4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Dependable, Comfortable, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Timberland PRO Men's Direct Attach 6" Steel Toe Boot (Apparel)
I'll start right off with what I didn't like and kept these from 5 stars so I can go into detail with why I still recommend them above any other boot I've worn. They are on the chunkier side in terms of sheer mass compared to some other steel-toes I've worn. The good thing about a less bulky boot is that you have greater ease moving in them and they feel more natural. There's also an aesthetic argument about the cartoonishness of big boots, however hopefully you're not thinking of steel-toes for the aesthetics. Also, having holes instead of hooks for the top 2 loops is a minor pain. You just have to lace-up every time you put them on.

These boots are exceptionally comfy. They run a bit narrow, but they have excellent support and are tight without cutting off circulation or giving you bruises. I'd chalk this up to the extensive padding. I wore these boots all day the first time I had them and felt better than most good days in my old boots.

The soles for these boots are thick. They'll give you 2 inches. If you're on the shorter side like me, it's a bit of a blessing. They're also secured against electrical surges so you don't get fried if a live wire drops on a treadplate you happen to be standing on. The grip is nothing short of excellent. I haven't had the chance to try it on snow or ice yet, but it holds on dead leaves and slick pavement. It makes the clunkyness bearable.

They are also waterproof up to your ankle due to tight stitching/seams, and a sewn-in tongue. Doesn't seem helpful until that puddle was a little deeper than you thought. Whoops. These boots will ensure your socks are still warm and dry. When it's 37 out, that's kind of a big effin' deal as our VP once put it.

The steel on the toe is thick and the weight gives you some comfort when you hold the boot in your hand. It will save your little piggies should you suffer the misfortune of having something heavy land on your foot. That's kind of the idea.

On another note, on at least one instance in my life I was glad of having a pair of steel-toes as I sat at a bar with a friend in a rough area. The bouncers had metal detectors. We went back to the car and I dropped off my SOG Trident that I typically carry and my buddy dropped off his Smith and Wesson. Point is, in a pinch, a steel-toes are like brass-knuckles for your feet that can't get taken off you due to a metal-detector. Stay safe out there.

Great pair of boots, can't go wrong with them. I got them for $100 and was pleased as pie with the arrangement.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]