Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars thorough and authentic in a subject that sometimes seems dense, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Ubuntu Linux Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for Ubuntu and Debian Power Users (Paperback)
I have both editions of this reference book. I liked the first edition very much and bought the second edition as well to be sure I had not missed any corrections or additions. While I have not compared the two editions to see what changed, I am, nevertheless, glad I added the second to my collection.

This is not a work to be read from front to back as a novel, it makes a great random-browse book as well as a problem solving book when confronted with a specific need for information on the Ubuntu OS or related matters. So many works seem to be a mixture of fluff and hype, it is a real pleasure to sit down with a book that is quietly competent.

This is a great question-answering reference and useful source not only for "How-to", but also "What options do I have", and it does its job with clarity and clear explanations where such are appropriate.

I had some question when I ordered the second edition as to whether I would be wasting my money, already having the first edition on hand. Now, I am glad I did, indeed, buy the second edition ... it is a worthwhile addition to my reference library.

I am a "happy camper" !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2013 1:30:40 PM PST
L. Anderson says:
Thanks for your review of Linux Toolbox. I have to agree wholeheartedly that "So many works seem to be a mixture of fluff and hype, it is a real pleasure to sit down with a book that is quietly competent."

You said you are happy you got the second edition of this book. Why? You did not mention any significant changes or new topics in it and I have been burned before by buying a 'revision' of a book with the primary changes being a new introduction and a new epilog. I suspect this author would not do that to us, nor the publisher, but just curious how much has changed in debian-land big-picture-wise. Most of what I have read so far seems command-line oriented.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2013 8:19:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2013 8:22:57 PM PST
Big Daddy says:
Dear L. Anderson, thank you for your comments, which I do sincerely appreciate. To your point: I have not attempted a studious comparison of the two editions. I find it frequently helpful to have two editions or two different treatments of a subject I am attempting to master ... just a change in wording can sometimes clarify. I have not attempted a word-for-word comparison of the two editions, but the out of pocket cost for taking a chance that I would benefit by having possibly two different, or even slightly edited, versions at my disposal was a worthwhile investment. In short, I was willing to risk the price of the second edition on the chance it would clarify something that I might find obscure next week or next year. In other words, I am happy to have invested the cost of the second edition on the chance it would save time for me sometime in the future. Was it a bad gamble? I don't yet know, but for the small cost of a second edition copy, I am a "happy camper" with this small investment in insurance.

Incidentally, I expected to find much of the subject to be command line oriented, which, as you mentioned, it is. My last significant immersion in Linux was about 15 years ago, so the command line orientation is pretty much what I expected.

Best wishes to you and I hope these remarks are helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2013 7:33:15 AM PST
L. Anderson says:
Thanks for replying Big Daddy, I do appreciate it. And I understand about the 'minimal' investment and that you are happy with your purchase (mentioned also in your first post). However, I could not tell from your post if you work in IT or simply like books as much as I do. In other words, what about this edition you found most helpful. My library is overflowing with books and my pocketbook is not so I am having to be selective in purchases!

But you did give me an idea I should have thought of earlier. I compared Table of contents! This was not easy because Amazon does not list TOC for the 2nd edition, but I checked out the 2nd edition from the library and compared chapter titles with those listed by Amazon for the 1st edition. The chapters of both editions are identically named and numbered, word for word, including three appendices, except the 2nd edition adds a Chapter 15 titled "Setting Up a Virtualization Host and Virtual Machines". The virtualization chapter is 13 pages and clearly covers graphical VM installation (virt-manager) and command-line (qemu-img) but does even not mention Virtual Box. Perhaps if someone is interested in Virtualization, the new edition might be worth the investment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2013 6:05:07 PM PST
Big Daddy says:
Hello again, L.A.:

You mention having access to the 2nd edition ... it seems that should render any further discussion moot! Compare the two editions and form whatever conclusion fits your circumstance!

To answer your implied question, no, I am not an IT professional. I did however have a few IT departments reporting to me before I retired almost 25 years ago! I am a retired CTO from a large industrial corporation. Although I have a DE in engineering, my technical interests are still very broad in spite of my age. We live in a fascinating world, where none of us has as much free time as we wish we had!

Thanks for an interesting correspondence, L.A.!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›