Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars More camera for the same money!, June 7, 2012
This review is from: Evertech Varifocal CDM368IRV CCTV Security Camera(White) Day and Night Indoor Outdoor 700 TV Lines, 2.8 - 12 mm Adjustable Zoom LensEvertech Varifocal CDM368IRV CCTV Security Camera(White) Day and Night Indoor Outdoor 700 TV Lines, 2.8 - 12 mm Adjustable Zoom Lens (Camera)
Ok, so I have a very simple Zmodo 8 channel home security dvr and I noticed that the cameras that came with it really sucked. That was about 2 years ago and ever since I have been on the hunt for better cameras for my dvr.

The first camera I ordered was the 600 tvl Videosecu Dome Camera (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YZXQXG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00). When the camera arrived I was so excited that I did not even realize that I had actually received was an AVUE AV666s (http://www.amazon.com/AVUE-AV666S-Varifocal-distance-adjustment/dp/B00564VGK8/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t). I was amazed by the variable zoom and variable focus on the camera that I did not even care that it was the wrong color and not the actual product that I had ordered. Plus the image quality far surpassed that of the current Zmodo comers that I had. So without any questions I installed it and have been happily using it ever since.

So, I finally saved up enough money to get a second camera and not remembering that Amazon had sent me the wrong camera the first time I reordered the 600 tvl Videosecu Dome Camera. Needless to say Amazon did not screw up twice and I was significantly disappointed when I actually received what I had ordered. I should point out that the Videosecu camera is about 2/3 the size of this Evertech Camera, but believe me when I say the features on this Evertech more then make up for the size difference. So, what led me to send the Videosecu Camera back was the night vision view. I installed the Videosecu and eventually the Evertech Cameras on the overhang of my roof next to my garage. The camera is pointed almost horizontally to capture the concrete apron in front of my garage, the driveway and most of my front yard. Unfortunately when I positioned the Videosecu Camera roughly 5 degrees down from straight horizontal I realized that the LEDs for the "night vision" where actually reflecting into the camera lens and washing out most of the picture. Well that made the camera utterly useless. So I returned the Videosecu and started looking for a similar camera to the AVUE AV666s.

Enter the EVERTECH 700 TVL Camera!!! Stat wise this camera dwarfed both the Videosecu and the AVUE AV666s cameras. With 700 TVL instead of 600 TVL I get better resolution (although I should note that my sub par Zmodo DVR only records up to 420 TVL resolution), with 36 LEDs I get 16 more LEDs for better night vision then the Videosecu camera and with a 2.8-12mm zoom lens I get the best of both wide angle and zoom lens capabilities in one camera.

Okay, so lets break down some of the features.

The 700 TVL. Again this is far superior resolution then I got with the original 380 TVL Zmodo Cameras. I mean it is night and day difference even in the daytime, and at nighttime I can actually see what is in front of the camera where as with the Zmodo cameras I could just make out movement but not actually know what was moving. Compared to the 600 TVL resolution of the AVUE camera I can just slightly tell a difference when looking at the live feeds. Again, however, when looking at the recorded video it is the same since my Zmodo DVR limits the recording resolution on both cameras to 420 TVL.

The 36 LEDs. These can be both a positive and a negative. If you are going to use this camera for relatively close quarters or small, enclosed spaces I have to say I think your nighttime images could be washed out due to overpowering LEDs. However, if you're going to use this camera for outside recording like I do the extra LEDs really help illuminate almost the entire recorded image even at the widest setting of 2.8mm. Again at the 2.8mm setting on the camera the LEDs reach past 50 feet with ease but start to fade in intensity beyond 75 feet.

The 2.8-12mm Vari-focal lens. This is probably the second best feature behind the resolution (700 TVL). If you have any question in your mind how close or how far away your camera needs to be from what you want to record, or how much of a particular area you want to record you should definitely get this camera. The 2.8-12mm lens means you can zoom out to one of the widest lens settings that security cameras come in, 2.8mm. With the camera set to 2.8mm I can view approximately 50 feet from one side of the image to the other at a distance of only 15 feet from the camera (hope that makes sense). So at 2.8mm I can see almost an entire semi-truck trailer (not including the cab) with the trailer placed only 15 feet in front of the camera. But if I zoom the lens in all the way to 12 mm I can see approximately 20 feet from one side of the camera image to the other, or about the length of a pickup truck. That's a lot of zoom from one lens and makes this camera very versatile and for picky people like me allows you to be able to capture exactly what you want with this camera! The other aspect of this lens is the Vari-focal. That means that as you zoom the lens in and out you can also refocus the lens. Needless to say that is mandatory because the image is completely unrecognizable if you left the focus at the correct focus point for the 2.8mm setting and then zoomed in even to the 5mm lens setting. The point I'm trying to make is that you are able to focus the camera on what ever you want and you are not out of luck of the manufacturer's focus setting gives you a slightly unfocused image.

The exterior of the camera is almost identical to the picture; the only downside was that my camera came with the logo MGI screen-printed on the front of the base. Yes, I did order the camera from MGI as it was the cheapest seller of the camera, but I did not expect them to put their logo on a camera they did not manufacture. More of a minus to the seller though then the camera itself. The other interesting thing that was not in the description of the camera was the small five-way controller that is physically built into the camera's cable. I still have not fully figured out what all the small remote can control, but after one minute I was able to find controls for the camera itself that allowed me to mirror the image, adjust the color contrast, brightness, sharpness and, if memory serves me correctly, the white balance of the camera. All very sophisticated controls that I was not expecting, but was pleasantly surprised by, especially since the camera was only $69.43, read cheaper then both the Videosecu and AVUE cameras!

All in all, I could not be happier with the camera and not only would I recommend it to anyone looking for this type of camera, but I am going to be purchasing two more as soon as funds allow, as I do not think there is a better camera out there for the money. Hope this wasn't too long and helps some of you on the fence about this product. If you have any questions please ask and I will try to answer them promptly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 2:27:38 AM PDT
Help full made some valid points Thanks for your observation

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 7:27:10 PM PDT
Giles Levy says:
Thanks for the review! I was wondering if the IR LEDs are visible to passers by at night (some IR LEDs bleed into visible spectrum).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 8:42:40 PM PDT
yes they are vusable

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 9:25:38 PM PDT
WMU Officer says:
The short answer to your question is yes. Almost every security camera available for sale to the general public are sold with 850nm wavelength IR LEDs. These cameras emit a very faint red light. There are some cameras that use 940nm wavelength IR LEDs which are completely invisible to the human eye. However, these cameras are often much more expensive and unless the camera is setup to utilize and record in the 940nm wavelength the 940nm wavelength LEDs will only show up at a rate of about 1/3 the distance that they are rated for according to the manufacturer. I.E. if the camera is rate at 80 foot night vision you might only be able to see around 25-35 feet in night time conditions because the sensor used in the camera is not optimized for the 940nm wavelength light emitted by the LEDs. I will tell you that I was concerned about the exact same thing when I started assembling my video security system, but after only using the 850nm wavelength IR LED cameras I can tell you that the faint red light emitted by the LEDs is so minimal in night time conditions that unless you know where the camera is you will probably not see the red lights at all. Sometimes I look at my camera point at my driveway while driving towards my house and knowing where my camera is I still can not see the red lights until I am already visible in the camera and being recorded by my video system. Bottom line unless you are going to use the camera to record in a location where the red light would get you shot at don't worry about the faint red light that is emitted by the camera. I will try and post some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›