1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for release., October 4, 2012
This review is from: Quicken Home & Business 2013 [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
It's shameful Intuit would release a product that should be a beta than a production release. I am a long term Quicken user from back in the DOS days and a former beta tester! Upgrading from Home and Business 2010 was a nightmare! After purchasing the download I installed it, and the program returned an error it couldn't apply updates it had downloaded. Next up was to acquire the patch and manually install. Needless to say it broke the windows installer and and completely destroyed the Norton Ghost installation. This issue couldn't be resolved so I have requested a refund.

The program is buggy, the budgeting interface is aweful, no customization of a color interface, and very busy and confusing. Quicken never was strong on the budgeting component, but this is the WORST I have ever seen.

The add reports to the toolbar customization, doesn't work! Saved programs from previous versions do not work. The savings Goals graphs are not formated correctly and the dollar amount is cut off on the right of the screen. Additionaly, unless you specify a target goal amount, the current amount residing in savings goals won't even display. The budget reports are inaccurate and more time than there worth. The default Personal Income and Personal Expense groups cannot be removed which is the source of the inaccuracy. Geesh, did anyone at Intuit have an accounting primer or have a clue how this is to work. Many of the same errors have been present in the last 3 Windows releases.

Enter the Ipad, Android mobile app. All fine and dandy but I for one could care less about putting my financial data in the cloud, on someone elses server. A mobile app is fine, if it could sync directly to the desktop. Call me old fashioned. In testing the Cloud I have found it is a hybrid version of mint and desktop quicken and quite frankly doesn't work. The mobile version will aggregate real time account data which tells me you have surrended your passwords and given access to your accounts. It also produces and alters the register balance, deletes your historical transactions on sync which is the source of the error, making it incorrect and not accurate at all! Basically they have tried to merge Mint and Desktop together and its failed. For those that value your finances and keep accurate records, this is not the product!

I could rant on, but I wont. The bozos who are part of the product development team need to get their act together. What I am intersted in is a solid desktop financial product based on trusted accounting principles. What I am not interested in is a product geared for the GenX GenY generation. I have a feeling the end of comprehensive desktop software is near it's end.

Unfortunately I do not recommend purchasing this product at this time. Its nothing more than a public beta release. The cloud sync is a security disaster waiting to happen. Buyer Beware! INTUIT NEEDS TO RELEASE A PRODUCT PATCH WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK!

UPDATE: R3 RELEASE

Little has changed in this release. Mobile Sync is still non usable.
Saved Reports shortcuts have not been fixed.
Verify file in File Operations hangs and does not complete.
Whole interface is more clunky and unstable, crashes routinely on Windows Pro 64bit. R2 did not have this problem.
Custom Expense Graph is not accurate. The sumary box displays an inaccurate total, until the view whole graph is clicked, which produces the correct result.

OVERHAUL ANNOYANCE is the inability to customize the categories used in the stock views. EG. My Money View, is of little value as a complete summation of useless data that one may or may not want to track. The lack of the ability to customize these views is an otherwise waste of screen space. I think most will agree, Personal accounting is just that, and what the developers feel what should be reported and viewed isn't necessarily the right one.

The strong points of the program are the powerful historical data collection and reporting capabilities, the direct downloads from hundreds of financial institutions, and free flowing data entry interface. If you can live without investment data and require to the penny accuracy you should consider Quick Books. Honestly Quicken is Intuits CASH COW, but I think this cow is out of milk. Unfortunately I am actively searching and trialing several competing products as an alternate replacment, and yes I have used it for more than 20 years. This product by all practical purposes is at the end of its life in its current state couopled with a mandatory update every three years with Intuits sunset policy, and a recurrent history of NEVER fixing whats broken and releasing the same junk year after year. It's not a matter of "if" but "when" will Intuit drive that final nail!

UPDATE RELEASE 4

Released solved nothing. Product is mess, junk, broke. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE R6

Release resolved nothing. Core bugs remain, R6 completely screwed up the data file. THIS IS THE WORST RELEASE OF QUICKEN SOFTWARE SINCE ITS INCEPTION!!!!! I HAVE DOWNGRADED MY RATING TO 1, AND I MAINTAIN A DO NOT BUY FOR THIS JUNK! IT IS UNRELIABLE, YOU CAN NOT TRUST THE DATA, AND SO MUCH OF THE REPORTING IS BROKE AND INACURATE, I AM SORRY I EVER USED IT. This product is simply unacceptable so to the customer service reps that keep responding, STOP THE BULLSHIT. The product is broke!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 28 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 125 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 7:32:29 AM PDT
TimSez says:
Thank you for your review. I am in a similar situation (running Home & Business 2010), so was looking for exactly this kind of feedback from someone upgrading from 2010. It sounds like you saved me a great deal of time and grief. Sorry your experience wasn't better - I'll wait.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:18:21 PM PDT
Dan T. Davis says:
I tend to upgrade each year - and currently use H&B 2012, which now works fine. Sounds like each year is a "wait till about release 4".

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 11:46:53 AM PDT
Hi Robert,
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Quicken-we know that some customers have been experiencing issues, and we have our entire team working on solutions. We want this app to work perfectly for everyone, every time, and we plan to have a fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can review this FAQ, and sign up to be notified when your issue is resolved: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/go/INF21487

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 2:49:01 PM PDT
I am an avid user of Quicken and have returned to 2010 H&B. As this version hopefully matures and gets debugged, I will revist my review. Thank you for your response.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 1:55:57 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
No problem Robert--I wanted to let you know we've pushed R3 for 2013, which resolves the majority of issues around mobile syncing--we'll continue to work on the mobile app and the product, and I will pass your feedback on to our developers--

Thanks,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 3:38:54 PM PDT
Thank you for your response. However in looking at R3 there are many core program bugs that have not been taken care of. Lets get our priorities in order, please! Mobile app serves no useful purpose if the core program is not accurate in reporting the data. I would suggest fixing the program and accuracy first, then move on to mobile. I mean I am not kidding this is the worst release I have ever seen in 20 years! Financial accuracy is crutial, and don't view the application as the next neat cool mobile toy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 12:32:44 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Robert,
Could you send an email detailing what you are still seeing to forumfeedback[at]intuit.com? R3 should have addressed some of the issues you posted in your original review--

Thanks,

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:44:50 PM PDT
Am currently using Quicken 2010 which is working fine. I had used Microsoft Money before it was discontinued. I use the basic home and personal finance aspects of the program, am not interested in clouds or apps, but am interested in a reliable personal financial management program. If not Quicken, what else is out there for user-level consumers who are not computer programmers?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 11:47:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 11:50:32 AM PDT
I think you need to hire Robert. I know I will hold off until he says it is a reliable product. I am running H&B 2010. I have been a Quicken user for well over 20 yrs. and I am always afraid of new versions because the product team just doesn't do a good job of testing and then to make matters worst, when you need help your call is transferred to someone in India. Need I say more.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:03:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 9:08:53 PM PDT
Linda says:
My goodness! I have used Quicken for about that long too. This is scary as I do not know what to do about a replacement product and I'm still using 2010 Premier Release R10 because of all the hassles of upgrading. Also, I appreciate having my historical data available. Please do post when you find a product we can consider as a replacement.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›