle is very good with some very cool Iron Man destruction and some nifty moves, but it's surprising and anti-climatic when Whiplash is defeated very quickly. In the first film, I thought the final battle was too long and in this one, it just seems to end too abruptly. I'm not bashing this film in any way as it is a very fun film that I will most certainly own the DVD/Blu Ray when it is released, but I think the story may have been a little too ambitious for one film.

Overall I give Iron Man 2 a solid B(4 stars)and I think Favreau did a very good job all things considered. Of course if you are seeing this in a theater, then stick around until the end of the credits role for a little teaser scene about another Marvel Hero who will be hitting theaters next year.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010 9:32:48 PM PDT
Nice un' Mr! I got bored with this, and irritated. But it wasn't a bad film, I just had high expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 5:30:26 AM PDT
Yeah my expectations were high too. I wish I hadn't read any reviews before seeing this as I think most critics got this wrong. I know a lot of people hated Spider Man 3, but if you look at this film and that one, I think that film is better paced with an equally ambitious story line.

Posted on May 10, 2010 4:52:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2010 4:54:00 PM PDT
I'm amazed this movie is getting such positive reviews. I didn't think it was terrible or anything but I just don't understand what there was to like in this film. I mean. I assumed the story wouldn't be as good as the first, but I thought the action would be better. That's usually the sequel rule right? But what happened in Iron Man 2? We got about 15 minutes TOTAL of action in the entire movie and about half of that went to Scarlett Johanssen and Jon freakin Favreau of all people, while the other was an uninspired and extremely irrational scene on a race track. Everything in this movie just felt half assed. Plus we have two great great actors on screen in Downey and Rourke, one playing the protagonist and the other playing the villain, and we only get like FIVE minutes of character interaction between the two? Are you kidding me? You get a great Oscar nominated actor like Mickey Rourke and don't even give him lines? It just felt like they completely wasted him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 5:17:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2010 2:29:32 PM PDT
Hi J.H.,

I had high expectations and I guess I was a little let down, but in the film's defense I was never bored. I agree there was no where near as much action as the reviews claimed there was, but I think seeing this again I will like it more becasue I won't be expecting so much. I guess that is why I gave it four stars, in the hopes that next time I watch it I can appreciate it for what it is. Maybe, unlike most super hero trilogies, the third film in this series will be the real winner?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 11:24:33 AM PDT
See I can't say I was bored watching the movie, but at the same time, I can't think of ONE memorable part. The whole movie was completely forgettable aside from Sam Rockwell's dance near the end. As for Iron Man 3, I feel like I can pretty much call right now that movie won't be good. It'll suffer the same fate as X3 and Spidey 3. Too many characters, too little plot, even more of the non-sensical action. In fact the non-sensical action was already there. I mean, you're fighting on a race track and you turn your back to oncoming traffic? Why would you do that?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 2:39:30 PM PDT
Only time will tell. I actually liked Spidey 3 even if it wasn't as good as the first two, it certainly didn't bore me. As third films go in the super heor genre Spider Man is probably the best to date, dispite its flaws.

As far as the credibility of fighting on a race track well....it is comic book fare. I could say the same thing about The Dark Knight. How could Batman fall from the top of a sky scraper with a girl in his arms and not even get the wind knocked out of him? Even if HE could survive this, the girl didn't even have a hair out of place or wrinkle on her dress.

I know I will buy Iron Man 2 when it comes to DVD and I hope the second time around it feels better. As far as too many character in the Spider Man 3 film, well I can't wait to see how they tackle The Avengers! I do not have high expectations for that one, but I'm hoping. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 4:12:53 PM PDT
Maybe a director's cut would help Iron Man 2, I dunno. Also, maybe it's partly because this was the first superhero movie in a while that wasn't trying to be something outside the genre, like say Kick-Ass for example. Maybe just the cookie-cutter aspect of Iron Man 2 as a pretty much standard superhero movie is what turned me off to it. I mean, Iron Man 1 was like that, but at least it had a solid consistant plot and action sequences that made sense.

Posted on May 11, 2010 10:36:03 PM PDT
fmwaalex says:
I still need to make my way to see this one, excellent review KIA.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 6:48:31 AM PDT
I liked it FM and I think people are being too harsh on this one. It's not on par with Spider Man 2, but what super hero films are?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 10:25:53 AM PDT
I dunno, when I think of good superhero films, I'm thinking Spidey 1 and 2, Iron Man 1, Batman Begins and to a lesser extent, the Dark Knight. Those were all about on the same level to me. This one just doesn't feel like it reached the heights of those other classic superhero films.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,543 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $16.23