5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Clear and Bright!, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN46ES6580 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black) (Electronics)
The Samsung UN46ES6580 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV has a phenomenal picture.
The picture is bright, clear and sharp. I love this picture! You might find yourself looking at the picture and seeing details in TV programs and DVD's that you have never seen before. The scrolling banners on news programs for instance come in clear and crisp. I have not noticed any motion blurring at all.
I use OTA(Over the Air) to receive TV signals. This utilizes just a plain old TV antenna. HD signals are fantastic. SD signals are just OK. The tuner in the TV worked great at picking up stations from my state and my neighboring state. I get lots of stations easily. Plain to upgrade to Comcast TV next week, so I will see what the picture looks like then.

I find the controls and menu system to be relatively intuitive. Easy to navigate and you find what you are looking for easily. The remote could be better, but it is not too bad. It would have been nice to have a remote with a small keyboard
and mouse pad. Its entirely usable, but not the best for surfing the internet and inputting text for search engines or apps like YouTube, Netflix, and others.
There is a better solution. Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad (920-003070) Comes with a USB connector that plugs into back of TV. Great for surfing internet and general navigation through TV menu controls.
To set up keyboard, go to MENU, then SYSTEM, over to DEVICE MANAGER, then to KEYBOARD SETTINGS. That's it...It might recognize keyboard automatically after you plug in USB receiver, and you might not have to do those steps however.
The TV does come with 4 active 3D glasses. Have not used 3D yet.
Also, comes with Skype camera. Have not used this either yet.

I find that the video setting of Dynamic is best for me. Also, my wife and I like the sound setting on Movie. There are plenty of settings to adjust picture and sound.

Internet works fast and apps seem pretty nice. You can have TV PIP(picture in Picture) when surfing the internet. Nice!

Overall, so far, I have not had any problems. If you register your TV on Samsung site, you will get an extra 3 months on your warranty.

After thought. I spent over 2 years casually researching TV's. This one has everything that I wanted and hoped for. Went to Sam's Club before buying this one and brought home a 50" LG Plasma for half the price of the Samsung. Of course it was not a Smart TV though. It had 3 bright defective pixels. The LG went right back to Sam's Club the same day. The display model at Sam's had 2 defective pixels. This is just plain inexcusable.
That is when I decided to "bite the bullet" and ordered the more expensive Samsung. I do not regret my decision.

Also, when I ordered from Amazon, the price was $100 more than what it is now. As the TV was being shipped, Amazon promptly refunded the difference. Good going Amazon.
However, I was not happy with the way Amazon shipped the TV. It was by regular UPS delivery. The box had one visible break in it. I expected and wrongly assumed, better packaging. The shipping box was the original box the TV comes in. Should have been doubled boxed with better padding.

Other than that, I would recommend this TV if it is within your budget. It really is fantastic...if it lasts.

Robert

Update: Skype camera works well on initial testing. Video and sound quality is good. Skype app has option to automatically login when TV starts, but it seems like it only automatically logins when you actually enter Smart Hub, and not when TV actually starts. Possible Skype app problem. Also, had one occasion when after using some app, that the TV only displayed a pinkish
hue. Reset TV by unplugging, and then plugging back in. Have not had any other problems since. Also, there is a firmware update for TV on Samsung website.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 5:31:05 PM PDT
Tim Holmes says:
Hi, I have been reading all sorts of bad reviews about the Samsung keyboard accessory VG-KBD1500 ... seems like it is only OK for surfing and absolutely no good at all for typing in entries to NetFlix, etc. So you comment about the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400, caught my eye. Are you able to use that keyboard for text entry in Netflix and Pandora, etc ... i.e. something other than just searching the web ? Many thanks. Tim.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:50:42 AM PST
"The tuner in the TV worked great at picking up stations from my state and my neighboring state."

Amazon reports that you are in Hawaii. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you can pick up any stations from a neighboring state. In addition, Amazon will not ship this to Hawaii.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:07:41 AM PST
vifi says:
By any chance , did firmware upgrade give you any error. I have been trying for some time but it is not happening.
My firmware version is too old (0020) Vs latest (0025) But firmware upgrade fails after 24% or 64% when upgrading through Network and USB respectively.

For me : Smart APPS not working , Browser , Skype nothing is working.
Samsung support is pathetic so far ( could be because of Holiday season )

3D : I won't recommend buying this TV for 3D feature. Or at least I didn't find it to be too promising ( based on tests through Youtube videos. )

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:34:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 1:29:53 PM PDT
Greg Janssen says:
Does it have PIP for sure? The vendor, MODIA, says the UN55ES6580 does not have PIP, and it 'is the same as the 46 except for screen size'. Which is it? It is of primary importance to me. Thanks for obliging me. Hmmm, what year is yours? Maybe 2013, which MODIA wants to ship, is different.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 11:45:20 AM PDT
Greg Janssen says:
Please double verify that the UN46SE6580 has picture in picture PIP. My order for a UN55ES6580 is on hold until I can verify that it will have PIP. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2013 5:17:37 PM PST
S. HERNDON says:
"Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)"
Good day sir.