5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size!, August 19, 2010
This review is from: 50 - 1 Gallon Mylar Bags & Oxygen Absorbers - Long Term Food Storage (Kitchen)
I purchased these when I saw they had gone down in price - less than $25.00 - for 50 of each. I couldn't pass it up. Am so glad that I didn't!

OakTea was who I received mine from and I have to say, super fast shipping and everything was in order, and the shipping price of 1 cent, couldn't be beat!

I love this sized bag, it is perfect for making up smaller portions. I can easily fit 12 1/2 cups of hard white wheat inside, oxygen absorbers and have room to seal edge with iron. I don't have a vacuum saver, so I use the side of an aluminum box level with my iron (turn OFF steam) set on med-high. It gives the perfect sized seal. (Just an F.Y.I. - 12 1/2 cups of wheat equals a little over 5.5 lbs - which means, you can just grab a bag and refill your #10 can that you use on daily basis, which is what I do.) I was able to fit 13 cups of rolled oats, with plenty of room for the sealing. No problems.

I even did up a couple bags into smaller bags for my flax seed by making a seal down the horizontal middle of bag, sealing the open edge, cutting smack in middle of horizontal seal that I made (my box level is 1" wide), snipping off ends of vertical side, then filling as I would a full gallon bag, just smaller portions. Works fantastic! :o)

I have to say, I'm very pleased, the bags work like they are supposed to and the oxygen absorbers **have done their job as well. (**See update below) Can't beat that. I added some pictures to main image to show how they work in tandem.) :o)

Edited: August 23, 2010: (Update - you 'may' need to use more than 1 of the oxygen absorbers that comes in this set for the bags. The instructions that come on the absorbers state: Use 1 per 10"x14" Mylar Bag. I had to use anywhere from 3 to 5 per gallon and 2 to 3 for my smaller 1/2 bags that I made.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2010 1:59:39 PM PDT
Thank you for saying how many to use, I couldn't find anything at all about what these oxygen things do or for how long. I will buy some now.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 9:02:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2011 9:22:05 PM PDT
Court says:
Air is 21% oxygen. 1 gallon = 3785.41cc. So 1 gallon of air contains .21*3785.41=795cc of oxygen. The packets are rated to absorb 300cc of oxygen. Since the food you put in the bag should take up a good portion of the space in the bag displacing the air a single 300cc absorber is probably correctly sized for most packages.
I am curious what led you to the conclusion that more are needed though, I could have overlooked something like oxygen slowly permeating the bag over time. Though these bags as made specifically to prevent that.

MusicalRattie,
The absorbers should last indefinitely provided they are not exposed to more oxygen. They are made of iron powder, which rusts (oxidizes) when exposed to oxygen. The rusting binds the oxygen into crystals (iron oxide) which removes them from the air, and prevents the same oxidizing from happening to your food, spoiling it.
If you want to find out how long the oxygen absorber will protect your food, you would have to first determine how much oxygen is left after adding your food. You would then add absorbers sufficient to absorb that quantity, plus some extra.

Every bag has a certain leakage rate (permeability)(volume/time) that allows new oxygen thru. If you take the extra absorber capacity and the leakage rate you can calculate how long it will take until the absorber is no longer protecting your food. Rate * Time = Volume packet must absorb, so the Time until no protection, Time = Extra absorbers capacity/leakage rate.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 5:44:05 AM PDT
C. Hudnall says:
"I am curious what led you to the conclusion that more are needed though..."

Personal usage is what led me to that conclusion. :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 7:29:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 7:30:14 PM PDT
Court says:
By food spoiling? By the bag tightening around the food as the oxygen is absorbed? Can you be more specific about your criteria? I plan to pack many of these soon. The numbers suggest one absorber is enough if the food is packed tight, two for looser items.
It may just be you did not feel your food was safe without the extras, I am just looking for any knowledge that can be gained from others experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 6:49:17 AM PDT
C. Hudnall says:
I wrote the original review on August 19th, I updated the review on August 23rd. It wasn't food spoilage that led me to that conclusion. It was just as I stated, personal usage.

Oxygen was not absorbed.

The only I can say, from my experience, is that 'I' had to use more than one of the absorbers that came with my bags. Others may have different experiences, and that is wonderful, it means it worked better for them. My experience was different. I base my opinions on what I see.

My recommendation to you: test two bags first. One with heavy dense food, like wheat berries, and maybe something like rolled oats, which has more air pockets. Let set for a couple of days. Then base your actions on what your results are.

If it works better for you, that is great! Less work for you. :o)

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:16:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 6:17:36 PM PDT
PWTSM says:
Hello Everyone. I'm looking for some advice and info regarding this product.

Thank you C. Hudnall for the photos. I too was wondering how C. Hudnall came to the conclusion that the oxygen absorbers were not working. You say here "oxygen was not absorbed". Still can't tell how you know the oxygen was not absorbed. I'm not trying to nit-pic, I truly need to know because I'll be doing this very soon. If you're basing your info solely on how many of the absorbers you used vs. how many bags you used, well then if you cut one bag up and made 2 or 3 bags then you'd need 2 or 3 absorbers per gallon bag?

Anyway, I'd love it if C. Hudnall, or anyone, can explain to me how you know if the absorbers are working. I'd like to know if the bag shrinks around the food after it is sealed? I'd also like to know if you need to use some kind of suction to suck out most of the oxygen before sealing?

I'd also love it if someone who owns a Food Saver (FoodSaver V3020 Vertical Vacuum Sealing System With Starter Kit) has used these mylar bags with the Food Saver system, and if so, which model did you use, and how well did it work, and what size bags can you use with the Food Saver? I'd really love to hear from someone who has actually done this, not just read about it. :)

Lastly, I've been told hand warmers are the same thing, and cheaper. But I'm afraid to use hand warmers because they get hot/warm and that may damage delicate food. I'd love to hear from anyone who has personally used hand warms instead of oxygen absorbers. Do you have to "activate" the hand warmer? I'm not even sure how hand warmers work. Anyone, would love a first hand account. Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 7:17:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 7:18:39 AM PDT
Court says:
You will know they have worked because it reduces the volume of air in the bag by removing the oxygen. I did some bags of oats, placing one absorber in each bag, got as much air out as I could and sealed them. The next day the bags were very rigid, and pulled tightly to the oats by a strong vacuum. Make sure you shape them how you want to store them, as after they become rigid they will not reshape.

Based on my experience with placing material in these bags, I would seal most of the way across the bag opening, all but 2-3inches. The bags are difficult to seal when full of material as the opening does not want to lay flat and you are trying to press the air out. Sealing most of the way before putting the food in leaves a much smaller opening that must be flat for sealing. It also means you have to stuff your food thru the smaller opening, which can be a challenge as well. The oats I did were fairly easy to get into the smaller opening. Clean all the dust from the opening and seal the rest of the opening without worrying about pressing the air out. You can get more air out by clipping one of the corners just enough to open a 1/16inch hole. Compress the material in the bag and press air the air out of the bag as best you can. Then seal the little corner. I found I could pinch the corner of the bag with my fingers and that would seal well enough to prevent letting much air in while I sealed it. The alternative is to place less material in the bags to keep it from deforming the bag opening as much.

I ended up weighing the bags as the oats do not pack uniformly. The bag would be appear to be full, but after compacting it you could get more in. After finding that the limit that I could get in and still seal it was about 5 pounds, I made all the rest that amount.

Regarding the FoodSaver, I have the V2490. I did try using it on these bags. The vacuum will not do anything as the bag mostly seals together when you clamp it in the machine. I tried to over come this problem by cutting a tiny strip of food saver bag (just the wrinkled side), and inserting it into the opening perpendicular to the seal. This allowed the bag to vacuum out, but the sealer is not capable of melting thru the many layers, so the air leaks back in. The sealer on the FoodSaver will seal these bags, but I found you need to run it twice in rapid succession to do a good job. If you are doing many of these bags I would get a bag sealer like ASIN: B003ZG0ERU, and you can adjust the heat output to seal well. I used a borrowed mylar bag sealer for most of mine, which is designed specifically for mylar bags. They are much more expensive, and make a wider seal. I just seal them twice in two spots to compensate when using the FoodSaver.

The hand warmers probably are mostly the same. They are not rated as food grade though, so I would not use them without knowing exactly what is in them. They could contain something to control the reaction rate, or any number of other chemicals. You could try getting powdered iron from a chemical supply company as well, but in the end it probably is not worth the trouble.

I did not end up buying this product from this vendor, I found it locally. Some of the issue brought up by the posts author could be due to mostly spent oxygen absorbers. They do have a shelf life, I think about a year. If you do as I described above and do not get a vacuum tight bag, they may be used up and grounds for a refund. You have to displace at least half the air with the product as the absorber only remove oxygen from about a half gallon volume of air.

By the way if you are dividing a bag, you can still use one absorber if you sealed the division most of the way across leaving a small gap between the two sides. Leave the bag for a couple days to let the absorber do its work on both sides of the bag thru the small gap. Then seal the small gap to make the sides independent. The only drawback would be that any oxygen that permeates the bag over time would not be absorbed on the side missing the absorber. I don't think this would not matter though as the food life would probably not be seriously compromised.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 2:18:11 PM PDT
PWTSM says:
Thank you so much for your post Court. You answered many of my questions and gave me some great tips. Thanks again!!

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:17:51 AM PDT
Last night I put up 4 bags each, red wheat, white wheat, corn, and rice. 12 cups in each bag worked well for me. The iron and level tip worked great! I used 1 absorber per bag as instructed and had no problems.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›