Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

2.0 out of 5 stars Audiobook Awkwardness, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead (Audio CD)
Please note: This review is for the unabridged audiobook version, not the hard copy. Amazon lumps all reviews from all versions into the same set of reviews so I have no way to break out this review from the physical editions.

I "read"/listen to my books in the car during my commute to and from work in audiobook form. I was really excited about this book after seeing Brene Brown's TED talk and reading a bit about her. The book seems to be written pretty well, but this review is about the narrator Karen White and Gotham Books the recording studio.

The narrators voice in the audio version is extremely weird. There are a couple things that just make it so I can't stand listening to this audiobook (and I tried over a couple days in the car).

1. The quality of the recording is off. The narrator sounds like her mouth is right up against the microphone because the sound is compressed so much. It's not a natural recording at all.

2. The narrator herself uses the strangest inflection and meter I've ever heard on any audio book. She empasizes words at really unnatural places in the sentences and uses an inflection that made me question whether it was just a computer reading to me or an actual human. Imagine if you were to take a natural human voice and then use auto-tune to make it weird and funny. This is what it sounds like, hour after hour.

I made it part way through the book but was having such a hard time listening to it I had to stop and am returning this to Amazon. I'll just have to find another of Brene's books that are narrated by a different person or produced by a different studio because the combination of these two things makes the book to difficult to listen to for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 2:28:37 PM PST
Scott Albert says:
This was helpful...at least not to pursue the audiobook.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 8:13:53 AM PST
There's nothing worse than to get an audio book with too much drama. I prefer understated and underemphasized so I can internally do my own gymnastics and not feel too manipulated. THANKS for the tip.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:38:08 AM PST
A. Brink says:
Oh my I couldn't agree with you more! I loved this book and one of the wonderful things about Brown is her real and straight forward way of saying things. They need to redo this book with her or someone with this style reading it. The current reader is clearly an actress and I have no doubt a very good one as everything is far to dramatic for this book. Patricia Cornwell books would be a much better match for this reader.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:53:24 AM PDT
Morgan says:
I agree! I just purchased the audio form and the reader is so wrong for this book! She almost sounds mechanical and awkward at times. She places the wrong emphasis on words and it's as if it is the first time she has ever read the book. Lacking fluidity. I purchased the hard copy yesterday because it is too painful to listen to the audio version. The book is phenomenal and Brene Brown is incredible. However take a pass on the audio version.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 6:23:45 AM PDT
I really appreciate this feedback because it saved me from a probable disappointment. I will order the hardcover edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:09:00 AM PDT
A. Brink says:
Glad it helped you too! I have the actual book too but am waiting for a kindle edition because if you have the newer kindle, the text to speech voice is much better than it used to be and as long as it has text to speech enabled the kindle will read it to you.
Looking forward to that but it's not available yet. Fantastic book!

Posted on May 15, 2013 12:09:25 PM PDT
Reader Book says:
How did you return the audio version? I don't like it at all but thought I was stuck with it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 10:11:46 PM PDT
A. Brink says:
Mine was a library audio book.

Posted on May 23, 2013 8:47:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2013 5:13:36 PM PDT
bitzabee says:
I came to Amazon, curious to see if any others had the same experience that i was having. Thanks for writing your review. Unfortunately, the CD version of the book is truly unbearable to listen to. The narrator has to have an emotional and intellectual connection to the material to make these CDS listenable. Clearly, the actress who is doing the reading is not "getting it" and it feels disjointed when you listen to these CDs-- the words are so good, but the delivery is bizarre and disconnected. The message is too precious and too important to leave to just any actress/reader. Brene! Please consider recording the CD yourself. (I'm a clinical psychologist and would like to recommend these CDs to several patients who only have time to listen in the car-- hopefully, a new version of the CDs will become available in the near future.)

Posted on May 29, 2013 3:46:52 PM PDT
I completely agree. Truly annoying!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›