Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a watch with solar face. It tells atomic time with grace. It has five dials, two alarms,world time & other timely charms, April 25, 2014
CITIZEN NAVIHAWK
This is a watch with solar face.
It tells atomic time with grace.
It has five dials, two alarms,
World time and other timely charms
(Such as calendar, timer, and chronometer).
* Pros
o The watch looks rather nice, and the festive watch face still fascinates me. No buyer's remorse at all. I have gotten white stainless steel, not black-ion-plated watch, because I have read that black ion plating could suffer noticeable white on black scratches if one is not careful.
o The watch came fully charged and stays fully charged ever since. I keep it on a window sill when not in use. I got a solar powered watch because my retired watch on occasion untimely died on me in the middle of nowhere (nowhere to get a replacement battery) when a battery suddenly expired.
o Hopefully now I shall have one watch/clock less to fall back and spring forward; the Navihawk will do it for me.
o Reception of radio signals in DC is not reliable due to long distance attenuation and atmospheric noises between Fort Collins, CO, and DC, so location of the watch at night is important. I have set up a plastic "cradle" for the watch on my window sill (7th floor) to raise the watch above the metal window frame, which would otherwise screen off radio signal.
I have assembled this "cradle" out of about 20 stacked tub-like ≈6"x4" plastic grocery containers, but anything like tall enough stack of plastic tubs or Legos-made "tower" will do. On one window sill, close to TV which is OFF at night, the watch would not receive radio signals, but 3 yards away on another window sill it has gotten synchronized the first night at High level and gets synchronized at High ever since.
o Luminescent hands in the evening are bright,
Stick markers contribute to glowing sight.
This glow stays on through the perilous night,
You still can see glow by the dawn's early light!
* Cons
o Controls are not very intuitive, and if you do not want to mess up settings, at first you better put instructions in front of you. I have printed instructions from the Citizen website, because the booklet of instructions that comes with the watch is small but about 10 mm thick volume and is not easy to read; it is good for reference when traveling. I hope that with the use my experience will grow and I shall understand and remember logic of at least basic controls better, although one does not need to "control" Navihawk much as it is mostly "set it and forget it" device.
* Wishful thinking - I wish I could communicate to Citizen design engineers my user suggestions:
o I would prefer to have traditional Roman or Arabic numerals instead of `stick' markers, but `stick' markers look nice too.
o In instructions I would call digital displays Right (or Entry) Display and Left (Home City) Display instead of Displays One and Two, because it is not intuitive which one is Display One and which one is Display Two - from right to left or left to right.
o Instructions say: "Select the correction location and turn the crown to correct the time. Turn to the right to move forward and to the left to move back", which is somewhat confusing. If I face the dial of the watch, I wonder how I can turn the crown to the right or to the left; if I face the side of the watch, with the crown towards me, I could turn a crown clockwise or counterclockwise, but not to the right or to the left.
o I do not pretend piloting Boeing 7-something-7, so I do not need internal logarithmic Slide Rule Bezel to calculate how many gallons of fuel I have left for my imaginary around-the-world flight. Logarithmic markers and characters on the Slide Rule Bezel look air-crafty but clutter the face of the watch to the point that it is hard to see where minute markers are; `Zero/60' marker on the Slide Rule Bezel is not easy to find - bold red | line or Y would be more prominent.
Watch face space, taken by the logarithmic Slide Rule Bezel (its static plus moving bands around the main dial are approx. 5 mm wide), could be used better in our times of digital computing.
o I do not need a Radio Wave Reception Indicator. Charge Level Hand, pointing at 2 or 3 AM for 2 to 15 minutes at the current regional transmitter - Japan, China, USA, or Europe - is of no use to me. Thus Charge Level Indicator could be made half or quarter of the current size.
o I do not need a 24-hour dial [Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) Dial might come handy at times]. It would be much more valuable for me instead of a 24-hour dial to have the Left (Home City) Display to show, besides the mere name of a home city, digital home time (hours, minutes, seconds) AND home calendar - home city is where I spend most of my time and where I shall use the watch most.
It seems that Right (or Entry) Display calendar displays date/day in world city as opposed to home city. Date/day for the home city is much more important for me than the date/day for a world city, which, due to difference in time zones, will regularly differ from date/day for home city.
It also seems that I can have either digital home time or home calendar, and only if I set world city the same as home city, and even then I cannot have both home calendar and home digital time, along with main analog home time readout, at the same time as I would prefer.
o I would eliminate 24-hour dial and group remaining Charge Level Dial (or half-dial, without Radio Wave Reception Indicator), UTC Dial, and Mode Change Dial at the top part of the Main Dial to the left and right of Citizen Eco-Drive logo under the 12 o'clock vertical axis, and dedicate the lower half of the Main Dial to digital Displays in a smiley face configuration.
I would then widen Left (Home City) Display and expand it upward and downward to make space for home city name, home city time (hours, minutes, seconds), and home city date/day.
It would be also nice if Left (Home City) Display would show bigger characters. High contrast white-on-black characters are readable quite well, but making them about 1.5 times bigger would make readout easier for users with less than 20/20 vision. Increased characters would also make them more readable if main hour and minute hands happen to cover them.
Right (Entry) Display would show world city name, time, and maybe a calendar, switchable as now with a home city.
Space at the bottom in the middle of the Main Dial would be left for somewhat enlarged digital indicators of SMT, alarms, chronograph, timer, AM/PM, and icon indicating nightly synchronization e.g. `Wave OK/Wave NO'.
I believe such configuration would offer optimal combination of quick and easy readout of uncluttered analog dials with reassuring precision of informative digital displays.
o The crown to rotate internal Slide Rule Bezel is located on the left side of the watch; at 3 mm it is short and it is set into an indentation of about 1 mm depth in the case of the watch, which makes it even shorter.
Because I wear the watch on my left hand, to rotate the internal Slide Rule Bezel I have to turn a short crown with two fingers quite a few turns, accessing the crown with my right hand and across the watch while trying to keep my own palm from obscuring the dial.
I solve the problem by rolling index finger over the side of the crown forward or backward, it works fine, but it might be more convenient to rotate simple external bezel with twelve 5-minute markings. I need basic unidirectional or bidirectional bezel to measure easily approximate time expired from particular analog point.
Alternatively I would move Slide Rule Bezel crown to the right side of the watch where one of the buttons is located, and move the button (or both buttons A and B) to the left side of the watch. Pushing left side buttons is easier than to turn the left Slide Rule Bezel crown with one's right hand.
o Instead of a crown I would prefer to have one button to cycle through modes, one button to cycle through positions of change, and two buttons to adjust item up or down, which would be more intuitive to me. Analog time hands could be set automatically without a crown per digital time set by radio or manually. When there are different ways of entering data [two buttons (A, B, A+B, and pushed for different length of time) plus a crown with three positions - "in", one click out, two clicks out], it is hard to remember when I have to use which entry method to enter what kind of data.
o It would be nice to dedicate one button, with crown fully "in", to instantly move main dial hour and minute hands to 12 o'clock position for 10 seconds when one or both hands obstruct view of digital Displays - now you have to pull crown to position one click out and go to CHR mode and then to pull crown to position two clicks out.
Alternatively, if Right (Entry) Display and Left (Home City) Display are designed as suggested above, then one can simply switch Home and World displays by pressing A+B to view obscured information on the alternative display.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]