4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty nice game, July 27, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3 - PC (DVD-ROM)
The Sims 3 is a really great game. I'm surprised at it's low ratings on Amazon. Sims games usually get at least 4 stars.

I bought it yesterday and I installed it (which took a good 20 minutes since it takes up 7gbs. So you'd better make sure you have enough gbs for this game!) and I was a bit disappointed. People put so much enthusiasm on how much less time it took to get in the neighborhood. I did not really see a big difference. My computer had always ran the Sims 2 pretty good.
However, this game is actually good for low-end computers. But the standards for low-end computers are MUCH higher. Which most likely would involve my laptop. It runs perfectly. Everything was smooth. I was surprised because the Sims 2 is usually at least a little choppy whenever I get in the game.

Create-A-Sim 4/5
I started by clicking on create a family, of course. And I was a bit surprised to see how much different the customization was. I was expecting all the bars to be in the same place they were in the Sims 2. But no, it's in different places. I did not get how to use the customization options until my second family. It's much too complicated to explain.
The personality traits REALLY are as good as EA games made it sound. There are several traits to pick from and they all influence your gameplay, lifetime wishes and socialization. The traits are really a lot of fun to play around with! But there aren't enough slots for personality traits to me. You can have only 5 personality traits so you'll have to spend some time picking them. Because not all personality traits affect gameplay as much as you'd like.
The male sims' hairs are COMPLETELY terrible. I thought that there would be options to make hair longer, shorter etcetc. But no, there's no option to do that. You can change colors a lot better than you could before. You can do highlights, tips and roots. I think that's a pretty cool option but it doesn't do any good for the male sims' hairs. Most of them are ridiculous emo styles that even emo guys in their right minds would NEVER style their hair as OR short and stupid styles that are really ugly. This was a huge disappointment to me. The sims has always had more options for female sims than male sims.
There are no zodiac signs anymore. This was a bit saddening to me seeing how I liked that uniqueness the previous Sims games had. This game doesn't feel just as unique anymore.

Gameplay 4/5
When I got in it wasn't choppy at all to my surprise. The sim walked in and made breakfast perfectly smoothly. I was getting a little disappointed at this point because I didn't really know what to do once I was playing. So after a little observation I noticed that the sims tend to just stand there before sitting down for a good 10 seconds. Or before they interact with people they have that annoying delay. It still gets on my nerves. And when the lighting change they will automatically stop in the position they were in and their heads will be moving around. It's a bit annoying.
Remember these three buttons that sped up time? Normal Speed, Fast Speed and Ultra Speed? Say goodbye to these. You will have to watch your sims sleep for 8 whole minutes. Wait for your sim as she/he works for 8 minutes. No more "just 15 more minutes!" because everything on this game takes entirely too long. I really hope EA games does something about this because its irritating having to watch your sim sleep for 8 minutes. I mean that's just ridiculous. If you're going to do that at least make the needs easier to satisfy AND make them take less time to decay. That would be a great help.
I did not really get what EA games meant when they put so much enthusiasm on how the needs weren't really a big worry anymore. Because they DO matter. The needs haven't changed. Except for the fact that there isn't a comfortable need anymore. I forget the name for that, sorry for the inconvenience. They don't decay any slower. If anything they decay even faster. The moodlets don't really do much except it'll do good if you're working. That's the only time it really does any good, really.

Skills 4/5
The skills are much more interesting than they were in any other games. You actually have to work for them. You can be a writer, a painter, a bodybuilder and etc. And you can make a lot of money from any skill you build. My sim is a writer and makes 5,000 a week from all the books she has written. I have so many other skills to explore at this point but in my opinion EA games did a great job with this.

Buy/Build Mode 3/5
Nothing new is really added to this. I've never really found any fun in building houses or furnishing them so it was a great option when I found out that you can buy homes furnished OR unfurnished.

Exploring the neighborhood? 5/5
This was a great addition to the game. I was a bit disappointed though. Because when you zoom out to go to community lots you don't exactly see everything in detail. There are icons for the community lots. Bookstores, Libraries, Grocery Stores etc etc. They have some really cool stores, though. I like the bookstores because you can actually buy what books you want. I think it's really cool how you can do that. Beaches? No swimming. Fishing IS available though. But I thought it'd be fun to go swimming or tanning but that's not an option in this game.

Overall 4/5
I think this was a really good game. However, it has no uniqueness to it as the previous games did. I think the llama joke is kind of overworked. That was incorporated into the first sim game and that was 10 years ago. I think it's gotten old by now. How about a new joke? Llamas aren't as funny as they were before. The graphics are just too realistic and it doesn't really feel like a Sims game. It feels like a whole new virtual life game. Before the Sims always had some cartoonish style somewhere but in this game EVERYTHING is so realistic sometimes you just have to stop and look at how realistic it is. The CAS wasn't really as great as it sounded. You can't change heights like they said you would be able to.

This was a pretty nice game. But I see it as the end of the Sims franchise. I can't imagine it improving any at all at this point.

P.S. I used to get annoyed when reviews didn't comment on the things I was so hyped up to hear about. But now I've realized that if people don't mention certain things they weren't that great after all. Since they forgot to write about it so that means if you didn't hear about some things that you wanted to hear about from me.. it wasn't that great after all.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]