5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, August 13, 2009
This review is from: Digital Concepts cl-58 58mm 4-Piece Multi-Coated Camera Lens Filter Sets (Electronics)
These are a great buy. You can't beat the price for added flexibility. They attach easily and do their job (magnifying the image) really well.

Couple of things to mention- one is that of course, once these are attached to the lens one has to use manual focus. That could be a problem for folks trying to shoot things that move quickly. Additionally, the DOF narrows significantly with the stronger magnifications. This could be a problem if you're shooting insects. Neither of these issues have to do with this manufacturer nor the vendor, but rather limitations of the product itself.

For me though, these diopters work extremely well for my purposes (artistic, abstract photography and flower macros.) I find the functionality to be excellent. My only complaint, and considering what I got for the price, it's a small complaint, is about the packaging. Personally, I would prefer a case with non-scratch surfaces, but the folding, wallet design is a good one. All in all, an excellent product and a great value for the money.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2010 10:16:08 AM PDT
hi amber, I just wanna ask what dslr camera do you have, and what type of lens? because I just purchased this close up lens and its to small for my lens, I can't install it, I think I need an adapter or something for it to fit on my lens, by the way mine is Nikon D90, have you had the same problem? what adapter did you use? pls reply, I really need your help..thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 9:23:06 AM PDT
Thomman says:
It has nothing to do with the DSLR. It is screwed on to the lens. You need a lens that accepts 58mm filter. I think the kit lens accepts 58mm filter, but that probably isnt the best lens for Macro. 50mm f/1.4 is probably your best-value choice for this item. However, you may be able to find close up filter for your lens - just search for close-up lens with your lens' filter size.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2010 9:29:31 AM PDT
agreed, first step is to get the proper filter size for the proper lens size!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 8:49:31 AM PDT
Thunder says:
@ thomman. Why in gods name would you tell someone to spend $500.00 on a standard 50mm prime f/1.4 lens (I like the Sig 50mm f/1.4 version by the way) and then put these POS filters on it? Buy a proper macro lens (and you really don't want a 50mm macro, 100mm is a better bet. I use a 150mm). These filters (from anybody) will not produce print worthy images.

People, you get what you pay for. If you like $10.00 dollar quality photos, then by all means buy these. If you are at all serious about your photography then do the research into what macro is and what it takes to succeed. There is more to a macro lens than simply getting closer to your subject. The optics of a macro lens are different than a standard lens, this is to correct the optical aberrations that occur in a standard lens when it is made to get very close to the subject.

Google the name Brian Valentine-LordV, he is just about the finest macro photog of our time. A real innovator, and a hell of a nice guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 10:23:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 10:26:32 AM PDT
Thomman says:
@Thunder, easy there. I didn't ask her to buy a $500 lens. What I was trying to tell her was the filter is screwed on, and this filter will work on any lens that takes 58mm filter (which 50mm f/1.4 is.. and btw, it isnt a $500 lens). I am sorry if I offended you with that advice. I didnt know I might make somebody buy a $500 accidentally with that advice.

Not everybody can do lordv-type macros. Not everybody is willing to be doing what he does either. His talent and skill are complimented by his equipment that includes Canon MPE65. You think people who want to take pictures like lordv would be looking at this filter?

BTW, I do want to take pictures like lordv.. and I have a 100mm macro. But I cant - for skill and effort :(

Take it easy..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 3:28:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 3:29:31 PM PDT
Thunder says:
@ thomman. I probably did come on a bit strong, sorry. Your wording suggested that a $500.00 prime 50mm f/1.4 lens be bought and then the filters put on them, my point was and still is that you can get a proper macro lens for that price. Canon 50mm 1.4 at B+H is $399.00, the Sig 50mm f/1.4 is $499.00

I guess the point that I so clumsily tried to make is that in photography there is no short cut. It may be only $10.00 but if one gets in to the cheap way mind set, that wasted $10.00 turns in to a bag of cheap gear that will leave the budding photographer full of regret. It took years for me to be able to afford the MP-E65 and the MT-24 flash. I made due with reversing prime lenses on a zoom lens until I could afford a proper macro lens (Sig 150mm 2.8) Believe me, I understand not having the gear to do the job. I just now bought the 5DMKII because the price came down after the release of the MKIII.

It is good that you looked up LordV, he has mentored many of us over the years. If you could see my macro shots when I started 6 years ago you would laugh, now with LordV's help I am comfortable in saying that I am fairly good....But I do now have high end gear.

Don't give up, you will be surprised at how quickly you be come skilled at macro if you follow his teachings. One of the most important pieces of gear after your 100mm macro lens is a flash. I use a flash 98% of the time. Properly dialed in you can not tell that a flash is used. I would be happy to give you a hand in this. I can be found (so can LordV) at The Photo camel, and Photography at New England Moments. I am also on Light Cafe and The Photo forum. Look in the Macro and nature rooms.

Best of luck, and hope to see you on the forums.

Thunder, AKA Thunder_o_b

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:24:36 AM PDT
Derek Lyons says:
"Couple of things to mention- one is that of course, once these are attached to the lens one has to use manual focus"

That's not an "of course". Autofocus works just fine with one of these mounted on my Canon 550D (T2i).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2013 2:34:19 PM PDT
J. Randell says:
I was just about to type the same thing. I use auto focus as with my t3i 18-55, and 55-200mm.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›